Another Doors reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom406

tom406 New Member

I thought I read years ago that in the case of the Doors contracts, OK-ing new compilations was a way for the band members to negotiate new royalty agreements on the material, after their front loaded contracts on the albums and old hits compilations had mostly played out.

Some of you in "the biz" can let me know if this is valid (or just some dusty piece of misinformation I've dredged up).

TOM

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Curious, your CD's blow away the DCC Doors LP's? In what way may I ask? More bass, or top end, more hard-hitting or what?

3. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I was tempeted to upgrade my 1988 remasters a few times but did not because I was satisfied with the sound plus Paul Rothchild was involved. What is this the 4th time they are "remastering" The Doors? I will buy the reunited Doors CD before I buy another remastered Doors CD.

4. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

sure. I can't praise it enuf!

5. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I can't answer for him on the subject of the lps Steve, but as for a cd vs. cd comparison, the new set is a little better but that may have to do with the fact they're done @ 24 bit. They have a very natural and well balanced soundstage and prove to me that these recordings aren't nearly as crap as I thought they were from my myriad collection of orig. pressings and cds. Of course yours blew away all previous cd issues. I do notice still, however, those strange 'bumping' sounds on the track Strange Days (perhaps intentional?) I always did think those sounds were a little 'off'.

6. count.d

count.d Senior Member

Steve,

It's not a case of more bass or whatever, the sound just sounds more live, more open, cymbals more life-like, Morrison's voice clearer and more life-like, just overall better. I can't narrow the improvement down to one or two individual components. It's similar to when one buys a new pre-amp to upgrade their system, one's music sounds better all round.

I only buy cd's when there is no other choice of music. I'm a vinyl fanatic with a very good deck, so you can imagine my disappointment when a cd of mine sounds better than my beloved vinyl, especially when the sealed DCC lps cost me a fortune.

I took the boxset to my Naim dealer to play on his systems and he was particularily impressed. This won't mean much to yourself, but my dealer is fairly hard to impress, like myself.

I don't know if you've heard this boxset, but I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Kind regards.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No comment really. You like Bernie's version better than mine. I need some malt whiskey but other than that I'll be fine...

I assume you've checked your turntable out and it's reproducing everything "flat"?

The Doors were a great band. I'm glad they got at least one box set that was PRE no-noise, compression style. The next one won't be so lucky.

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Are the current regular catalog CDs drawn from the Bernie Grundman box set remasters?

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Ron, which box set are you referring to? I assume you mean the one with the albums in mini-LP sleeves. If so, I believe the current individual discs in the stores use the same mastering.

10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The Complete Studio Recordings...

The new box set are the same remasters, but instead of the cub the have resized the set to a longbox, and the "Essential Rarities" CD will replace with new rarities.

11. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Are you speculating, Steve? Or is the new Doors Studio Recordings Box Set, due out later this year in fact use No-Noise and Compression?

12. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Well Count if that's what 'ya like then that's ok.

On the other side of the coin however, I got rid of my Doors box set after copying off all the essentials (alternates from the 1st album, The Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel in their entirety, Essential Rarities.)

I like the DCC CD's much better.

They sound more real and pack more punch than the Elektras.

Compare Waiting For The Sun, to me the is no contest, the DCC gold wins hands down. Same with L.A Woman.

I know what I like, but if 'ya prefer the box set go with it.

Still wish DCC could have done Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel.

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Although John Densmore says the band doesn't need the cash, why do they allow Warner to repackage the Doors material over and over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.