Another end of the CD article

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by skipper, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skipper

skipper Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

The way of the future unfortunately....

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Another idiotic story...I hope his HD never crashes.

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The people who dump CDs just because they occupy space are people with no interest in the art of music. These people do not really care for music.
    There are still tons of people all over the world who care.

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

You are correct.

6. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Yep. And the CD will not be finished, the same way the LPs are still there. Ok, in less number, but they survive.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The CD will be around for years to come. It's not going anywhere, but it will never be like it was in the 90s.

If mp3 had lossless sound, it would make my job a lot easier. I want the CD quality, so I am converting my collection to FLAC and making backups of the hard drives. Right now i'm looking at going to T2 drives because even if I do a RAID configuration, that takes up space, and it isn't as portable or duplicative.

I still have around 1100 CDs to go, but it's going to be so cool to have all of my music on small, convenient boxes that are easily accessible.

The only thing I will miss is the artwork and liner notes.

That is plain wrong. They may not care about having a physical carrier and the case and all, but they care about the music. Why would they go through the trouble of transferring their collections if they didn't care about the music?

The only issue I have is when people use lossy file formats. I can understand the desire for compactness, but the sound quality suffers. But, then, we are audiophiles, and most people aren't. Whaddya gonna do? Just buy up their rejected CDs.:)

And, when those who did not bother to back up their collections have their HDs crash, they are going to come to YOU!:D

8. Meadows222

Meadows222 Forum Resident

Maybe the RIAA will go after the people mentioned in the article for ripping their cds and selling them.

9. michel34

michel34 Forum Resident

Incorrect.

Since I moved my music to HDD (FLAC format) I could start to buy CD's again. I was running out of space (had over 2000 CD's and 1200 LP's).
    Stored CD's and LP's in a dry place to have them as ultimate backup.
    Since the move I am buying more CD's than ever.

I DO care! :righton:

10. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Are our friends. :D

I don't mind buying used CDs at fire sale prices.

11. Grant

:shh: Don't give them any ideas!

As far as bashing those who want to put their music on hard drives is concerned, these folks must have very large houses and a faith that their houses won't burn down to store all those CDs and LPs and not back them up!

12. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

When I do a losseless rip of my entire CD collection to a Drobo, that will cover me for data integrity for all but a catastropic end to the Drobo itself. I'm considerring a tape backup (stored offsite) of the Drobo but really don't know didley about tape backups.

I wouldn't go out of my way to delete a rip of a disk I sold used but I do think a plan to rip disks then sell them is pretty cheesy.

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I should probably have written "often". :angel:

But even if you go with a lossless transfer and then you dump the cd or the LP, don't you miss the artwork, lyrics, recording information, booklet notes etc? Are those an integral part of the artistic statement and of the concept that the artist transmits through his/her music?

There are also the first editions, variant editions, limited or special editions etc. in which case the physical carrier has an importance in itself.

Space can indeed be a problem though....but you can make space for the things that are important to you.

14. Grant

Yes, I did mention that in my post. I love artwork and liner notes.

One major drawback is that you will need a computer if you want to burn copies for the car.

All I want is for that stuff to be backed up. I never cared about a CD or LP's monetary value, only the sentimental value it has to ME.

Think about that again. Space is finite, and if you have to ever move, having too many things make life more difficult.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the more people dump their collections I'll be there to pick them up. For me the CD is final.:)

16. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I'll file that story next to the "end of the LP" stories.

17. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

We know this:The middle-aged market for "Classic Rock" expanded/remastered CD's & archival CD projects,are the one segment of the market which is still willing to buy music on Compact Disc,and our segment of the market is showing only a modest decline in CD purchases,so the industry should be attentive to us.We're good,reliable customers.But the rash of CD postponements,cancellations and general game playing create a self-fulfilling prophecy for the industry.When they don't release the product,and we can't buy it,or we are worn down(by game playing,postponements,cancellations etc.) to the point where we've had enough and we no longer care,then the industry will moan about reduced sales.Duh.

18. michel34

michel34 Forum Resident

I add a scan of at least the front and backcover to the CD's folder.
    Yes that's a lot of work but it's crucial to me.

19. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Keep dumping them people, I'll keep buying. You're just making my life easier for me. :righton:

20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The convenience of having several thousand CDs occupying less than a square foot of shelf space trumps any "artistic" requirements. I can stream any audio file to my stereo system wirelessly and can pull up and listen to any song I have in less than a minute.

The cases and liner notes are all organized and put away in water-proof boxes, where they can be pulled out, read, and listened to whenever I care to.

21. Grant

All they care about is the youth market, and that's because it is the youth that is running the A&R at the companies.

22. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

You are getting drowsy. Your eyelids are getting heavy. You feel very tired and relaxed. Listen to my soothing voice.

Sell your CDs. Your CDs are of no more use to you. Sell all your CDs to John Cantrell. He is your friend.

I will count to three and you will wake up and feel refreshed, alert and ready to free up some space in your home.

23. Grant

I cannot wait until my project is done! I'm dreaming of the day I can box away all of my CDs and LPs. And, since I am also archiving my needle drops, I can get rid of more LPs! They really hog space!

24. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

I have a question for the guys putting their collections on hard drive.

Don't you enjoy seeing your CDs/LPs? I do. I like the visceral effect. When somebody comes over, I know they're thinking 'wow, this guy REALLY likes music'.

Room space be damned; I like to see my stuff everyday. :)

25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

At one time I did, but it eventually reached a point where I'd rather have the extra space than the thrill of looking at rows and rows of CD spines.

Besides, I worry about them less now. They're put away someplace safe and if the worst were to happen and both my hard drive and the backup were destroyed, I could always rip them again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.