Any Dean Wareham Fans (Galaxie 500/Luna)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mds, Jan 26, 2016.

1. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Drove 5 hours each way to catch them at the 9:30 Club in DC a few weeks ago. My wife and I have followed them as far as Chicago, DC, Baltimore, etc. for shows over the past 20 years whenever a tour skipped Pittsburgh. Luckily they seem to come here a lot as Luna and Dean & Britta.

Just got an email from Dean's mailing list that they are offering the last remaining "Tell Me Do You Miss Me" Live LPs that were only available at the merch tables. We stood right in front of the merch table at the 9:30 Club for most of the set and I missed these completely so I just bought one....

Luna - Tell Me Do You Miss Me

------
    "We have some left-over copies of the "official bootleg" vinyl LP -- Tell Me Do You Miss Me -- that we had at the merchandise table. A limited, numbered edition of 750 in a plain black sleeve -- with download code included -- this LP features live songs from different cities during the 2004-5 "farewell" tour, as featured in the Matthew-Buzzell-directed documentary Tell Me Do You Miss Me. Songs were recorded live to multi-track by Jason Raboin, and mixed by Ray Ketchem and Sean Eden. Attached to this email is the exciting (to me, anyway) 9-minute version of "Black Postcards" that appears on the album -- this one recorded live at the Bowery Ballroom in 2005.

Side A: Cindy Tastes of Barbecue, Sideshow by the Seashore, Still at Home, Bewitched, Rock Your Baby.

Side B: California, Black Postcards, Everybody's Talkin' and Fuzzy Wuzzy.

This album is not available in stores or on any music streaming sites. We are taking orders now right here and LPs will start shipping next week.

Terry

jeffrey walsh and twicks like this.
  2. Guelah97

Guelah97 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing, just snagged one myself!

vette442 likes this.
  3. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

I see Dean Wareham is playing Galaxie 500's On Fire when touring the UK in April. Can he do it justice alone? Considering attending the Newcastle show.

Dean Wareham - Shows

4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Interesting. Did the Luna reunion ever play outside the U.S.?

5. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Is this Dean solo? I can’t imagine Galaxie 500 songs without a rhythm section. I’m a big fan of G500, I love the 2CD reissues where the albums came bundled with Copenhagen, Uncollected & Peel Sessions. I think I only have 3 Luna albums, and about 3 solo albums. I’m not sure I’ve played any of them more than a few times each and can’t remember much about them. Will give them another spin, but those 3 x 2CD G500 releases are essential.

I seem to recall blind buying This Is Our Music, after vaguely recalling seeing their name in some articles. I loved it, especially Summertime, Fourth of July and the covers. I hunted down the other albums very quickly after that.

John Porcellino likes this.
  6. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Ive no idea if these gigs are completely solo or with a band. Either way I still want to go as I never saw Galaxie 500. I have standalone CDs of Copenhagen and Peel Sessions. Either I didn't know or I forgot they ever released 2cd versions of the studio albums. I do also have a 4cd boxset with the 3 albums and uncollected as the 4th disc. I also have the Galaxie 500 DVD and the book so hopefully I'm not missing anything essential. I think it was Snub TV that led to me getting and taping the records from the local library when I was a kid. Years later I got the CDs.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  7. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

I'm disappointed no Ireland dates are included in this tour. I saw Luna once, way back in 1998, and 'solo' Dean Wareham about 8-9 years ago, when he played with Britta and a band. Both shows were great. I pretty much love everything he does (his S/T second album from 2014 is particularly under-appreciated), even those funny little cameos in Noah Baumbach films.

Edit: it's a band show. This was part of a mailer he sent out
    In other news, I am heading to England and Scotland in April to play Galaxie 500's On Fire album with band comprised of myself, Britta, Roger Brogan and Jason Quever

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  8. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Thanks, this somehow passed under my radar and it's beautiful :righton:

9. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Love Dean, Galaxie, Luna... I try never to miss a show that’s in my range of travel. Next up... Luna @ White Eagle Hall; 337 Newark Ave. in Jersey City on June 26th... 6/26/20 where It’s my understanding that Galaxie 500’s On Fire will be featured in the set.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  10. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I just now learned, tonight, that they covered JD/NO’s Ceremony. Need to track down that single it came on, ASAP. And I’m not usually one for cover songs but wow do they kill it.

11. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Ceremony was a bonus track on the 2CD reissue of On Fire, and was originally on the Blue Thunder EP. It is a really great version.

andy obrien likes this.
  12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Tell Me Do You Miss Me now available on Bandcamp for download. $7 suggested price:

Luna

13. Thumbpick

Thumbpick Well-Known Member

I picked up this LP on the last tour and I'm glad I did.

To anyone looking to pick this up at Bandcamp though, I'd advise waiting until tomorrow (Friday, March 20th, 2020) since that's the day that bandcamp is waiving their revenue sharing and more money will go directly to the artists:
    Bandcamp Is Waiving Its Revenue Share for One Day to Support Artists Amid Coronavirus

mds and Neonbeam like this.
  14. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I love the "Tell Me That You Love Me" movie. I bought the DVD years ago. The 12" is great, too. I got a copy when they played Chicago in October. Both highly recommended.

brownie61 and Thumbpick like this.
  15. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

As expected, Dean Wareham has postponed his European tour until January 2021.

16. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

17. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

The Marquee Moon cover is tremendous.

kyodo_dom and vette442 like this.
  18. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I cautiously ordered the Quarantine Tapes 7" set. Lathe 7-inches tend to sound ... not great, but I couldn't resist.

19. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

It really is.
    Absolutely fantastic.
    What a great effort.

I mean, one of my all-time favourite songs by one of my all-time favourite bands covered by another of my favourite artists.

And the video is really creative given all the limitations at the moment.

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

That video is a simple concept executed perfectly. Loved it.

21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

This is cool and I'll probably check it out eventually...but it's really just gonna be covers from now on, isn't it?

22. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Thanks for this. I've fallen a bit behind lately. Will have to buy the FLAC downloads tonight.

vette442 likes this.
  23. CHIP72

CHIP72 Forum Resident

I almost definitely was at the same show. I've probably seen Luna about four times in the DC area since the mid-2010s (at least twice at the 9:30 Club and at least once at the Black Cat; I'm trying to remember if I also saw them at a third venue, most likely the Birchmere).

Dean Wareham's bands (i.e. Galaxie 500 and Luna, though Dean and Britta fit in this description to a lesser degree) are bands I've only really discovered in the last 10 or so years, but he's been consistently good throughout his career. I wish I had discovered them more in my college radio DJ days during the early to mid-1990s when I saw the Galaxie 500 and early Luna CDs in the racks, but I was focused on other alternative/indie music at the time. My loss.

mds, twicks, brownie61 and 2 others like this.
  24. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

13 Most Beautiful was the first release on my label ‘Wouldn’t Waste Records’ in 2017 - it sold out almost instantly.
    I’m doing a very limited repress on colored vinyl at the moment - expected to ship out from mid March 2021.

mds, Thumbpick, MattG and 1 other person like this.
  25. elsanto

elsanto Forum Resident