another headphone question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rjp, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

if you could have any set of headphones that do NOT need an amplifier, which would you buy (recommend)?

thanks ahead of time

renny

2. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Opinions and tastes vary as far as the need for amps are concerned. I've heard the Grado 60, 80, 325 and RS 1 and they are all supposed to be very efficient. Another efficient model I have heard is the Sony 7506. The Grados are very bright. The Sony is highly detailed with strong bass and a non-distinct midrange.

3. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I use AKG K-501's. Professional studio monitoring headphones. I have a preference for AKG headphones, I've never heard any others, IMHO, that sound as natural and as close to sounding like you're not actually using headphones.

Cheers:)

4. cadillacjack

cadillacjack Forum Resident

Headphones are such a personal preference depending on what equipment you are using and other factors. I have Grado SR125's and Sennheiser HD580 and they both can sound great or not so great depending on which system I am using. With my Marantz 2235, the Grados sound great . I feel the Sennheiser really needs and amp to sound the best.

5. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Grado SR125

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My employer can order 24 models of headphones. On the Audio pulldown menu at NorthernLightFX.com, select Headphones and you can get a picture, description and the price on each model of headphones we are able to sell to you. We do accept check, money order, credit card or Paypal.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I know many people love Grados, but when I last heard a few pairs, they were *very* bright and thin. My reaction that "THIS is what so many people love?"

8. cadillacjack

cadillacjack Forum Resident

To the people that say Grado's are bright, what are you using for a system?

9. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I listened to the Grados with the RKV and EarMax Pro tube amps. Both pretty well regarded, and imo with excellent sound quality. If I could afford it, I would buy an RKV in a heartbeat. Right now I have a DIY amp that sounds great, but I should have my Melos by the end of the week. :cool:

I'm not being critical of anyone's taste or anything, but the Grado's are just not for me. OTOH, I know many people hate the AKG 501 which is what I have. I never listen without an amp

10. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Anybody ever have the old DAK walkman-style headphones? They were one of the very first kind I used, and they clipped like crazy in hot weather(!) After I accidently stepped on them the upgrade was to Stax...

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Hey, rjp, you know what I'm gonna do when I finally start looking for headphones? Take a couple of my favorite CD's and do some travelling - and take notes!

It'll take quite a while, too..... I'd guess.

12. BradOlson

I have 2 good sounding headphones, my Stantons I bought new for $20 wholesale at my employer (they retail for $30) and Magnavox headphones that sold for about $20 years ago.

13. BradOlson

14. BradOlson

BTW, you can only pay the retail price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.