Any Dean Wareham Fans (Galaxie 500/Luna)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mds, Jan 26, 2016.

1. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

In Pittsburgh I presume with the films going behind the performance?

2. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Dean & Britta just did the soundtrack for the new Noah Baumbach movie MISTRESS AMERICA and it is excellent! Some of Dean's best work IMO. I bought the signed vinyl from Dean's website for $25.

3. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I've seen a few Luna studio shots on Instagram recently. Seems like they're finishing up a new album, which is awesome news.

lambfan68 likes this.
  4. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

Actually at the Arts Bank at Broad and South... part of the Philly Fringe Festival a few years ago - films in the background.

5. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

Britta Philips' debut solo album is pretty good. Half covers, half originals, that beautiful sultry voice and lovely production, as usual from the Dean/Britta/Luna 'stable'.

[​IMG]

6. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just saw the movie and yes the sound track was pretty good. It had lots of older Luna tunes and many OMD songs as well. What really surprised me was watching him make a cameo, the angry next door neighbor. His appearance took me by surprise, and he was pretty good in the part.

7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Rupe33 likes this.
  8. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I noticed on Instagram that photos have been appearing from sessions for a new Luna album, so hopefully that will arrive sometime this year.

9. Noise Annoys

Anyone been listening to the new Luna album? The edition I ordered comprises one CD of cover versions, the other of instrumentals.
    So far I'm enjoying the instrumentals more. Luna have always been brilliant interpreters of others' songs, but disc 1 hasn't quite grabbed my attention yet.

10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I like Galaxie 500, and like a bunch of Damon & Naomi's stuff, but for some reason Luna never clicked for me. Maybe time to give it another go ...

--Geoff

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  11. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I have been struggling to get into the new covers album. If you compare it to Lunafied (large collection of Luna covers on Spotify), it's pretty limp. The production is bland and the band seems uninspired. I am a huge fan of some of their covers. Indian Summer, Bonnie & Clyde, Sweet Child O' Mine, Season of the Witch, Ride Into The Sun, That's What You Always Say ... the list goes on and on and on, but nothing on this record gets me psyched. Bummer. The instrumentals album is better, but not mind-blowing. I hope they come up with an album of new original material, but that could be a few years away.

As an aside, I highly recommend Dean's self-titled solo album, which was masterfully produced by Jim James (My Morning Jacket).

dlemaudit likes this.
  12. Noise Annoys

@TheWarmth
    Yeah, I'd pretty much agree with all that. It's just good that they're back, although they're not playing in Ireland on their European tour - or Spanish Tour plus a few extra dates tacked on, as it seems!

The first Dean & Britta album, L'Avventura, is superb also.

13. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I'm going to see Luna in a couple of weeks at Cat's Cradle near Chapel Hill, NC. I'm a latecomer to the band, but really jazzed about the show.

dustybooks likes this.
  14. levi

Great show tonight!

[​IMG]

15. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I saw them on Friday in Louisville. First time seeing them since 1994!!! They were pretty great. Dean is just effortless in his guitar playing. He reminded me of J Mascis. They have different sounds obviously, but they've been doing what they do so long now it just comes out naturally. I just enjoyed watching him play.

levi likes this.
  16. levi

Sunday night was my first time seeing them. I didn't realize how much Dean and Sean shared guitar leads. I thought most of that belonged to Sean. I could have listened to those two play for hours. I was a little disappointed in the length of the show -- only about an hour and a half, if that. Great night though.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  17. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I got an email today from Dean’s email list that he is releasing a new album in October with someone name Cheval Sombre. There is an album trailer at his website:

Dean Wareham - Watch Video

I think it sounds great.

18. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I ordered a copy. Only 300 pressed.

19. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I am going to see Dean and Cheval on Friday.

I am not crazy about their album, apart from Bend in the River, which I think is fantastic

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The show tonight was great. The songs really come alive when played live and now I have a better appreciation of the album. Highly recommended if you get a chance to see them.

vette442 and Thumbpick like this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Anybody seeing the full album shows in NYC this weekend? Tonight is Bewitched, Sunday is Penthouse.

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Ah fok, was in NYC for the last weekend! Would have gone there in a heartbeat! Where are they playing??

twicks likes this.
  23. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Yes just got their vinyl boxset (Luna)

24. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Bowery Ballroom

As much as I love Luna, I am not a fan of "play the whole album" shows in general, so I gave this one a pass.

Pop_Zeus and Neonbeam like this.
  25. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Apparently the original lineup (Justin and Stanley) played at least part of the show last night.