Another Steely Dan Aja CD test thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bob2935, Jan 19, 2006.

1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

this sounds like steves mastering to me!

2. I have the exact same disc down to all the details you mentioned. A forum member told me that he has it confirmed that this is Steve's mastering, and I have no reason to not believe him, even if I don't have definitive proof in front of me.

The CD does sound great, yes.

I think it would be easier if we had it down to how we can identify an early Roger Nichols mastered CD.

Roland

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I revive a 1 month old thread and no one bothers to answer my question.
    So let me ask: Is Nichols mastering the USA version of the 1st pressing?

4. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Thanks Roland!

5. jojopuppyfish

JUst ran EAC on my disc. I have the exact same levels as the first one:
    90.8 --- 91.7 --- 90.6 --- 88.7 --- 96.3 --- 86.2 --- 97.6
    My numbers on the cd are:
    MCAD-37214 DIDX 000055 Manufactured in USA

Inside Ring
    Digital Audio DIsc Corp Made in Usa
    didx-000055 3

BTW, This really sounds like Steve's mastering

6. jojopuppyfish

IMO, peak levels from EAC will determine which version each member have.
    BTW, I have the exact same times as david on my cd:
    Black Cow - 5:11
    Aja - 7:58
    Deacon Blues - 7:36
    Peg - 3:56
    Home At Last - 5:34
    I Got The News - 5:06
    Josie - 4:30

My Total disc length says: 39:53
    and all start on 0:00

7. Again, this thread reminds me I'm happy I have the Steve 'Aja', but more importantly, is that I have the $2 original 'ABC' label vinyl lp, that sounds absolutely incredible.

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Post those matrix numbers! :)

9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I have some dcc and AF discs and its hard to miss his mastering. again, I would bet my version is steves mastering. I have no doubt.

10. There was a thread a few weeks back, but I think it got lost in a black hole back when the forum took a dump, so it doesn't show up in the searches.

From what I recall, just about any pressing on the original yellow and red 'ABC' label sounds scrumpcious.

11. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

If you ever get a chance, please repost. I don't trust labels... matrix codes are the only way to go. :) I have a yellow and red that isn't that great, and if I recall it didn't match some others posted here.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found this thread:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=30943

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I've been searching the most current of the many lengthy threads on the "Aja" CD. :p

Anyway, I stopped at FYE tonight and picked up a copy. I never see older copies of Aja or Katy Lied among others so I didn't want to pass on this one. I'm not sure if it's a "Steve" even after reading the many threads. After listening in the car and now at home I like the sound, so I'm not sure if I care at this point. But, I think I only found one instance of the matrix I have in a discussion.

This is what I have:

Backcover: No UPC, DIDX 55, MCAD-37214, 1977 & 1984 copyrights

Disc face: MCAD-37214 DIDX 000055

Disc inner ring: Made in USA Digital Audio Disc Corp.

Matrix: DIDX 000055 4

Total disc time: 39:56

No hiss between tracks. This is a Roger Nichols correct??

13. I'm still confused as to what's what, but factor in this:

CBS/Sony Japan (CSR) is part of Sony as is DADC (Digital Audio Disc Corp) USA.

DIDX marked CDs usually, but not necessarily, are Sony DADC pressed.
    DIDY marked CDs are Columbia House issued - but the matrix usually is a DIDX number and same press runs as retail sold discs.

MCA was and is distributed in Japan by Victor-JVC - MCA Victor. Thus Victor-JVC presses their discs. JVC also has a plant in the USA - JVC Disc America that made CDs for both MCA US and BMG Club.

There is a possibility that Sony DADC and JVC used the same digital tapes for between its Japan and US plants.

MCA Canada used Cinram, and MCA is distributed by BMG in Europe, so they used Nimbus UK and Sonopress W. Germany respectively. All of these are likely clones of the above tapes.

14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I just picked up this same exact disc. but, my total running time is 39.56.02

Ralph

15. jojopuppyfish

Run it through the EAC and see if you get the same peaks.

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I found 2 copies this weekend and both had great artwork and would lead you to believe the record also would be in great condition. they were trashed!!!! :shake: makes me wonder how they kept the cover and sleeve in such nice condition. :(

17. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

thats what I am saying. it has the same #'s as yours and the same peak levels. just different running time.

18. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:shake:

If I recall correctly, you need to find Bernie Grundman's cut. The others I have are terrible.

19. jojopuppyfish

Try your disc on another player and see if you get the same run time. I believe someone mentioned in this thread that each player might have different run times.

20. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

OK-- here we go... I have donned my flame-proof suit.

I have a copy of Mal's disc. The exact same markings, data ring info, etc. (and it took **quite** a while to find one, thank you very much!)

And, I have an original "made in Japan" CSR disc.

I have ripped, perfectly synchronized and null-tested them.

They are not the same mastering.

In the null test, when you sum the inverted waves, you are left with the literal difference between the two sample files. Although the files from both discs**appear** to cancel out perfectly (the resultant file has the appearance of a flat line, and is silent at normal volume), if you watch your meters as the "difference file" plays, you'll see the changes (mostly in the bass) that Steve made in his version of the CD. The sound level of the "difference file" plays at about -55dB, so you'll really have to jack up the volume if you want to try to listen to the sound, but if you do, you'll easily be able to follow along.

Furthermore, as a final nail in the coffin, I should point out that this very CSR disc is one that Steve auditioned, and declared was **not** his mastering.

So no matter what EAC says, the null testing verifies what Steve told me a couple of years ago-- the "Made in Japan" CSR disc is a fine sounding version of "Aja", but it's not his mastering. Mal's disc (with its **very** subtle differences) is.

I'm just glad that Mal finally turned up one that the boss recognized... after he shot down mine, I'd about given up on ever hearing one!

-Kevin

21. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

so, i guess the question now is: did Steve master ANY 'Manufactured in Japan for MCA' discs, CSR or otherwise? i believe all of my copies are were not manufactured at CSR.

22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

So the CSR and the Nimbus stay in synch throughout? If so then they are derived from the same digital transfer.....

23. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

hi all,

i posted this in another thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=1273194&postcount=316

...now, based on comparing this version with the MOFI CD, i believe that this one definitely sounds different...however, i still don't know if this is Steve's mastering or Roger's - can anyone shed any light?

:help:

i do prefer the 1984 Japanese CD over the MOFI, but both are excellent.

thanx!

:righton:

24. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I already wrote that the CDs do not cancel out completely. But they do stay in synch and the difference so small and low in volume that they cannot come from different masterings.

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

So what's your interpretation? Did either the CSR or Nimbus pressing get messed up slightly? If Steve has said the Nimbus sounds like his and the CSR doesn't then are we to assume the Nimbus is an exact clone of the original 1630 whereas the CSR was somehow altered - maybe dither was added?