Another DGM Screwup

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dcscott, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy Thread Starter

I purchased The Collectable King Crimson Vol. 1 which includes Live in Mainz 1974 and Live in Asbury Park 1974. The problem is each disc is mislabelled (disc 1 is really disc 2 and disc 2 is really disc 1). This happened with the 1984 Live in Montreal 2CD set. Where is the QC?

The great thing is that the new unedited Live in Asbury Park CD is one best live CD's ever released. Bravo, Mr Fripp and Company.:righton:

2. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I'm bumping up this thread because I just boubht a copy of the same set and discovered the same problem. It's not that big a deal to me--I just need to remember that the labels are reversed, but have many others had this problem? And does anyone know if its worth contacting DMG for a replacement?

L.

P.S. I'm also very pleased with the music and sound on this release.

3. carlthewave

carlthewave New Member

"unedited version"???
    I own the original KC Club cd (a few years old by now) Is this newly released version different? Better sound? longer length? Let me know, thanks.

4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I've seen this occasionally with other releases. I think the 2CD Elvis Costello Blood and Chocolate Rhino set has the same problem (at least my girlfriend's copy does; I can't remember if my copy does though). And I have a 2CD collection of music by The Coolies (from Atlanta Georgia) that has the same problem, though with that goofy band I wouldn't be surprised if they did it on purpose!

I guess if it bothers you enough, you could contact the label. If they caught it and fixed it for subsequent pressings, they might be willing to swap yours out. But maybe for whatever reason they're stuck with that error in all copies then you may be out of luck.

Couldn't hurt to let the record company know that you are disappointed in the error. If they outsource the QC or not, it could help them be more careful in the future.

Craig(VC).

5. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

They mixed up the labels on 'The Great Deceiver' box intentionally. Fripp probably thinks it's funny.

6. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Did they really? I think mine are all correct! I'll have to give a close listen again, but I don't recall any problems (then agai the set lists are so close from show to show, who knows?).

L.

7. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

Yes, look at the spines of Discs 3 & 4 and then look at the covers. Quite 'deceiving' !

8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Maybe I'm missing something, but my Great Deceiver box set looks fine. Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3 and Disc 4 don't show anything to indicate that they are "mixed up". What should I be seeing?

9. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

The spine of the dark red disc says 'Disc Three', but the cover and disc reads 'CD Four'. The spine of the green disc says 'Disc Four', but the cover and disc reads 'CD Three'.

10. MikeT

My Collectable King Crimson Vol. 1 is labelled correctly. Disc 1 is the Live in Mainz disc, and Disc 2 is the Asbury Park disc.

11. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I ordered disc 3 and 4 for the Epitaph box and my order was completely forgotten! Later it was found 'under some papers on a desk'.:shake:

12. MikeT

Well - my set is correct. The red disc says C.D. Four and the spine says "Disc Four", and the Green Disc says C.D. Three and the spine says "Disc Three".

I got my copy direct from DGM (after, I believe, it was reissued once out of print through regular channels).

13. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

Weird, I always thought it was intentional to go along with the 'sleight of hand' theme of the box. I bought the set in a store when it was originally released.

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I bought the Live in Mainz/Live in Asbury Park 2-cd set a month ago at Borders, and they are not mixed up.

15. hatfield

hatfield Forum Resident

I don't think the mix up with the box set was intentional. It was corrected when Fripp reissued it a few years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.