Any BORIS fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gmku, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

Excited to see news of the new albums, but bummed by no Detroit tour date. Really don’t want to drive to Grand Rapids on a Sunday night for a show, even if it’s Boris. But maybe I should...

2. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Very happy to see Third Man is reissuing Akuma No Uta and Feedbacker on vinyl as well. They're the most major holes in the collection now, besides the obvious Heavy Rocks 2002 that doesn't exist (yet!).

ralphb, pghmusiclover and Mr. H like this.
  3. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

can't wait to get tickets for the brooklyn show!

4. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I am particularly happy that my daughter wants to go see them with me on this tour, probably at the Brooklyn show that @crazy eights mentioned above.

5. crazy eights

i'll have my daughter with me as well, :righton: tickets go n sale friday at 10am BORIS @ Elsewhere (Hall)

i hope she doesn't figure out what a pathetic fanboi i am of wata

bhasenstab, GuidedByJonO))) and Mr. H like this.
  6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

They need to reissue Flood.

7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

8. crazy eights

i just hope they'll have lots of goodies at the merch table, just tossed a tenner in the sock drawer and should have a nice bankroll by showtime, very excited to see them again, actually haven't been this excited since the last breeders show

9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

There’s usually some nice tour exclusives.

MungoMusic and crazy eights like this.
  10. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

On one of their last times around in Boston, I picked up the excellent "Boris performing 'flood' " tour CD from the merch table for $10 or $12 (I think, way under its typical going rate on Discogs in any case.) It's a scorchingly beautiful 36-minute rendition from 2012 with Michio Kurihara as "support guitar player" and would make a fine inclusion in any future deluxe reissue of Flood.

11. Boris are pretty aggravating in this regard - the CD is totally different from the LP which is different from the foreign edition of the same album. :realmad:

ralphb likes this.
  12. ralphb

Don't get me started on Smile.:laugh:

13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

More music to love!

ralphb likes this.
  14. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

What about Vein? Not just two different mixes, but entirely different recordings released in different countries. When they finally made it to CD years later, they’re still different!

15. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

Wow, I was there! You can see me at around 4:09 the tallest person on the right. What a show!
    Jim O’Rourke was there in the audience too, super nice guy. I got a Wata fuzz pedal at the merch table.

Maurice and Mr. H like this.
  16. seasonsinthesky

Yeah, I realized later that I'd forgotten to include Flood when I mentioned HR2002 missing in the LP collection. How dumb of me!

Something makes me think Quattro & MIDI Creative labels have some sort of rights lock on these albums. Otherwise I think Boris realize making LPs of them is a no-brainer. They love vinyl and my impression is that the only reason any given release doesn't have an LP pressing is because someone is preventing them from doing so. Another good example is the recent trio of noise experiment albums (Warpath/Asia/Urban Dance) being primed for LPs (they run ~40 minutes, broken into songs that equal ~20 minute sides) but not being released on the format.

17. ralphb

The problem with Flood being on vinyl is that the flow of the thing is what makes it so wonderful. Having to get up and flip the record every 18 minutes would definitely have an effect on how the album hits you.

GodShifter and Mr. H like this.
  18. seasonsinthesky

I can confirm that's how it goes with Absolutego. They didn't edit it or anything, the song literally just stops at the end of the side, hard cut, and then continues on the next side where it left off. No fades. I suspect Flood would be each individual track on a side with no editing to make them make sense at the start/ends of sides.

ralphb and Mr. H like this.
  19. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Does anyone else love Kanau 1 & 2 from the More Echoes Touching Air Landscape split CD? For me it's Boris at their absolute best - 15 minutes of drone that then segues beautifully into psychedelic heavy rocking amazingness - spot the Damo era Can tribute!

Boris - Kanau Pt 2

seasonsinthesky and Mr. H like this.
  20. John

John Senior Member

Not to mention his narration on the Grinch, timeless stuff!

andy749 likes this.
  21. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Saw them with Sleep and Sunn))) at Mohawk in Austin. Was tremendous. I believe they are coming back through town, will need to see when.

Greenalishi, Maurice and Mr. H like this.
  22. crazy eights

got tix for the brooklyn show this morning, very stoked

23. crazy eights

so,,,, who else is going to see them play live? may be the last time they play in the states, tickets still available $22 each -are you really going to miss it? i guarantee you'll regret it if you don't go

24. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

:wave:

crazy eights likes this.
  25. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I missed them last tour, but that's the first time in years I've missed them. I'll be in DC.

crazy eights likes this.