Any brooks and dunn fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

i thought they were pretty good. ronnie dunn is a great singer. anyone else like them?

John Porcellino and Karnak like this.
  2. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I liked them early on but I thought they got a little predictable later on.

Zoot Marimba and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

i agree. the last song i really liked by them was "ain't nothing bout you" and i remember it had been several years, 2-3, before that since i like a song by them a lot

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think they were friends with Johnny Cash and he had something to do with helping to break them.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

i know they both had been kicking around the music scene for a for years before they were teamed up by tim dubois

6. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I enjoyed their debut album the most with "Still in Love With You" being a personal top 10 as far as 90s country ballads go. Most of their following albums until Steers & Stripes are a mixed bag. Then after that I kind of lost interest until Hillbilly Deluxe which was OK. They had some great singles through to the end.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

you liked hillbilly deluxe? what did you think of their final album?

8. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Hillbilly Deluxe came out at the height of my Contemporary Country obsession, the first 6 or so songs I felt were pretty strong. I actually kind of liked "Play Something Country", before songs like that became annoyingly common...

I really can't recall anything special from Cowboy Town besides "Proud of the House We Built", to be honest. It just felt like a rehashing of everything done since Steers & Stripes. I guess you could say that about Hillbilly Deluxe as well, but you know, it's a personal feelings thing. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

My Maria is a great song, but I liked it a lot better when it was called Shambala. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Rhett and Karnak like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

thanks. I have pretty much everything they did but haven't listened in years. I like the last new thing they did was a song with billy gibbons. I like "play something country" a bit and agree after that similar songs started popping up constantly

heard any of their solo stuff?

11. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I really liked the music from the first half of their career. They seem to become unfocused and lost their way in the latter half in my opinion. Too bad they haven't made another run at it. I haven't heard any of their solo stuff. Ronnie Dunn seems like he's kind of full of himself, so his solo stuff never interested me.

12. Matthew Tate

they ended because they started to get less popular as they were both over 50 years old a decade ago. I agree the first 3-4 albums are better than what came after. I liked the mix of honky tonk, country, rock and some modern touches. as their career went on they seemed to go a little too much towards the modern stuff.

there is a new ronnie dunn single with kix brooks singing on it. they might be the closest we get to a new tune by them. honestly though ronnie was the talent of the duo as he was the best singer and wrote more material

spsimmons and driverdrummer like this.
  13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree with this big time.

14. Matthew Tate

yeah its shocking dunn had no success before he teamed up with brooks but what did brooks really do? he is talented but there are lots of singers/writers better than him. I think somehow they just hit it off as friends and stuck together

15. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I do own a copy of Kix Brooks' 1989 solo album on CD. It sounds pretty similar to his tracks from the B&D albums, basically twangy rock but lacking any standouts.

I haven't heard any of Ronnie Dunn's solo material except maybe his first single which got a little bit of airplay, but it left no impression and I haven't heard anything else. I read somewhere that he recently released a single featuring Brooks, something about being drunk?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I like the hits, and there were quite a few. They were kinda like the Hall and Oates of country for awhile there! :)

17. Matthew Tate

yup its called "damn drunk". ronnies first solo album is really good. imo better than the last 2 or so brooks and dunn releases because it goes away a bit from more modern influences. I haven't heard is 2nd solo album as it was hard to get on cd

hominy likes this.
  18. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

I don't dig them or their corporate Nashville ilk.

I worked a show in the mid-90s where they opened for Reba McEntire, and the Brooks & Dunn lead-man for their crew ( I was on the carpenter's crew, Local 13 I.A.T.S.E.) almost got his jaw broken for his behavior. By me. Disgusting to the few females on the crew and tried to get cute with me and my mates, while he was obviously high/drunk.

19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I'm a fan of the bass player for Brooks & Dunn/Ronnie Dunn who is Terry McBride formerly of McBride & The Ride. Martina McBride is the very famous sister of Terry. He's an exceptional bassist/guitarist/vocalist/songwriter. Catch Terry live on tour with Ronnie!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    driverdrummer, MYQ1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Not a fan of their more 'raucous' stuff, but 'Neon Moon' is a great song-and in my book a 90s country classic. There are other good ones too, but 'Getting Better All The Time' is one of their best.

21. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I thought Hillbilly Deluxe was excellent, the ones before & after it not so much.

22. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Don't know why but I always likened them to the ZZ Top of country.
    That CMT Crossroads concert both groups did needs a commercial release:

[​IMG]

driverdrummer and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

I never really lumped them in with the corporate Nashville scene even though yes I know they used some of those Nashville studio guys and sometimes a few of the songwriters, usually their friend terry mcbride

Karnak likes this.
  24. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I always kind of saw Brooks n Dunn like Hall and Oates. Hall (Brooks) was the one with the most bankable talent, and the other pretended to play the guitar and had a mustache.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I meant Hall was more like Dunn in my above post. I just now caught that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.