Any decent record store in Watertown NY?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ParloFax, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

I searched the archive first to no avail. We might be visiting the area soon for a bit of vacation. I see that Rochester looks to be a cool place for vinyl. But I recall having read somewhere somehow that Watertown was also on the map... However, Watertown's business/shopping page remains silent on the topic...

2. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

I shopped at Disc Connection in nearby Pulaski (locally pronounced pul-ASK-eye) back in the early nineties, and found some nice Abba Spanish language LP's. I'm happy to see they're still around.

3. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, Manos! Bookmarked!

4. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

I have been meaning to take the 30-40 minute drive one day to just check that place out. Got nothing to lose, seeing as I'm from Syracuse, NY and there's not a single used record store at all.

5. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

I'm sorry to read this. When I lived in Syracuse in the late eighties and early nineties, there were a few places worth visiting, like Desertshore Records on Marshall Street, and a newer place in North Syracuse whose name I forgot. Also Onondaga Music had some nice jazz LP's.

6. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

It's a shame really. I vaguely remember "Knuckleheads" in North Syracuse, which is where I actually live, if that's the one your trying to recall. I think I bought a couple CDs there when I was maybe 12/13, then it closed out of the blue. It's been a dozen other stores, now its a tattoo parlor.

Desertshore doesn't seem to be listed anywhere, but Onondaga Music still seems to be listed. I will give them a call see if its still in business. One day I went through the yellow pages and called EVERY single "record store" to only get the message saying this number is no longer in service.

There is "Soundgarden" downtown in Armory Square, but they don't sell used records, just used CDs and NEW records (in small quantities)

Truly is a shame too, every single piece of my used vinyl is thrift stores and online. Besides that, there isn't a single used record store in what seems to be Onondaga County.

Anyone want to open one? lol

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Mainly Disc on Erie Blvd had great prices on Mofi & DCC, 3/4 of my gold disc collection ws bought from them via Mailorder. Of course they closed down many years back when Gordon's Electronics closed.

Knuckleheads is still going via Mailorder in Goldmine - it is now known as Jack Wolak's

8. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

I heard about the knucklehead mail order. The mailing address is like 1-2 minutes away from my house. haha

But he kinda seems to specialize in rare stuff and picture discs, that kind of stuff.

Gordon's electronics got brought up by a co-worker yesterday when we got talking about "Clarks Music" which is also on Erie Blvd. It must have closed before I got into music like I am now.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Gordon's absorbed Mainly Disc when they shut down their store next to Liquor Square. Knuckleheads did speacialize in grey area discs, pic discs, I really liked the store. Sounds Great was the other big audio store on Erie Blvd (also long gone)

Anyone know if Stage Door in Watertown is still open. It has either closed or moved, they were mainly a hard rock store.

10. This is only just a little off topic but...

I was in Geneva New York this past week and we discovered Area Records and Music on Seneca Street. They carry CDs, records and instruments. They have a deep catalog of compact discs for a small shop. They do have some used CDs but mostly discs of recent vintage and more common titles. They do have a small selection of new and used vinyl but it takes a back seat to all the CDs. Behind glass they do have a few collectors LPs E.G. Talking Heads Rauschenberg pic disc, Beatles Mystery Tour US, Beatles Red and Blue sets but I don`t think the prices were great.

If you do go there, you could walk down the block to 473-5 Exchange Street to the Geneva Antique Co-op since I discovered that they do have records and CDs at some vendor`s stalls and, way in the back, a tiny room with lots of LPs. I had very little time to peruse the stock here but did see and nice minty Genesis Trick USA pressing on Charisma for $2. Might be worth digging in the bins there.

-s1m0n-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.