Any 'Cabin In The Sky' Fans here?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by willy, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga Thread Starter

I've yet to see the movie but I can't stop playing the Soundtrack CD - it is astonisingly good! The songs and interludes are fabulous!

Is the movie recommended?

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

3. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Yes, it's quite good and, due to its "niche market" - unique compared to other films of its time. Very spiritual and openly faith-filled, it's a humbling experience to view it from our times. Meanwhile, it had the best of "Hollywood" production values. No B movie, it predated Hollywood's really doing a bad job on features, no matter which audience or its size.

Minelli was quite an artist and took the film seriously. Eddie "Rochester" Anderson took it as an opportunity to stretch from his radio fame, but adds a lot of good acting. Of course, the musicians and singers need no introduction, even to modern audiences.

Well worthwhile, it runs frequently on Turner Classic Movies.

4. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I haven't seen it yet, but there is a scenes in the "That's Entertainment III" IIRC (Lena Horne singing in the bath tub). Hard to go wrong with a Vincent Minnelli musical.

A scene showing Lena Horne singing "Ain't It the Truth" while taking a bath was cut, but later appeared in Studio Visit (1946).

MGM recycled some of its tornado footage from The Wizard of Oz (1939) for a key scene in this movie.

Apart from the "Shine" sequence, this was Vincente Minnelli's first sole directing assignment. Minnelli had been directing on Broadway, which gave this film a feel that had nothing of the typical "Hollywood Studio System" in it.

This was recently released to DVD. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews20/cabin_in_the_sky_dvd_review.htm

5. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga Thread Starter

Thanks all! Just looking at the stills over at that dvdbeaver site, I'm going to have to get this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.