Any ambient recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ls35a, Feb 9, 2017.

1. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Caleb R.K. Williams - Music For Barren Days # Complete Recordings -- this bloke started out doing a kinda ambient americana, and has lately moved onto dronier sounds, and this release (compiling various EPs over the year) combines a bit of both worlds in 10 long tracks at just over 3 hours long. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

edfom and johnnypaddock like this.
  2. The Ambient Library

The Ambient Library Forum Resident

Ab Uno "La Linea Negra"
    La Linea Negra is an independent project exposing through a sonic journey the encounter with a native Aruachos family in the area of Santa Marta, in the Sierra Nevada.
    Routine days spent surrounded by the mountains of the Colombian Department of Magdalena as special guests of a warm and friendly family who decided to share their customs, culture and ancestral knowledge with us, their "younger brothers" ...

This project aims to present a personal vision of the natural soundscape of this place and of those living there.
    A place that today, along with the Amazon forest, constitutes one of the most complex and important ecosystems on a global scale in terms of biodiversity and natural resources.
    Field-recording and sound design can be regarded, in this case, as a personal contribution to a wider socio-cultural action.

The echo of the forest, birds’ chirping, the spring of water with its branching courses, the systematic and punctual insects’ conversations, the tribal rhythms of the drums, the fuss in the hut along with the dark and lilting voice of the Mamo, these are all fleeting impulses of a landscape which has no accurate spatiotemporal connotation but that constantly refers to our primordial origins.
    On the one hand, the aim is to create a deep immersion in these territories through a real practice of deep listening implying a high level of attention to the innermost details of sound. On the other hand, this is the call for an unconditional act of listening that can somehow induce the listener through subtle reminiscences to a more personal interpretation of the landscape.
    Ab Uno shapes sonic material through recording, editing, and recombination of sound objects and acoustic elements carved into physical and cultural landscapes, in the voices of the wind or the unheard tales of tribal communities.

Recorded in the sacred territory of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, Colombia.
    Dedicated to the native tribe of Arhuaco.

3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Steve Roach - Back To Life -- a 2xCD set of Roachian soundworlds. A bit more varied than others of the type. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for a limited time.

--Geoff

rainbow dome, 3Dman and D-rock like this.
  4. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Thanks for posting that. I really like it. Just pre-ordered.

TwiceFan and Houseplants like this.
  6. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

He's also working with T.G. Olson now as part of Across Tundras and some other projects as well. Their last album was fantastic. Olson is a great guy to work with. We did a split release together called The Redemption Of Nameless a couple years ago. Last year I reworked six of his Inget Namm songs for an album called Northern Variations. I don't want to plug my own music here in case it breaks rules, but if you search bandcamp you can find it easily enough. It's mostly droney ambient stuff.

Anyway, T.G. Olson's stuff is here. He covers a lot of territory in his sounds.
    Electric Relics Audio Artifacts

7. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I've enjoyed the Across Tundras albums ... more rock/psych in sound, but there was a T.G. Olsen album called Tierra Del Fuego Blues that had a kinda ambientish sound, and may be of interest in this thread:

[​IMG]

--Geoff

edfom likes this.
  8. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

You probably have but if not check out her last one. One of my favorite albums from last year.

D-rock likes this.
  9. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Definitely. Like I said, he covers a few different genres including drone and ambient.

HiredGoon likes this.
  10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

11. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

sberger likes this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Did you get it from Matt? Whenever I order from him, he always sends me these personalized, hand drawn thank you notes on a 12 x 12 cardboard insert. He and Ash are the nicest people and fantastic artists.

[​IMG]

13. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Anyone mentioned Metal Machine Music yet?

14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

No kidding, that's nice of him. I ordered the Flower Room discography on Bandcamp and will be subscribing to the monthly plan. I like everything I've heard on the label so far.

sberger likes this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I'm betting you'll get one of these yourself.

It's a great label.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  16. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I'm sure these were probably mention back on page 1, but I recently acquired them and they are fantastic. The first volume is more rhythmic, the second is more Eno-esque.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. rainbow dome

rainbow dome Forum Resident

Tetsu Inoue's Inland is the greatest ambient album of all time, and I assure you that is not hyperbole.

Great to see this one recommended here--definitely one of the best of Roach's recent (prodigious) output.

18. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I can't recall if I've heard that one. Certainly the other Fax label albms Ambiant Otaku and Organic Cloud are excellent albums.

--Geoff

19. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

The Selected Ambient Works II CD versions are confusing: all (I think) are missing one track found on the vinyl, and some releases (mine included) are missing an additional track. Grrr.

One of the missing tracks can be found on Excusions In Ambience (The Third Dimension). I might have to look for the UK version of SAW II for the other missing track.

Maybe later re-issues fix this?

--Geoff

20. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Look up Daniel Crommie's stuff. He's all over the map, stylistically, but a lot of it is pretty 'ambient'. He's out of Portland, OR. His label is called New Weave, and he's found on the usual websites like Bandcamp.

I often collaborate with him on an ongoing project called DC Sound Collective, which ventures into ambient territory. Members of Jade Warrior have contributed to the Collective's albums, for those of you interested.

21. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Yes, the CD versions of this are missing a track compared to the vinyl, and the U.S./Sire version of this release is missing an additional track. I don't think it's a mistake, though, I think it was intentional for whatever reason. Maybe publishing rights or something? I have a UK copy and not only are there no track titles, the discs aren't even marked "Disc 1" and "Disc 2." They were definitely going for obscurity with this release!

22. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Get the digital copy here. It's complete and even has extras.
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Aphex Twin.

morgan1098 and HiredGoon like this.
  23. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

24. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Yep ... quite a few mentions of 36. Great music.

--Geoff

edfom likes this.
  25. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Kaito - Special Love -- a (mostly) beatless companion album to Special Life. So you get that pristine Kompakt label sound without the drums, hewing close to the Pop Ambient series. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for this week only.

--Geoff

D-rock and 3Dman like this.