Anthrax "Persistence of Time" 30th Anniversary 2CD/1DVD set and separate vinyl set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jun 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

Looks pretty cool:

ANTHRAX Announces 30th-Anniversary 'Persistence Of Time' Deluxe CD And Vinyl Editions

Vinyl track list:

Persistence Of Time" deluxe 30th-anniversary edition vinyl track listing:

Side A

01. Time (Remastered)
    02. Blood (Remastered)
    03. Keep It In The Family (Remastered)

Side B

01. In My World (Remastered)
    02. Gridlock (Remastered)
    03. Intro To Reality (Remastered
    04. Belly Of The Beast (Remastered)

Side C

01. Got The Time (Remastered)
    02. H8 Red (Remastered)
    03. One Man Stands (Remastered)
    04. Discharge (Remastered)

Side D

01. I'm The Man (The Illest Version Ever)
    02. Time (Live at The Palace of Auburn Hills)
    03. Got The Time (Pre Production)

Side E

01. In My World (Pre Production - Scott Guide Vocal)
    02. H8 Red (Rehearsal Room/Charlie's, Riff Tape/Pre-Production)
    03. Discharge (Charlie's Riff Tape/Rehearsal Room/Pre-Production)

Side F

01. Keep In In The Family (Rehearsal Room/Scott Guide Vocal)
    02. Blood (Rehearsal Room/Pre-Production)

Side G

01. Intro To Reality (Pre-Production)
    02. Belly Of The Beast (Tracking)
    03. Gridlock (Tracking)

Side H

01. One Man Stands (Pre-Production)
    02. Time (Pre-Production, Scott Guide Vocal)

2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'm in for this. Was playing my original vinyl on Friday, problem is its nearly 59 minutes long and the bass is almost non existant. I was planning on buying the cd version but now I shall wait for this.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. God. I feel old now.

rnranimal and Instant Dharma like this.
  4. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

Aside from curiosity over what the illest version ever of I'm the Man is, I really have no interest in any of that extra stuff.

But Persistence of Time is my favorite Anthrax LP and one of the greatest metal albums ever. So damn heavy.

5. The Hud

The Illest version ever is a live version that is a B-Side to Got The Time. It is very cool, but I doubt you would enjoy it enough to justify buying the whole set for if nothing else interests you.

Johnny Rock N' Roll likes this.
  6. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

LOVE this album - but nothing here that would make me buy it yet again.

And whilst I'm on a rant. Scott Ian said in an interview recently that he would love to do shows with all the Anthrax vocalists showcased. What does this clown not get?? How is this yet again not insulating to Belladonna. Get it in your head skipper....the majority of Anthrax fans want Belladonna....end of story.

When he was booted, it wasn't record labels, radio stations and anthrax threats that stifled record sales (despite your bleating in your book)......it was simply your band needs a world class vocalist to lift it beyond being simply mediocre.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Hopefully this is done properly on both formats. The original CD sounds pretty damn good IMHO.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Nah. Every band of that era struggled in 1995-2000 unless they got their 'classic' vocalist back (Hello Bruce!!). VH, Maiden, Anthrax were all on the ropes, GNR were absent, and Slayer/Megadeth were back in theatres. Even if they'd kept Belladonna, they'd've dipped in size.

9. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

I'd be okay with shows showcasing all Anthrax vocalists, because I'd love to see Neil Turbin singing songs from Fistful.

Also, I don't know about sales-wise, but man, Belladonnna's 1995 album kicks so much ass.

10. Almost Simon

what’s the general view of the original vinyl? It’s the only format I have and it lacks bass, too long a single album. I may be answering my own question but strangely I’ve never bought the cd. I’ll see what prices are. Early thoughts are I’ll get this new cd version.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Almost Simon

not heard Joeys solo effort. Must check that out.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Never heard it. That's too long for single album without compromises in cutting. Even with DMM it would have to be cut at a lower level and bass reduced to fit on a single LP. The Original CD was still in print a few years ago and went for next to nothing.

Almost Simon likes this.
  13. Almost Simon

Anyway pre-ordered this one? Looks like out this week. Amazon in UK price is pretty steep, £28 for2cd/dvd, just checking and rough trade in UK looks best at £20. Havent seen any reviews yet.

14. Almost Simon

Anyone got this? I havent seen any reviews, about to order. Out today.

15. The Hud

Amazon says I will get mine on Tuesday. I pre-ordered months ago.

Almost Simon likes this.
  16. The Hud

I liked a few songs on it, but overall I was underwhelmed by it. His voice is great, but the musicians playing with him are pretty boring, to me at least.

Almost Simon likes this.
  17. Almost Simon

HMV didnt have a copy today, price seems quite high online - even amazon. Ebay supplier has it for £21 and delivery by mid next week. I only have the original vinyl which is waaaaaaaay too long for single vinyl. 2cd/dvd looks to be the way to go. Just be nice to get a view on peoples thoughts. Havent seen a single review.

18. The Hud

I will give you my impressions whenever I get it. Even UPS has had shipping delays lately, not to mention the USPS, so I have no idea when I will actually get it.

Almost Simon likes this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just became aware of this. It's my favorite Anthrax album, and the original CD really sounds great (if I recall). The additional tracks don't look very interesting, really, but I'll be curious to see what people say about them once they have it in hand.

Almost Simon likes this.
  20. The Hud

Just finished listening/watching this, and the short review is this is for completists only.

The album proper is brickwalled, not horrible, but I imagine a lot of people here won't be excited about it.

The bonus tracks are worthless, horrible versions with horrible sound quality.

The DVD is pretty lame as well, basically members of Anthrax playing snippets of Sanctuary, The Number of the Beast and Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter with Maiden, but less cool than that sounds. Footage is recorded with a camcorder of the time period. Don't think I will watch it again.

So, if you are wanting Persistence Of Time on CD, I recommend getting "Aftershock: The Island Years" or the SHM-CD instead. This is probably the worst of the Anthrax Anniversary Editions, none of which are all that exciting.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00EUWXJPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_g4UsFb2M8F938

Anthrax - Persistence Of Time

Ctiger2, CBackley and Stormrider77 like this.
  21. agentalbert

Thanks for the review. Given that the original POT CD sounds great, I'd say anyone new to Anthrax shoudl just go for that. Or the "Aftershock: Island Years" set. Not sure why they'd need to go for the SHM-CD version, though as opposed to the regular CD.

22. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

The aftershock set is great

also id love to see a show with all the 3 vocalists. When was the last show with Neil Turbin even? Thatd be awesome

The Hud likes this.
  23. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

heavy as can be but with a lot of melody - great album.

24. The Hud

I like the SHM-CD because it has "Protest and Survive".

25. agentalbert

Oh, okay. I didn't know there was a track difference, that makes sense.

I just went back and read your post and now I understand, you are saying to get the SHM-CD (Japanese import version) of Persistence Of Time for the bonus track. I thought you were saying one would need to get the SHM-CD version of Aftershock.

I get it now.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    The Hud likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.