Any decent used "record" stores left in the San Fernando Valley?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by kwadguy, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

(Note: San Fernando Valley is near Los Angeles; if you don't know that, this thread is probably worth skipping!)

I'm back in the San Fernando Valley for a few days, visiting my folks and friends. It used to be that I'd spend time visiting my favorite used record stores in the Valley. But over the years they've all closed:

Record Trader (Reseda Blvd, near Sherman Way): Closed inexplicably a couple of years ago.

Moby Disc (Canoga Park, Sherman Oaks): Closed recently after mismanagement by Django's, who bought them. (I'm old enough to have been a customer of Moby Disc when they were located on Victory Blvd, years ago)

Record Surplus (Van Nuys Blvd, near Ventura Blvd): Closed after the big earthquake of a few years ago

The used record store on Sherman Way in downtown Canoga Park (closed years ago; one of the guys who ran is now in charge of one of the reissue labels for Universal)

The used record store that used to be on Topanga Blvd, south of Ventura

The used store that was on...hmmm...was it Sepulveda?

Adam's Apples (really cool outlet store of a cutout company in Van Nuys...VERY neat stuff could sometimes be found there...anyone else remember them?) Gone for years.

All gone. Sigh. Even the Warehouse chain stores, which had a used section which would sometimes yield some good $1.00 budget CD buys, are gone. Tower Outlet store in Sherman Oaks? Gone.

My question: Are there any good used record stores left in the Valley? I think there's still that one in Studio City on Ventura...although they don't have vinyl.

I will make my usual trek over the hill to visit the Record Surplus store on Pico, plus Rhino Records. (Not sure if I'll visit Amoeba, though I went to the Amoeba in San Francisco last week; I can brag that I was a customer on the first day the first Amoeba in Berkeley was opened...)

Kwad

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

No, They are all gone. You have to go to Hollywood or the West LA area or Pasadena.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Sigh...I was afraid that would be the answer...

Kinda weird, considering all the record company folks who live in the Valley...

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

There's one in Studio City worth checking called Freakbeat Records, 13616 ventura Blvd, 818-995-7603. Not a big store , but some good buys. Lots of promo cds and reasonably priced vinyl. I was broke by the time i found this one this last week , or i would have bought at least $50 worth of product. :)

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Are you looking for LPs only?

These stores only carry CDs/DVDs;

Second Spin is near the old Tower location on Ventura Blvd. (close to where the old Moby Disc store was)

CD Trader is on Ventura Blvd in Tarzana. (West of Reseda exit)

Amoeba is worth visiting on Sunset Blvd. Course, you need about 3 hours.

I'm sure ebay is selling a lot of the used CDs and LPs now. :agree:

6. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Atomic Records
    3812 West Magnolia Blvd. - Burbank, Ca. 90026
    Phone: (818) 848-7090 Fax: (818) 848-1969
    E-mail: [email protected]

Last time I was in there they had a lot of vinyl but it has been a couple of years.

http://www.dbcoopers.com/ is another one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.