Any East(ish)coast Tannoy Dealers that carry the Legacy Line?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Oct 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tannoy speakers seem to be a rarity in the US. I've been trying to find a dealer relatively close to Brooklyn that has the Legacy Line and I'm coming up empty. I reached out to Upscale (who, unfortunately, is the new Tannoy distributor in the US), but I didn't have a very positive conversation with them, and I'd much rather buy from a different dealer and one closer to the East Coast (for shipping purposes). Anyone know of any Tannoy dealers that have the Legacy Line, mainly the Eaton model?

2. Erocka2000

Anyone? I wonder what happened to Tannoy and how they became so underrepresented in the US market for such a classic speaker company.

3. Yakbob

Yakbob Forum Resident

The legacy lines seems hard to come by in northeastern US. I ended up purchasing my Legacy Ardens from a shop in the UK (audio emotion). They were great to deal with and are quick to respond to emails.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  4. Yakbob

Yakbob Forum Resident

Audio emotion also has a good selection of pre owned speakers, you might ask to have them put you on the list for any Eaton trades that may come in.

5. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

Funny you mention your experience with Upscale when calling about the Tannoys. I also called them recently to ask about the Legacy series and whoever I spoke with didn’t have any real idea about them. It seemed pretty obvious he was just reading off their own website. I was OK with him not having any firsthand information, but at the very least transfer me over to someone who does.

I also spoke to the same guy a month ago when I was looking for a new streamer. Same result, although he was actually a bit more condescending in that first conversation. FWIW, the other folks I’ve spoken with there (including Kevin) have been helpful. If you’re serious about trying the Tannoys, call them back and insist on talking with somebody who knows what they’re talking about.

6. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Get in contact with Bek Hifi in Allentown, Pa. Its a small shop, great guys there. They love vinyl and actually is attached to a record store.

Its a "small" place, but last time I was there they were just signing on to be a Tannoy dealer. They were very excited about the line and were planning on bringing in at least one speaker from the Legacy line. I think it was the Chevoit...

This was pre-covid shutdowns. You can find them on the web. They were more excited about Tannoy than Proac (at least in my price range).

Haven't been there in months, but give them a call. Good Luck.

7. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

One time I called Upscale (and spoke directly to Kevin) about an item that sold for around $1500. I could not believe how condescending he was. It was the single most distasteful conversation I've had with an audio dealer. Needless to say, I didn't buy from him. And little did he know that I was planning to drop a lot more money on a few additional items.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

As mentioned earlier Audio Emotion in Fife are *great* to deal with. Used them a few times over the years and they're good guys. Highly recommended.

9. Erocka2000

I actually wound up getting a great deal on a secondhand pair of Eatons from Audio Emotion in the UK. I received the speakers yesterday, but my stands won’t be here for another 2 weeks or so.

Brother_Rael, Seafinch and OC Zed like this.
  10. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

What stands did you go with?

11. Erocka2000

The Atacama Audition 500 stands, which are about 21" tall.

12. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I'll be curious as to how you like them. Based on the height of the speakers, I was figuring an 18" stand would be more ideal. Did you go with the 21" height based on your listening position or because 18" stands are harder to find these days?

13. Erocka2000

I temporarily have them on my kitchen chairs which are exactly 18" tall and the center of the driver is about 28 1/2" high, which is a little bit lower than I want. My ears when I'm comfortable on my couch are about 31-33" high, so I wanted the tweeter to be around that height.

OC Zed likes this.
  14. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

Initial impressions?

The Eatons or Cheviots are currently on my wish list in the next 2-3 years.

15. Erocka2000

I only had a chance to listen briefly yesterday, but my initial impression is very good. Bass was a little lighter than expected, but not lean by any means. I attribute that to the flimsy chairs they're sitting on. To be honest, I don't want to do any critical listening until I have them properly set up on the Atacama stands.

gov, Seafinch and OC Zed like this.
  16. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I have the Eatons and love them. I made a custom order on Rogoz stands which I’m waiting on now and I settled on 55cm height including spikes. They charge same price for custom made stands as off the shelf models. Much more rigid and higher quality than Atacama which I had earlier.

I've never felt any lack of bass in my Eatons. Instead they produce far more than I expected from this size of a speaker. Far better bass than my Harbeth SHL5 Plus for example.

TANNOY EATON SPEAKERS: HIGH CALORIE SOUND - The Audiophile Man

"You’ve also not heard bass proper bass, until you’ve heard it from a large cone surface. And I don’t mean the floppy, Jamaican reggae DJ rig-style of large coned bass either. Tannoy do bass like no other. This track is dominated by the drums and, hence, the bass is not just important here, it is absolutely critical. The Eatons take the bass but don’t add that irritating artificiality that many speakers give you: the punchy, thwack that pretends to sound powerful. No, the Eatons bring bass from the very basement of hell and it rumbles up from that space, from the place that Beelzebub keeps his ladders, bikes and leaf blower. It slowly bubbles to the surface like a lower frequency tidal wave and booms at you quietly and slowly and with threat. Real threat. Tannoy’s bass has no need to shout. No need to be ‘punchy’. You know that ‘Ooooo’ exclamation that the Minions use in the film, Despicable Me? That’s what I did when I first heard the Eaton’s bass. Yet, the bass was never sluggish. It was mobile, swift and fleeting when required."

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  17. Erocka2000

The Rogoz stands also appear to be twice as expensive as the Atacama stands, so I would hope they're better.

18. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Yes they are 690EUR and 69EUR shipping. Highly recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.