Any ambient recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ls35a, Feb 9, 2017.

1. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Mark Spybey (Dead Voices On Air) sometimes goes into ambient territory. Not often for an entire album, but The Silent Wing is one of my favorites of his.

The Silent Wing, by Dead Voices on Air

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  2. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Love DVoA, but been years since I listened, gonna have to play Piss Frond (my fave) now!

Red Kerre is a masterpiece:

D-rock and edfom like this.
  3. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Mark has been extremely prolific the last couple years. Lots of new Dead Voices On Air and some great collaborations. And Red Kerre is fantastic.

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Neil Culbertson - 1969 Gulbransen -- a recent release, basically solo pieces on a wobbly old piano à la Nils Frahm, etc. Not a novel concept these days but has some charm. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Cyril Secq / Orla Wren - Branches -- described as "a duet between acoustic strings and processing, field recordings, edits and organic arrangements", so it's kinda like a Arial Boundaries as heard through an alien radio transmission. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

BlueTrane likes this.
  6. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

bvdub - A Different Definition Of Love -- listening to this one now. Very lush, with a mix of deep pads and subtle instrumentation. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

johnnypaddock likes this.
  7. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I was just coming here to post one from bvdub and there was your post. I like that one too.

bvdub - Ten Times The World Lied
    2020, Glacial Movements
    Recorded over ten months, on the tenth every month, each with one take. Really nice, as always.

[​IMG]

HiredGoon likes this.
  8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Can't go wrong with Brock. There's a bunch of bvdub mixes on Headphone Commute worth listening to, as well.

I was listening to this album earlier:

[​IMG]

Jordon Christoff - Enveloped -- four tracks of beatless soundscapes, kinda reminding me of Testu Inoue's 1990s releases on Fax Records in places. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

johnnypaddock likes this.
  9. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Green Kingdom - Seen And Unseen -- listening to this one now. Described as an album that "blends together soothing electric guitar swells, lush textures of warm synth pads, rich harmonic drones and subtle glitches with acoustic elements of delicate piano, [and] ringing acoustic guitar arpeggios" ... noice. US$5 for the lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

jsb! and johnnypaddock like this.
  10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

An Imaginal Space - Confined -- listening to this now, which features processed and looped guitar, described as a "collection of recordings resonating with themes of repetition, melancholia and limitation". This is the latest release from the UK artist but earlier albums explore similar themes and are also worth checking out. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

11. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Theatre Romance - A Familiar Place -- warm drones with echoes of sad guitar drifting throughout. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

BlueTrane likes this.
  12. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

A Veiled Frame In Amber - Descending Along a Vanishing Line -- a single 16 min track, with strings and a repeating piano motif, also featuring a lubberly female vocal in the background. Kinda like Arvo Pärt meets Pulusha. Noice. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

13. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

High praise. I'll give it a twirl.

14. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hammock - Undercurrents -- I purchased the Hammock discography on Bandcamp recently, and have been playing one album per day. Today's pick is this collection of 12 long-form tracks, totalling about 4 hours. There's still that mix of gentle post-rock and ambience, though more understated than their usual euphoric cinematic approach. Noice.

--Geoff

johnnypaddock and BlueTrane like this.
  15. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Ephereal Ephemera - The Songs Of Summer -- 2 x 20min tracks of shifting guitar loops, kinda Frippish. This is another alias of Brin Coleman aka Bing Satellites, and sounds more similar to the albums released under that name IMHO. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

TwiceFan likes this.
  16. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

17. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

Anyone check out the new Ana Roxanne yet?

hhjack and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I pre-ordered this on Bandcamp. Just got notice it's avaliable. Haven't had an opportunity to download and listen to it yet.

19. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

Listening now to Robert Fripp's "Music for Quiet Moments". There are around thirty ranging in length from three to thirty minutes on Spotify and YouTube as well as on dgmlive.com. I was inspired to look them up after seeing a thread about them earlier today. I love quiet ambient stuff and for me they definitely fit the bill.

D-rock and HiredGoon like this.
  20. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

21. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Marco Lucchi - November Songs -- a compilation featuring a track from modernist Italian composer Marcdo Lucchi, and a whole bunch o' variations from other artists. About 4 hours worth of neoclassical, ambient, drones, noise, etc. Noice. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

22. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

it's great...beautiful stuff

Houseplants and D-rock like this.
  23. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

24. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Steve Roach - LiveStream 09 26 2020 The Desert Eternal -- 2 hour live recording, mostly the deeeper soundscapes including some pieces from classics such as Dreamtime Return and Structures From Silence. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp for a limited time.

--Geoff

25. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Vidna Obmana - The River Of Appearance -- woke up this morning and had the piano line from the opening track of this 1996 album from Belgian composer Dirk Serries (aka Vidna Obmana) buzzing in my brain. Expect lots of Roachian gauzy layers, with piano and light tribal elements.

--Geoff