Another "should I buy" thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wolfyboy3, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Now that I *have* read the OP, I retract my blanket enabling.

I would address your curiosity in tubes with a tube based phono stage or DAC.

The problem is, to get "tube magic" you would basically need to start over. This is what I did when I went tube, but fortunately I wasn't very heavily invested in my system at the time and it was easier to pull off. As others have said, you could insert a tube amp into your current system, it would "work", but its unlikely to deliver the sort of synergy that evokes "tube magic" and would almost definitely be a step down from the excellent amp you have.

wolfyboy3 and timind like this.
  2. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By... Thread Starter

I like the idea of a tube based phono amp or dac.

3. wolfyboy3

I think a tube phono amp may be the way to go.

Looking into tube phono amps I came up with this:
    Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 Vacuum tube phono preamplifier for moving magnet and moving coil cartridges at Crutchfield

or maybe this:
    DECWARE Zen Triode Vacuum Tube Phono Stage ~ model ZP3

I don't know if the Project would be a step down from what I have, but I do like all the adjustment options. Is this a true tube amp? Will I get "tube sound" from it?
    The decware looks good, but perusing the owners manual I see that if the cart's output is less than 5 mV they recommend using their step up transformer? Or did I get that wrong?

4. wolfyboy3

5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

You will need a step up for the Decware ZP3 (this would be a great choice btw) if you're going to use an MC cart, but most MM carts should work.

Decware also sells a Tube Buffer and Gain Stage. You could make any source have some tube magic with one of these devices.

wolfyboy3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.