Another theory as to why The Beatles ended.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

You cant change history and that song Give Peace a Chance is known to this day in pop culture. How many artists wrote 5 top 40 songs in 1969? Yeah charts dont matter but he was famous on his own and didnt want to be tied to the band.

manco likes this.
  2. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

John might have also realized that the Beatles peaked years ago and needed to call it a day. The band peaked as early as 1964 with Hard Days Night. The albums after were hit and miss. Granted, the non-album singles we’re still very good.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  3. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

There are so many reasons that the Beatles broke up. Many are presented here and have been presented endlessly in the past. I will agree that this is an interesting proposition, but in the end, I think John’s ego and drug addiction at the time would have kept him from being too envious of George and his songwriting.

These were four dudes not that far removed from being kids who in a relatively short period of time went from being middle class at best, to the biggest stars in the world and all of the excesses that come along with that. It affected them. Nobody was telling them no outside of the band and they sure weren’t willing to listen to each other’s differing opinions by the end when each likely had people in their ear reminding them how great they were. John resented Paul for trying to take over, but John really didn’t leave Paul much of a choice by checking out with Yoko and heroin. Paul tried to keep it afloat. He may have been too heavy handed, but someone had to step up. The others appointed Klein as manager and that further pushed Paul away. Let’s not forget that Paul was proven right in the end about Klein, but he was also pushing for his father in law to take over management, which obviously wouldn’t sit well with the others. George was feeling isolated and unappreciated, I’m sure, but his way of dealing with adversity, at least from public perspective, was to Be snarky. Not healthy at all. Throw in wives, Apple being horribly mismanaged and money loss, etc, etc.....it was bound to end sooner than later. There was no one reason.

In the end, amongst all of the other things I listed and many that I didn’t, I chalk the majority of it up to the natural progression and decline of bands. They weren’t stupid. They could see that it was becoming less frequent and more difficult to produce magic. It was easy for them in the old days. They still
    Had ability in the late 60’s, but it wasn’t coming as easily. Most bands don’t need to last more than a decade. Amidst all the chaos, I think they knew that their time as a functioning, successful band was up and they had the sense to stop. I’m sure there were moments of second thoughts and regret, but I think they knew that it was over.

Bcorig, streetlegal, Purple and 7 others like this.
  4. Lazerize

Lazerize Forum Resident

1968 was their most productive year and they recorded two albums in 69, one of which is regarded as their masterpiece.
    It was a hit and it is important but it wasn't presented to the Beatles so it doesn't speak to the material he brought them.

The idea of John not wanting to be tied to the band is a myth that was born out of Lennon Remembers, an interview which he later disavowed. It seems to me that he missed being in the band more than any of them. He was ready to work with Paul again in 74, and if that had happened...

5. helter

helter Forum Resident

No

6. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

The more people disagree with the OP’s theory,
    the more I believe it.

7. helter

helter Forum Resident

The more people who disagree the world is flat .....the more I believe

8. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

#FakeNews

9. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

No he wasn't. 1974 was the year he had the most positive attitude towards the Beatles. It was over once he went back to Yoko full time.

somnar, andrewskyDE and foxylady like this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

He did make the guitar weep.
    Insult to who?

11. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Will agree on the quality control part. George Martin was a part of that. Look at Let it Be when he let them completely have their own way and what a shamble it was.

Who wants to go to work and argue all the time? Especially when you no longer NEED to. They had money. Money continued to roll in. It seems like Paul was the only one who really was affected by the thought of a break up. He got over it.

John's involvement in Abbey Road was minimal. He didn't care. Blame it on drugs/Yoko/car crash...

Bern

12. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

To suggest that something this minute would be the cause of the breakup implies that there was nothing else wrong with the group but we know that was not the case. Bands (like any relationship) break up because of the deterioration of the relationships in the group. Nothing more.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  13. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

I wonder if George's guitar ever stopped crying.

14. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

The drummer in a band I’m in brought his wife in to sing “a few back ups” this has evolved into her singing 3-4 songs a set. I can’t stand her but I’m still not sure if I’ll quit before the drummer/husband does hahahaha.
    Blame Yoko.....it’s just so easy.

15. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

My perception as it is at least most recently.

John ultimately got on Paul's last nerve to put it mildly, and finally had to hit back.

As much as Paul's ego could get in his way at times, he certainly was fielding a ton of crap from the others as well as he could.

Paul had to swing in defense at some point. I think he tried harder than anyone at the time to move the band forward.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Eh...OK.

17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Paul. You see Paul touring and adulation for cash even now when he's like 90.

Trader Joe likes this.
  18. siebrand

siebrand music lover

in the end ... it matters little to me WHY they stopped being together.
    I just regret the fact that they split up.
    all the rest is .... talk for nothing

19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Now if the thread starter had said an imbalance in the John/Paul competition.....with Paul ursurping John.....then I would agree.....and it started with "Yesterday".....came to fruition on Pepper....and suspended on The White Album.....resumed with Hey Jude.

20. Bern

Bern JC4Me

That would make more sense. Don't think John had ANY competition with George..or any jealousy.

21. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

I think that the OP has a point. George's rising writing ability made the band much less stable than before.

If the two songs by George had been removed, Abbey Road would be another good album, but not a masterpiece, IMHO.

22. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I believe John when he said he was looking for a way out since 1966 and I think his attitude to George wasn't jealousy so much as symptomatic of the fact that he didn't have the energy to devote to coming up with new Beatles songs and certainly not to spend even more time working on a bigger concentration of George's songs which he largely didn't respect.

Purple, Binni, Bern and 1 other person like this.
  23. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Once you go from sleeping in a closet in Hamburg to being pop gods, where else is there to go?

Once they stepped off the stage in Candlestick Park in 1966, John's Beatles were done. There was a brilliant period of recording creativity, but the war was over. The more I think about it, the more I realize no outcome other than breakup was possible, it was just a matter of when. The Klein situation was just a catalyst.

The thing that I'm really sad about is that John and Paul were so pissed at each other for so long. Imagine if they parted on different terms, and guested on each others records. It's such a pity that didnt happen.

But the Beatles, they were done.

24. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Baloney

25. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Its funny, recently Paul's been talking about how he's glad he patched things up before John's death but I was recently watching the Today show interview with Paul from 2 weeks before John's death and its pretty clear they weren't on good terms, at least at that moment.

Trader Joe, andrewskyDE and foxylady like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.