Any ambient recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ls35a, Feb 9, 2017.

1. JDM

JDM Forum Resident

Check out this cat's YouTube page as well. Lots of neat stuff here:

celestialrailroad

Starquest and D-rock like this.
  2. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Leyland Kirby - We drink to forget the coming storm -- a forty track, three hour collection of improvised tracks featuring soft piano and strings. Just the thing for late at night. A bit different to Leyland's other work as The Caretaker (there's no ghostly tapes of old 78s falling into disrepair) but still melancholy and haunting. Originally released back in 2014, and now available again. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for a limited time.

--Geoff

hamicle likes this.
  3. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

HiredGoon and D-rock like this.
  4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Erik Emil Eskildsen - The Winter Maker -- a 40+ min piece on processed Touch guitar, sounds kinda like Jeff Pearce with some Frippertronics. Noice. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I like this one. Purchased it. Thank you! Before delving into Ambient, I was really into Downtempo. Still am.

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

7. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Checking out some of the ambient goodies for Bandcamp Friday ...

I bought these releases on the Neotantra label, both are £1 for the lossless downloads today:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Motionfield - Signals -- glacial with some nice sound design ... kinda like Biosphere's Substrata in some ways.
    Specta Ciera - Last Light -- eschews the usual dense layers of fog that is so common these days for delicate textures.

--Geoff

8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops II -- the second volume in this series of a decaying tape loop. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for today only.

--Geoff

9. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Lowercase Noises - Matter -- a compilation of various EPs from this Albuquerque guitarist, ranging from gentle melodies to processed soundworlds. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp (may be for a limited time).

--Geoff

johnnypaddock and D-rock like this.
  10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Francis M. Gri - Boke -- enjoying this album on headphones today. Pads with crackles, sound effects, ghostly snippets of guitar and piano, etc. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

11. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Steve Roach - Bloodmoon Rising (Complete 5 Hour Collection) -- 4 long form tracks bundled into one collection. Another of Steve's "soundworld" series, if yer into that kinda thang. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for a limited time.

--Geoff

SJP likes this.
  12. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Various Artists - Elektronische Meditationen -- a new compilation by interesting contemporary composer Marco Lucchi, where each track seems to be a variation / remix of the first piece. There's 61 tracks in total, or almost 7 hours worth, to digest, ranging from modern classical to ambient to experimental. Noice. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

13. UltraDNS

UltraDNS Staying in Seattle?

The Art of Noise: The Ambient Collection.

14. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

Namlook Pearl II

[​IMG]

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  15. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

The album Nomad by TENGGER which was released recently.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Tom Middleton - Isolated Mix 100 -- the 100th mix from A Strangely Isolated Place, compiled by Tom Middleton from Global Communication, Reload, Jedi Knights, etc. And what a mix it is, chockers with the electronic heavy hitters: Jean-Michel Jarre, Tomita, Vangelis, Sigur Rós, Underworld, Eno, Steve Roach, lowercase noises, The Orb, Boards Of Canada, Aphex Twin, Ralf & Florian, etc. Three and a half hours worth of choice cuts. Free 320kbps MP3 download.

--Geoff

17. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Aloof Proof - Piano Text -- a forgotten classic from back in the day. Two long tracks of piano drones. US$4 for the lossless download from Bandcamp (or use the promo code 'infxnofee' for 50% off in the next 24 hours).

--Geoff

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  18. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

Do you ever seek out any Black Truffle (Australia) releases?

Your work in here whenever I graze is impeccable.

19. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with that label, but I see there's some Oren Ambarchi releases, which are always interesting.

Thanks, although much too kind. I'm really just recommending stuff that I like and which is not too expensive to obtain, so others can try and buy, if they like.

On that subject, this is an essential ambient album, and I thought it was out of print on all formats, but it's available for download:

[​IMG]

Sun Electric - 30.7.94 (Live) -- three long tracks, kinda similar to The Orb's A Huge Ever-Growing Brain, full of floaty bits and beaty bits and samples (including The Beatles, at least on my CD version). Got this back in the day and it still gets a regular listen. 5 quid for the lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

20. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Definitely my favorite from them, much of their other stuff hasn't aged so well. Saw them live in 1997 when they opened for The Orb, it was great.

21. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

Yeah, Oren founded the label in 2009.
    You'll probably find some releases you enjoy more than others as whilst it has a certain direct angle, the artists are also varied in many ways.

22. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

Too modest.
    Great work.
    I haven't heard of most of the detailed recommendations and I'm really thankful.

23. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I'm listening to this one right now, which may be of interest:

[​IMG]

Juliana Barwick - Nepenthe

--Geoff

jerico likes this.
  24. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

This Will Destroy You's album (Vespertine) that was released last month?

I've seen quite a few negative ratings on RYM, but I really enjoyed it on first listen to be honest.

25. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

The Ambient Library likes this.