Another music label switching to CD-Rs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Free_Hat, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Free_Hat

Free_Hat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone here have any recent CDs from Mode Records? Just received 2 brand new sealed Morton Subotnick albums direct from Amazon CA, both CD-Rs. Professionally stamped full color labels, no matrix #s, data side has that characteristic watery-tint CD-R look. No mention of CD-R in Amazon's product listing or on packaging.

Couldn't find any info on the Mode website. (Interesting catalogue BTW...)

2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Sorry to hear this. That's pathetic. I've been interested in those Subotnick CDs myself for a while. Forget it now. I'll look for used copies that are real CDs.

3. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Looks like Sierra is also moving to CD-Rs.

4. Free_Hat

Free_Hat Forum Resident Thread Starter

In light of the current discussions on this topic in other threads I figured this one needed an update.

I contacted Mode and the customer service guy was great. He explained they do manufacturing runs of 1000 for all original pressings and only CD-R for reissues. He also said some of their titles are likely to never sell enough to need a reprint, so if you order directly from them an email inquiry beforehand would help determine if you're getting an original pressing.

Apparently their CD-Rs are being done by Naxos/Nimbus. This suggests we may eventually be seeing more CD-Rs for classical music…

PhantomStranger likes this.
  5. Thanks for the update and Naxos label info. Man this state of affairs sucks. :shake:

-s1m0n-

6. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

Just received a big order from Oldies.com / Collectables and about half the discs (Dion, Soul Survivors, Claudine Longet, more) were CD-Rs. The insert in the Claudine disc looks like someone hand-cut it with scissors, and none-too-adeptly at that. Another Paypal dispute, another site I won't be ordering from again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.