DCC Archive Any Crimson Fans subscribe to the Crimson Club?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently joined up and ordered 6 of the club exclusive titles. Great value for the money. They charge $95 for a subscription and that allows you to get 6 titles at anytime. Doubles only count as 1 title. Some are from audience tapes so you need to read the sound qualtity blurp carefully. I was especially happy to get the Central Park show from 74. That was the last live appearance of the first Crimson (ie. Wetton & Bruford) and I had attended it (I still had my original ticket stub). The Denver show with Boz Burrell from 1972 is also very good. For those who still long to see a CD release of Earthbound the entire 71 Jacksonville show is available. IMO this was a very under rated line up.
    Does anyone have the Mono USA Promo for In the Court of the crimson king? I would very much like to get a CDR of it. It's the one KC piece that I'm still missing. I suppect that its just a fold down mix but I like to hear it to make sure.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ahhhhh, a Crimson expert. Can't wait for the SACD stuff to come out!

It's really too bad that "In the Court..." never came out in HDCD - or did it? Do you know if it did or not? Everyone I talk to says "no"...

3. TommyTunes

Not to my knowledge and I've got every reissue UK,US and Japan. None are HDCD. However IMO the best version is still the original Pink Island UK issue. It is my understanding that all other copies come from a second generation tape because the original was lost.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

If the original tape was lost, perhaps the SACD will be.... less than perfect? :eek: Oh,oh....

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

A friend and I split a membership to the King Crimson Collectors Club club last year. It's a great deal. I saw them Tuesday night with John Paul Jones. GREAT SHOW!

In other news I heard the band Marillion is doing a collectors club deal just like Crimson's now. [/LIST]

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Tommy,

Most Atlantic/Cotillion promos for MONO were fold downs. I'll betcha good money that that's all it is.

I'm a big fan of Court Of Crimson King. I haven't been daring enough to go into Red and Lars as of yet, poor pitiful me. :(

7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Dan, what do you think of the 24 bit Marillion remasters? I was really disappointed. They sound quite sterile to me.

I know there are a lot of people who don't think much of the 30th anniversary KC remasters, but they sound great to me compared to the Marillion.

Crimson played here in Columbus last Thursday but I didn't make it because I'm not sure if I like this lineup as much as some others. A week later I'm having regrets because they often play Cleveland and Cincinnati, but I don't remember them playing here in the 10 years I've lived here.

Don't know if anyone's interested but I saw melodyblvd.com is taking orders on Japanese YES HDCD's from the 90125 era band. I bought the classic YES era HDCD's, I might as well continue on.

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: Drew ]

8. Unknown

Unknown Guest

For Drew --> What's wrong with the 30th anniversary editions? I just got Lark's Tongue (Holland) in the mini-LP sleeve, and it seems to be much improved over my US Definitive Edition. Still harsh in places, but might just be the 'way it is.'

For Scott --> Personally, I much prefer Lark's Tongue and Red over Court. I also really like the red, yellow, and blue albums and Thrak. And B'Boom for that matter.

I wish they'd stuck with the "double trio" format. That was a wild trip. I had the "Construkction of Light" for a while and didn't care for it (sold it). Pat's electronic drum sound wears on me after a while.

I saw Crimson for the first time this summer at Orlando HOB and they do put on a great live show. Adrian is the man.

For TT --> how good are the Japanese KC LPs? I just picked up a copy of Islands (w/obi) and passed on a sealed "Three of a Perfect" pair (also w/obi!), but I might go back and get it.

9. TommyTunes

For Patrick, I don't have any of the Japanese Crimson LP's only the Japanese CD's. I have all the LP's as 1st issue UK's only, plus the MFSL and some of the EG 1/2 speeds.

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Drew, I thought the Marillion 24-bit remasters were decent. In some cases much better than the original product. Really punched up the low end where it needed to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.