Any chance there will be any other Doors titles released on DVD-A???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

It would be interesting to hear their debut on DVD-A.

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

It's my guess that there might not be enough multi-track information to make a decent 5.1 mix on any of their other albums.

I own the DVD-A of LA Woman. I find it to be a mixed bag.

3. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

And therein lies the rub.....this is my concern with regard to the future of this format as a multi channel music carrier - i.e. many classic recordings will just not stand up to the requirements of multi channel music.

OK for modern recordings and some classic recordings with the required information. Perhaps that will be good enough for many.

2 channel at the moment for me thanks...

:rolleyes:

4. vex

vex New Member

"Best of The Doors" was originally released as a four-channel Quadradisc LP, so this could conceivably be released on DVD-A as either a straight transfer from the original quad masters or as a remix.

The mix of this one would probably not hold up well against today's surround-sound standards and customer expectations. The original was a very discrete mix, but due to the Doors' "stripped-down" approach, there really wasn't a lot of tracks to work with!

I mean, think about it, you pretty much have the four members and their corresponding instruments: vocals, organ, guitar and drums. The original quad mix of the "Best of" LP pretty much throws these four elements in each speaker, with the exception of the vocals that are spread evenly across the front. This was a common practice during the quad era. Engineers were still getting used to the idea of quad and sometimes not sure what they were to do with it. The same thing happened when stereo was still young. How about those early Beatles stereo mixes?

Even with this simplistic approach, I think the surround mix of these songs sound great! Most people probably wouldn't like being surrounded by the band, but the discrete and simple nature of the mix really helps you disect the mix and be able to listen to each track individually. This gives you an insight into the music that is usually reserved for engineers who can play with the multi-track master. I mean, if I want to listen just to Ray's organ work or Robby's guitar, I can.

Anyway, there is hope that we will see more Doors stuff on DVD-A in the future.

5. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

So basically Warner Brothers won't release a title on DVD-A if it can't be remixed to 5.1? I only play the stereo version anyhow.

6. vex

vex New Member

Stereo Only DVD-A

Yeah, this is one thing I can't understand. DVD-A is an excellent hi-rez format no matter how many channels are employed. There is no good reason why this format cannot be used solely for good ol' stereo. Smaller "audiophile" type labels are doing this, but the majors are pushing for multi-channel.

Now, despite the emphasis on multi-channel, just about EVERY SINGLE DVD-A title out there already has stereo AND multi-channel mixes. So, you stereophiles have nothing to lose by buying the current batch of DVD-A software available.

Misinformation and marketing emphasis on multi-channel is hurting DVD-A in the stereo arena, and this is a shame. DVD-A is NOT a multi-channel only format, and the high-res in stereo is simply astounding. You owe it to yourself to give it a listen!

7. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Re: Stereo Only DVD-A

I'd be very happy to have access to SACD and/or DVD-A in 2 channel stereo...don't get me wrong.

Indeed these new hi-rez formats really interest me. I'm about to take delivery of an SACD/DVD player soon. I'm just not sold on multi-channel for music. DVD movies are a different ball game though.

I just wish the whole digitial platform mess could be sorted out once and for all.

:cool:

8. Angel

Angel New Member

Sure, there is going to be more Doors stuff mixed to 5:1. Other than the first album, it's all on 8-track, so there are plenty of channels to send to the back speakers.

I just hope that the mixes are done with taste.

AND, that the two-track DVD layer is not just a "fold-down" of the 5:1. Those ALWAYS suck. Just listen to the Beatles "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" for an example. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.