Another Dylan comp coming up

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Count me in as a sucker, too. I don't usually fall into the "deluxe packaging" trap unless there's new music to go with it, but I did this time. Not sure why, although I ordered from Sony to get the Newport DVD a month early. That's probably what did it...

2. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Hey a fool gets born every day...

Buying that from Sony/Columbia just makes them continue to release those idiotic compilations instead of going into their vaults to continue the Bootleg Series.

3. "Mastered by Mark Wilder"

He apparently was the guy who remixed 'Time Out' for the Brubeck cd.

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The iTunes version includes four bonus tracks:

Most Likely You Go Your Own Way (and I Go Mine) [Mark Ronson remix]
    Blowin' in the Wind (Live)
    Tryin' to Get to Heaven (Live)
    Can't Wait (Live)

No information on the sources for the live tracks, as it's probably in digital booklet that you can't download unless you buy the entire set, but you can download just the four bonus tracks by themselves for $3.96.

5. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip.

Actually, there are several "rare" tracks that have been released in relation with the anthology:

- the Mark Ronson "re-version"
    - Down Along The Cove, Live June 11th 2004 from the European CD single (previously available on a Bonaroo Festival anthology)
    - High Water (For Charley Patton) live, Oakes Garden Theatre, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, 23 Aug 2003, from the digital single on iTunes

I still haven't read or heard anything about the new tracks you mentionned but...

"Blowin' In The Wind" could be the live version from 2000 that was included on the bonus disc for the European "Very Best Of Bob Dylan, vol. 2". I'll have to compare

"Can't Wait" was heard live on a CD single for "Love Sick" released in 1998. From the snippet, there's definitely steel guitar and another guitar sounding like Larry Campbell's, so I guess it's from the same era (the Bucky Baxter/Larry Campbell line up) and most likely the same take.

A "Tryin' To Get To Heaven" recording from 2000 was given away with copies of "Chronicles, Vol. 1" in US independent record stores. That could be the same take. Two other recordings were also streamed over the bobdylan.com website.

http://www.searchingforagem.com/2000s/2007.htm
    http://www.searchingforagem.com/online2.htm
    http://www.searchingforagem.com/bob-rare-alpha5.htm

6. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

From a quick listen, Brownsville Girl sounds much better than the original CD release.
    I can't put my finger on it, I'm hearing instruments that I didn't notice before.
    IMHO.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

This was also another reason I decided to pull the plug and purchase the new Deluxe Edition version. There are a few songs that are re-mastered on this comp, that were never re-mastered before regarding a Dylan CD - and a lot of the early Dylan CDs are less than stellar.

8. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I, too, am a sucker for Dylan and limited edition and new shiny packaging. I agree with Mike T. - songs like Brownsville Girl and Dark Eyes sound more clear than the versions on the original CDs. I picked it up from an indie store so I got a nice black and white lithograph and a 7" of Most Likely You'll Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) - Ronson remix on one side and the original on the other.

9. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Anyone know for sure when/where this was recorded? :confused:

Sounds like last ten years or so.

10. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Searchingforagem.com, which is the reference site for Dylan rarities has confirmed my impressions:

http://www.searchingforagem.com/online2.htm

Blowin' In The Wind is the 2000 performance that had already been released as a limited bonus disc with the European Best of Bob Dylan Vol. 2 (along with "Highlands" live, so don't sell your CD yet...). "Can't Wait" comes from the European "Love Sick" single (CD 2). "Tryin' To Get To Heaven" from the promo CD offered to the American buyers of "Chronicles".

11. rdnzl

rdnzl Forum Resident

I couldn't resist that great packaging either. There was nothing new for me on that compilation, but somehow I had to buy it... The mini-vinyl sleeves look really nice and these small postcards are great as well.

Regarding the content of the CDs - I just wanted to skip through the collection a bit, but strangely enough I ended up listening to the whole thing in one go! I never expected this, it just flows perfectly in my opinion - they must have done something right with this I guess. Of course there are many tracks missing, but I think that only makes it more interesting - 51 essential tracks (I wouldn't take away any of them) and still there would be no problem to fill up at least two additional discs with different, indispensable tracks.

12. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

So how's the mastering of this? Is it loud? bright? Interested in pciking this up!

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I have been very pleased and impressed with the sound of this compilation as played back on my PS3. Dylan's vocals are very clear, nay upfront and the musical detail is far superior to most of my older CDs from where the material was taken. Great bass on most of the tracks too.

14. Sean Murdock

I read somewhere that "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is an alternate mix. Can anyone confirm? I haven't opened my set yet...

15. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

So, just to confirm. Is this new comp preferred over the Essential Bob Dylan in terms of track selection and mastering?

16. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Where did you read that?

There's only ever been the one mix. It'd be kind of weird for an alternate to show up now...

17. Sean Murdock

Dang, I knew someone would ask that -- I honestly don't remember, but I'm pretty sure it was on the internet, maybe a comment on Amazon or something like that. Which means, you don't have to give it any credibility. Whoever said it was an alternate said it was the "film soundtrack" version. Was the recording/mix in the movie different from the sountrack LP?

18. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

That Amazon person was probably just mistaken. I checked www.searchingforagem.com, and there's absolutely nothing unique to this latest compilation. Just the standard stereo mix, as found everywhere...

19. Sean Murdock

Thanks -- that's what I figured.

20. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Agree here - they do have to include that horrible 60ies Punk noise that is in this loud mastering more untolerable than ever - Boy that harmonica - he would long be shot dead in New Yor City if he did that ***** today. So CD 1 is useless, but boy then it gets nice - CD 2 has some fine fine songs and the very best is CD 3 this just flows like a dream, better than any other Dyan CD/ LP i own (and i have a lot) . An absolute rarity - tell me about one artist / band where his recnet outpot smokes hs "golden" years and his best phase in such a striking manner. CD 3 has the most unknown songs (from my point of view - i passed on one of the 90ies CD's).
    Faves so far Blind Willie McTell in the earlier version (i do prefer the one on the new album though - but a good song is a good song) and of course the 11 minutes of Brownsville Girl. So many great songs Blood In My ]Eyes For You, Ring The Bells Tangled Up in Blue and A Simple Twist Of Fate from BOTT - the best tracks from his albums are picked with care and knowledge. The mastering makes the material sound as it was from one session and that's exactly what a good mastering on a Compilation should do.
    The Package is KILLER anyway. But Dylan wouldn't deserve less.
    Who complains here has no clue or asks either for his personal Best Of or a Collection of Rarities and both wouldn't make sense ... :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.