Any Closet Osmond Brothers Fans Here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicfan37, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

I have the Osmonds Live at Musikladen DVD and it's quite interesting/bizarre. They were obviously trying to emulate some of the Jackson Five both in their dancing (choreographed by the same guy who choreographed the Brady Bunch Kids for their tours and performances), and in their music. It's Donny who plays the "waaaah waaaah waaaaaaaaaah" horses sound on Crazy Horses.

2. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

No closet here!! Crazy Horses is a great lp! I WANT THE CD!!!
    The Plan is OOP? Glad I bought it when I did...(Come to think of it,my cd is only one I've seen..)

3. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh,and has the 45 edit of "Yo-Yo" appeared on any of the comps?It's missing the third(?) verse.Also the mono 45 of "Hold Her Tight" is a different mix.

greelywinger likes this.
  4. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Not here but I enjoyed Donny's Joseph on PBS.

5. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

The only interesting thing about The Osmonds was that the 'Crazy Horses' single was banned by the Apartheid regime in South Africa!

They could see through that clean cut, clean living, god bothering Osmonds image to the dark, evil plot within. 'Crazy Horses' was just a siren call to white South African youth, hypnotizing them with it's primitive beat and forcing them to become heroin ('horse') addicts, so destroying decent racist white society.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I've got Osmondmania too-love it! It's eerie how Marie sounded like Donny before his voice changed. A colleague of mine at work insisted that One Bad Apple was the J5. Made my day.

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

That's a goooooooood book! :thumbsup:

As for The Osmonds - well, One Bad Apple is kinda not too awful bad to hear once inna blue moon... :eek:

8. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

They were also banned from playing concerts in South Africa.

9. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Are all the 45s of Hold Her Tight mono?

10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I suppose you know after all this time, but in 2008/9, the UK company Cherry Red put every Osmonds album on CD from the self-titled debut to Steppin' Out as well as all Donny, Jimmy, Marie and Donny and Marie's too! All the albums are 2 fers and are still in print as I write.

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

As a not-so-thinly disguised portrayal of Mormon theology, I suspect it has extra appeal to anyone leaning that way.

12. varispeed

varispeed what if?

The brothers were on a late-night Joey Bishop talk show in 68 or so, doing some songs and also a "battle of the bands" with the competition being a quickly-assembled band made up of Joey, Regis, Johnny Mann and I don't remember who else. The Osmonds slaughtered the Joey band. Very funny bit. A couple of cool things about the appearance included that the brothers were playing live instruments along with the singing ..............and this was pre-Elvis suits era, so they actually looked pretty cool on stage too. A bunch of Superbeatle amps behind them as I remember.

The main neato thing for me was that the centerspot of the appearance was Osmonds playing "Speak Like a Child". Which I thought was a really cool song... very similar to the Nazz' Hello It's Me. Merrill (sp?) was playing bass and singing.... to where I could actually hear what the guys sounded like "really" live. A first and last I guess for me.

Anyway, it took me FOREVER to find the record to buy. Then I lost it. Then it took me FOREVER to find it again. Then I lost THAT one too. I only managed to get another recording of it in the past year or so, and this time, it will NOT get lost. The song isn't the best thing ever to arrive on the planet, but it is a song I find myself humming to myself quite often. The Osmond version is also MUCH better imo than that of the writer....and for the moment, I can't remember the writer.... maybe it was Tim Hardin... or... I don't remember.

The record must really be obscure. And I don't think the band likes the song much. I actually got Merrill's phone number one time (his number in Branson I guess) and left a message for him, asking a couple of things about "Speak Like A Child". He of course, never called me back. In fact, I think I heard he disconnected the phone and moved to another state after receiving my message.

The Joey Bishop tv show of the band's appearance is also out there only in the Twilight Zone. As is the case with that entire show in general. I have never experienced one television show being on for so many years and yet being available NOWHERE.

SO........ I only like ONE Osmond Brothers song...... it WASN'T a hit...........you CAN'T find it.............you CAN'T find the tv show episode where the band played it live...... the band WON'T play it now.........the band WON'T talk about the song...............heh, heh..........pretty cool eh? I have it ALL to myself! bwahaha! That's about as "in the closet" as I can imagine!

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just bought the Osmondmania compilation on a whim and hey, these are some really catchy, well-performed, well-produced songs! I got my $5 worth out of it for sure.

14. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

"The Plan" is a great album.

greelywinger and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I remember in 1971 they dominated the radio. I was 11 years old and hated it all. I would retreat to my room and listen to Sticky Fingers.

majorlance likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The Plan and Crazy Horses are my favourite albums by them.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  17. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

No, definitely not. Just evil!

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I have all the Cherry Red 2 fers (17 I believe).
    I used to collect Osmond LPs & 45s (even imports & promos),
    so I guess I never was in the closet.

Darryl

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Darryl

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Actually that is the final "Beat Club". "Musikladen" was the follow up. The Osmond Special was a very dubious affair, that somehow set a sad end to the legendary "Beat Club". They invited the Osmonds into the studio an hoped to catch a glimpse of the hysteria around them. Untypical for the later "Beat Club" they even invited an audience into the studio. The clever idea was to have a school class, that would scream and shout. But in their wisdom they also invited their teachers.....so the class sat there in total silence showing hardly any reaction. The Osmonds performed and the producers dubbed the show with fake audience sounds, which makes this show the worst (and last) thing, that has ever appeared under the "Beat Club" label....

21. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

One of the first albums I ever bought with my own money was Phase III, which I actually listened to quite a bit. At the time, I held the Osmonds in the same sphere as Three Dog Night and Elton John. Although I never hung up the huge, huge poster that came with that album, I'm still glad I have it!

kevinsponge and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Was my first concert, August 1972.:sigh:

23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Saw the entire group (less Donny) at Branson, MO about 24 years ago.
    Fantastic performers, singers and musicians. During the intermission, their mom and dad came into the isles of the audience and were personally thanking people for coming to the show. I don't ever listen to their recorded music these days, but I still have fond memories of having seen them perform live and do such a great job.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

Umm, yes.

25. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Which Osmond brother is closeted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.