Any fans of the "Rocky" films out there? Which is your best, favorite, and most "underrated"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by If I Can Dream_23, Dec 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I agree with everything except I thought Rocky III was a worthy sequel. The series could have stopped there IMO (as long as it came back with the Creeds).

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I always thought it was interesting and kind of funny that Rocky himself seemed to change depending on how much money he had. He’s punchy in the first two, loses that characteristic punchiness in III and IV and becomes a caricature of the Rocky we see in the first two films when he loses all of his money in V.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  3. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

3 fights- 4 if you count the private match with Apollo at the end.

I love how Thunder Lips ambushes him- the look on his face after he hits the deck. Then he proceeds to get his ass kicked. Real wrestling.

It's cool when he orders Paulie to cut off his gloves and then he administers his own beat down.

905 likes this.
  4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Actually I think the cemetary is too much because the supposed "basement" seem to be lingering.

The freeze frame right after the fight with hand in air is true ending to me.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I would argue "III" is probably the worst of the series, largely because its Rocky bears no resemblance to the character we knew and loved.

That movie was all about Stallone showing off his new muscles. Mr. T is the only good thing about it:

Rocky III: The Undisputed Collection [Blu-Ray] (1982)

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

That's kind of how I feel about IV. Didn't he get so carried away with his physique that his body fat was actually so low it was dangerous for his health?

If you want to talk about characters that don't resemble what they once were, how about Adrian in III? Not exactly the quiet girl who worked in the pet shop, was she?

Simon A and alexpop like this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

She married a fighter.

Shy people are often shy around people they don’t know very well. They’re rarely as shy when they’re with people they’re familiar with. People change. They toughen up, as Adrian did after being married to Rocky for a few years and having her life turned upside down.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Drifter and mmars982 like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I honestly don't remember how Adrian changed - I'd need to rewatch!

"IV" is more of a rah-rah USA music video than a movie, but it's more entertaining than "III", and I think its Rocky is closer to the endearing stumblebum than the robot of "III".

Drago doesn't replace Clubber, though, and the climatic fight is better in "III".

Still, I prefer "IV" to "III" because it has a bit more heart:

Rocky IV: The Undisputed Collection [Blu-Ray] (1985)

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd be more concerned about how he "decided that for the shooting of the fight, he and Dolph Lundgren should hit one another for real, so as to increase the intensity of the scene. After doing three takes of Rocky taking shots to ribs, Stallone felt a burning in his chest, but ignored it. Later that night, he had difficulty breathing and was taken to a nearby emergency room. It was discovered that his blood pressure was over 200, and he had to be flown on a low-altitude flight from Canada to St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, where he remained in intensive care for four days. What had happened was that Lungren had punched him so hard in the chest, Stallone's heart had slammed up against his breastbone and began to swell, cutting off the blood supply and restricting the oxygen flow throughout the body."

-
    iMDB

Simon A, mmars982 and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thought Sly looked great in IV.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  11. alexpop

First one has got the McCartney/Wings poster.

12. alexpop

Rambo should have took on The Predator.

13. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

The best was probably Rocky but my favourite was Rocky III

14. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

The first two films take place over a full calendar year. 1 begins just before Thanksgiving 1975 and Rocky wins the title from Creed on Thanksgiving 1976 so they work really well together when you watch them back to back since it really is just one big movie.

15. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes. I always felt he looked best in IV. Not that I'm saying it's normal for a human to look that sculpted. :)

I guess IV resonates with me so much because it feels the most "escapist" of the series. I love the snow scenes and the training montage in the mid to latter part of the film. I thought it was a brilliant twist on the usual norm of having the training take place in a gym etc.

Add to it the great soundtrack, of which I used to wear out, and it remains a very entertaining entry in the series (in my view).

alexpop likes this.
  16. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

The four montages are the best thing about IV for me.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This. I agree 100%.

The Hermit likes this.
  18. If I Can Dream_23

Just five reasons why I love Rocky IV...

Rocky never looked cooler in my opinion. Or more rugged. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alexpop and Encuentro like this.
  19. If I Can Dream_23

Oh yes, and Duke in Rocky's corner repeating to him "no pain, no pain, no pain"...

Great stuff! :)

[​IMG]

Encuentro likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I cannot emphasize enough how stupid I thought this sequence was. Utterly ridiculous.

21. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Love the first III (I is the best, of course), and while IV is a bit too glossy and over the top (a product of its time), I still like it a lot.

V wasn't great, but it had some really cool scenes and lines.

Rocky Balboa was good, but didn't have the rewatchable of the early ones.

I still need to see the Creed films.

22. If I Can Dream_23

LOL...well there you go, difference strokes for different folks I suppose. :)

GodShifter likes this.
  23. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I love all of the Rocky films equally. I consider every one of them a chapter in the life of Rocky & so I can't favor one over the other. I am also impressed at how Sylvester Stallone treats the city of Philadelphia as an equal amongst all of the characters. Just like you wanting to meet the people in the movie, you also want to go to those places shown. Sylvester Stallone continues this in his Creed films too. There will never be another Rocky like Sylvester Stallone & I will be highly offended if Hollywood ever tried to do a reboot. The Rocky movies are an American treasure!!!

Simon A, 905 and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  24. alexpop

Rocky is more of a fifties waterfront drama compared to IV, but I like popcorn and caviar.

25. alexpop

Underrated ? For sure!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.