Another Dylan comp coming up

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

What the?! Can this possibly be deliberate?

Wouldn't they try to unload these at $20 or $10 before offering them for a quarter?

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Very very odd -- makes me think they are either deleting them or planning to overhaul them. Perhaps it's both -- the new "DYLAN" 3-disc set will render Biograph obsolete, and the Biograph rarities will get added to an expanded (or entirely new) Bootleg Series.

Nah ... that would make too much sense. I am tempted to buy a few of each of them, though...

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Too late -- I just ordered three Biographs and three "display box" Bootleg Series. Who can resist at those prices?? I paid $8.00 for 6 box sets! I'll give them as gifts or save them for future generations.

4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

This can't be real. But for less than $1 per box set (including shipping), I'll take a chance!

Album Catalog # Format Price Qty Shipped
    Bob Dylan
    Biograph 1C3K65298 CD $0.25 2 0
    Bob Dylan
    The Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3 (Rare And Unreleased) 1961-1991 (Display Box) 1C3K86572 CD $0.30 2 0
    Bob Dylan
    The Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3 (Rare And Unreleased) 1961-1991 1C3K65302 CD $0.25 2 0
    Bob Dylan
    Greatest Hits Volumes 1, 2 & 3 1C4K90556 CD $0.20 2 0
    Bob Dylan
    The Collection 1C3K94973 CD $0.23 2 0

Order Subtotal: $2.46
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping Charges: $6.98
    Order Total: $9.44

Your Total Savings: $417.34

:bigeek:

Craig(VC).

5. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

This makes no sense. Why would they essentially give away this stuff for free? Couldn't this only hurt potential sales for future releases, featuring this material? This has got to be a mistake. I'm tempted, but I don't want any potential hassle with my credit, after the email that says "sorry, out of stock" comes...

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

there is no way the 3-disc set was really voted on by fans when you look at its tracklisting.

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but the website allowed each visitor to nominate only one favorite song. I'm not sure what kind of results anyone expected. The most popular choices were probably the most obvious hits plus a few fan favorites (like "Blind Willie McTell" and "Precious Angel").

8. 905

905 Senior Member

Nice to see Precious Angel is on this.

9. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

I agree with Pawnmower here, the tracklisting is pure marketing, they didn't took any "favorite" track.

Anyway this is a really crappy selection, it's basically the 2CD "Essential" stuff with a dozen more tracks added to it.

10. Well, the inclusion of great but fairly obscure tracks like "Blood In My Eyes", "Dark Eyes", "Precious Angel" and "The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar" show that someone spent some time on the track selection, IMO. The track list seems to be very balanced, with a lot of tracks from the commercially unsuccessful 80's and early 90's albums and at least one track from every studio album except "Self Portrait" and "Saved" (an album that I think is underrated, BTW).

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

i was never able to find out how to vote... but if you could only vote for one song then why bother? i was hoping for some more recognition of his last three albums. how could fans vote and have nothing but "rolling stone" from "highway 61 revisited"? bollocks i say.

12. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Yep. This track listing sucks. No "Shelter From The Storm." No hi-res either. I agree with all the "Biograph" part II ideas.

The more I think about it, no Dylan comp can really do Dylan justice. If hey issued any rare stuff, then I would re-consider.

13. Mike D'Aversa

I think they could do a decent one, but it would require 4 cd's. That's more of a box set than a compilation, though. If not for the late 90's/early 00's "resurgence", you might have been able to barely get by with 3 cd's. His work from the 60's, alone, requires at least 2 cd's (even just as an overview)...

14. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Hay, I voted for Liverpool Gal. I always vote for longshots. I will not buying this set.

Richard

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

i'm just surprised his last 3 albums are given such little attention. they are all huge critical successes and they make up most of his setlist every night. it's just unfortunate i can't find one reason to buy this one. oh well.. more money for that neil young box thats nowhere to be found.

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

17. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

Remind me again why we 'need' another Dylan comp. Just looking at the listings on Allmusic or even at the discs that I own myself I wonder why???....as others have noted...unless there is unreleased stuff here it is pointless for hardcore fans..unless you want the pretty box that the deluxe edition is going to be released in.

18. Mike D'Aversa

What do you mean? They each have 2 tracks from the album. That's the same as 'Blood On The Tracks'! And it's 1 more track than either 'Highway 61 Revisited', 'John Wesley Harding' or 'Nashville Skyline'!!!

If anything, they're possibly being given a little too much attention...

19. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

20. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

It might make sense it it were a properly mastered and mixed multi-channel SACD.

Richard

21. Does anyone know who has remastered these tracks? I am particularly intereseted to hear how the 80's tracks sound since most of these were not upgraded (apart from the Infidels/Oh Mercy songs) when his back catalogue was reissued several years ago. Also is the version of "Dignity" the same as the one on the "Essential Bob Dylan"?

DEFNINITIVE BOB DYLAN RETROSPECTIVE
    SET FOR WORLDWIDE RELEASE OCTOBER 1
    3-CD DYLAN To Feature 51 Tracks Spanning Five Decades
    Extensive Liner Notes And Never-Before-Seen Photos Highlight Deluxe Edition

18-Song 'Best Of' Collection To Be Released Concurrently

A career-spanning, three-CD retrospective of Bob Dylan's music - DYLAN - will be released worldwide on October 1 by Columbia Records. This definitive Bob Dylan collection chronicles the artist's four decades of groundbreaking studio recordings, as well as his unparalleled influence on popular music and culture.

According to Sony BMG Commercial Music Group President John Ingrassia, "Each new generation eventually discovers what millions of people the world over have known for decades: That Bob Dylan is a singular artist whose songs and recordings represent the very best that music has to offer. This DYLAN set will provide a comprehensive introduction to an important body of work that continues to impact our culture and attract multitudes of new fans each year."

Song selection for this comprehensive set is still being determined, and will be greatly influenced by impassioned fan lobbying on website dylan07.com. This site, which went live in February for fans to share thoughts on Bob Dylan's music, swap stories about first hearing the artist's songs and seeing him in concert, and more, has been updated today with the DYLAN artwork, a promotional trailer for the album, as well as the ability for fans to vote on the DYLAN track listing.

Visitors to dylan07.com will also find details on a forthcoming online photo exhibit, in which notable fans from the worlds of music, film, art and fashion will contribute images inspired by Bob Dylan. Fans will be able to contribute images, as well, and a winner will be chosen by one of the celebrity photographers to receive a Sony Alpha digital camera and have his or her image included in the exhibit.

Two additional versions of DYLAN will be released simultaneously with the 3-CD set: A deluxe edition featuring the three disks in a cloth covered case, and accompanied by an extended booklet of classic and rare Dylan imagery plus 10 limited edition postcards highlighting pivotal moments of Bob's career. The "Best Of" edition that will feature 18 songs on a single disk.

Bob Dylan is one of the world's most popular and acclaimed songwriters, musicians and performers, having sold more than 90 million albums and performed literally thousands of shows around the world in a career spanning five decades. His most recent album, Modern Times - lauded by critics around the world and selling more than 2.5 million copies to date -- entered the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart at #1, as well as debuting within the Top Five in 21 other countries. His previous studio albums, Time Out Of Mind and Love & Theft have been among his most commercially successful and critically lauded, each having sold more than a million copies and earning Grammy nominations for Album Of The Year (Time Out Of Mind won that award in 1998).

In 2001, he received a Golden Globe and an Academy Award for best song from a motion picture for "Things Have Changed" from the movie Wonder Boys. Dylan's Chronicles - Volume I, his recent memoirs released in October, 2004, was a world-wide best seller, spending 19 weeks on The New York Times Bestseller List. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 and the Songwriters Hall Of Fame in 1982.

Bob Dylan remains one of the world's top touring artists, performing more than 100 concerts yearly around the globe.[/QUOTE]

22. 1

23. Have these track been remastered again?

Does anyone have any details on who has done the mastering on this new compilation. I will be interesting to hear what Brownsville Girl sounds like along with other 80's tracks which were not remastered when his back catalogue was upgraded several years ago. Also, is the version on "Digniity" the same as the one which appeared on the Essential Collection?

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Here's a little news courtesy of www.searchingforagem.com

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

So there I am buying a few things during lunch at Best Buy when I see they have 3 copies of the LIMITED EDITION 3-disc version of the new best of Dylan CD. Now I have every album Dylan released, I have the SACDs, CDs, a lot of vinyl, etc. Do I really need this new comp? NO. The only reason I pulled the plug is because of the Limited Edition version. Am I a sucker or what? :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.