Any ambient recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ls35a, Feb 9, 2017.

1. The Ambient Library

The Ambient Library Forum Resident

You welcome :)

2. The Ambient Library

3. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

The Body of Water and Body of Carbon EP's by Croatian Amor & Varg2TM.

They came out in 2018 and 2019, but I'm finally taking the time to focus on them as a pairing. Really enjoying the mood, especially the latter.

4. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

love that record...new barwick lp is amazing

ChrisH likes this.
  5. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

Cool sounds like something good to check out this monday morning.

6. Houseplants

7. The Ambient Library

8. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

How about Bohren & der Club of Gore? They're more like dark ambient to me, though they describe themselves as that and other things (like dark jazz, doom jazz, etc).

I'm listening to Midnight Black Earth now - digging it, darkly! I like ambient that is on the creepy side.

9. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Leandro Fresco - El Reino Invisible -- listening to this one now ... shimmering electronics and snippets of field recordings. One of the Kompakt label's Pop Ambient series. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for the next week.

--Geoff

D-rock likes this.
  10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I loves me some Bohren.

I wouldn't call them "dark ambient" though. Without getting into a classification war, that term is generally used to describe music that is typically composed of drones and dark rumbles, stuff that sounds like the howls of the damned. "Dark jazz" and "doom jazz" work for me.

--Geoff

jerico likes this.
  11. The Ambient Library

12. Houseplants

Love this thread!

13. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

I love this guy

Dissidence likes this.
  14. otis escalator

otis escalator Forum Resident

Ark Taurus: dark ambient drones

Dissidence likes this.
  15. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Brother Saturn - Fortune Teller Songs -- latest release from this Colorado ambientologist. The cover is a collage of images (including most gratefully one of my own) and the sound reflects a similar approach: layers of pads and loops, like a cross between the lush sounds of 36, IDM, and generated music. Noice. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

Also check out my previous recommendation for earlier album Brother, Can You Hear Me.

--Geoff

D-rock and SJP like this.
  16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Steve Roach - Painting In The Dark -- another "soundworld" from Mr Roach. There's quite a lot of these now and I dunno if I can tell any of 'em apart. But if yer lacking an ambient album of this type then this is as good as any. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for this week.

--Geoff

17. Zurna

Zurna Well-Known Member

Great recommendation.

I also suggest that most, if not all of the members of Will Guthrie's "Ensemble Nist-Nah" have work that is worth discovering.

18. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Joel Gilardini - For A Void Room -- a bloke and his guitar, heavily processed, kinda like Fripp & Eno's No Pussyfooting. Very noice. Apparently this kind of live improvisation was performed as a warm-up for the main act in a Zurich club, but pandemic restrictions mean playing before an empty room instead. There's about 10 of these volumes so far. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

BlueSpeedway and D-rock like this.
  19. The Ambient Library

20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

21. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

State Azure - Pictures From A Distant Time -- listening to the latest release from this artist today: over 2 hours of floating improvised soundworlds. Noice. A continuous mix is provided as well, for over 4 hours of tunes. Worth checking out if yer into Steve Roach, etc. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

D-rock likes this.
  22. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

In The Branches - Hidden Elements -- listening to this album today ... starts out with processed guitar sound and gradually gets more abstract. Noice. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

23. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Steve Roach - The Dream Circle (Remastered) -- I got this CD back in the day, and it's one of Steve Roach's first long form soundworlds. I can't really tell if this remastered edition is any different to the original release, but it's currently a "Name Yer Price" release from Bandcamp (for a limited time) so worth investigating whether you already have it or not.

--Geoff

D-rock and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  24. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Saariselka - The Ground Our Sky -- described as "ambient americana" but with its slow pace, chunky Fender Rhodes, lap steel, and hushed femme vox it sounds kinda like a more subdued Twin Peaks / Julee Cruise album. And that's a good thing! Very noice. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for today only.

--Geoff

johnnypaddock and 3Dman like this.
  25. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Nice, I see Chuck Johnson is on there. His album ‘Balsams’ is a gorgeous ambient pedal steel work as well.