Another Integrated Amp thread question...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry Naramore, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

...so my 25 year old Luxman L-450 integrated amp is starting to take a dive I think i.e. sometimes only plays out of one side unless I bounce it around. It might be just the speaker wire connection but since I've had it turned on for almost 25 straight years I think it might be a loose circuit... what do I know? Any ideals for a new one with comparable sound... preferably under $1,000... $500 would be better... :D

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

After that long, the switches inside tend to get dusty and oxidized. Sometimes you can tell this by repeatedly operating certain switches. For instance, on an old one of mine, with the volume low, I'd turn the "A" or "B" speaker switches on and off repeatedly a few dozen times. Or sometimes, the source selector could be the culprit, and I'd rotate that a few dozen times. Volume, balance and tone controls can also go wonky like that.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have some industrial contact cleaner I may try in a couple of my old components. Stuff they'd use on Boeing aircraft and industrial plants, not consumer-grade in other words. ("Tuner cleaner" would also work but I don't know if it is sold anymore...tuners in TVs have been all electronic for years.) WD40 is a no-no, though--it leaves a film that will attract more dust.

Hey, at least it's cheaper than a new amp. ;) But if you've got the upgrade-itis, go for it!

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Keep the Luxman!

Go to an electronics store and buy a $6.00 aerosol can of "contact cleaner". Use it while working the knobs and buttons back and forth.

Enjoy the Luxman once again.

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Keep the Luxman and spend the extra bucks on a new mattress :D

5. Ian

Ian Active Member

Another vote for keeping the Luxman!

Get fixed what need fixing. Check the electrolytic caps too.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yet another vote on keeping the Luxman.

My Marantz receiver (originally my Dad's) developed symptoms similar to your Luxman. I took it to a good tech who replaced a couple of dried out thingys and cleaned it up, now it's as good as new.

Cost me something like $30 to get it done. One of those lucky "only in a small town" sort of thing, but I bet it won't cost you much either.

Dan C

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I think a can of contact cleaner would do a world of good to the Luxman. And we know Dirty Larry has no problems with rolling up the sleeves and doing hands-on repairs. :D Provided you can access the backs of the controls, they should be easy to spray.

8. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Another vote for keeping it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.