Any experience w Behringer DEQ 2496?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinny123, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have always been intrigued by this product. In particular, how is the DAC? Right now I’m using an Oppo 83SE. I suspect that the Behringer’s DAC isn’t up to the level of the Oppo’s. I can’t see buying a DAC that’s better than my Oppo’s so that I can utilize the Behringer. From what I read the Behringer’s room correction is pretty good, but it’s DAC is pretty average. Any thoughts is very appreciated. Thanks.

2. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Dac section is actually very good indeed , but to get full use best used as a Active crossover & power 2/3way speakers

3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I've had good service from Behringer products, not made to last a lifetime, but otherwise great performance. I couldn't be happier with my PEQ-220 para EQ's and Ultrafex Exciter. (for mastering) The bypass switches can be engaged on the fly without any ticks or noise, very much needed for my project.

4. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I have one and I only use it for the mic/RTA function to examine freq response of my system in regards to changes I make.

I find it detracts from the SQ when used during playback, even if I have all modules in pass thru mode. It is the neatest thing to use, I just wish it sounded better. Has a very cool auto eq function, but again, I don't use it at all anymore for playback. I'll keep it until I get a better RTA.

5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I've not found any of the DAC's in Behringer equipment that pass the SQ test for my ears (tried the DCX2496 as well, sold it)

6. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I own one because I bought it to play with. Never used it in the analog domain, though. I only have experienced it digital in->digital out so I can't comment about the DAC. Powerful graphic and parametric EQ, many interesting features to explore but the room correction is not its best, definitely. As much as I tried it, also playing with target curves, the end result was always not satisfying. Using it as an EQ, your ears can do better than the Behringer room correction software, I swear.

7. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder how this unit compares to a DBX Driverack. Thanks for your replies. I figured at $300 this might not be really an audiophile tool.

8. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Me, too. I have been told that Sanders Sound Systems uses the dbx DriveRack Venu360 as the active crossover their in $17k Model 10e speakers. That made me wonder if the DriveRack might be good for EQ in a non-Sanders system. It doesn't offer digital out, which is too bad from my perspective. At $800, it's a bit more than I want to spend on spec.

Regarding the Behringer, I had the opportunity to compare its analog outs to its digital outs routed through a Lynx Hilo. I definitely preferred the Hilo's conversion. YMMV.

9. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I also used as digital in/digital out and still could perceive it in my system, even with all modules off, simple pass thru. I tried to use this thing in every way, but in the end it's not used for anything but RTA use. Wish it weren't so.

10. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

I have been using a DEQ2496 (the same one) for fourteen years without any failings. I use it as an equaliser , using the GEQ and PEQ facilities. I did briefly use its own RTA process but these days I use Room EQ Wizard to measure and then make adjustments to the Behringer by hand. I correct after doing my best with positioning of speakers and chair, and adding room treatment.

The Behringer sits between a CD Transport and DAC and works exclusively in digital. I did use it for a time with a turntable, using the Behringer's ADC but then using my usual DAC, and that seemed to work well. I don't use the Behringer's DAC and I understood the general consensus was that it's adequate but there are better ones.

The Behringer is a pro tool so uses only XLR terminals. If your source and DAC don't have these you will need to get a RCA to XLR cables.

In your situation, as your Oppo doesn't have a digitial in terminal, as you've found, you have to use the Behringer's DAC or find another DAC.

There are other ways to do room correction. The Mini DSP is one that gets good reviews:

Dirac Live Series

Positioning and room treatment are the best ways but not always practical.

If you are just after some sort of equaliser, there's a lot of talk about the Schiit Loki at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.