Any George Harrison Album Except ' All Things Must Pass '

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

George had a nice stockpile of songs to cherry-pick from for you know what but it became increasingly difficult for him to come up with ten or so high quality songs every year for subsequent albums.
    When you come right down to it Lennon and McCartney had the same problem with a couple of notable exceptions.

Hep Alien and joy stinson like this.
  2. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I haven't heard them all but 33 1/3, "George Harrison", and Cloud 9 are all keepers

3. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

The question I have, what percentage of space is occupied by the gnomes

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

Love Cloud 9!

WolfSpear likes this.
  5. Punman

Punman Forum Resident

I grew up with the Beatles and post-Beatles but the only George Harrison album I owned for may years was Cloud Nine. That is, until last month when I bought Let it Roll. A compilation album I guess you would say or maybe greatest hits I am not sure. It gave me three tracks from Cloud Nine, but 16 others to give a taste of a cross section of his music without having to buy multiple albums. I am enjoying it so far. Maybe it will open the door to more albums.

6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I bought "Dark Horse" before the tour, which I didn't go see. I disliked it from the very beginning, and it's one of the few Beatles-related albums I ever sold.

The great, and I think underappreciated, George album is "33 1/3."

7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I think I said this on another thread once, but "Living in the Material World" is one of few albums that I can think of that is less than the some of its parts. Taken individually, some of the tracks are quite good, but strung together they become a dreary, pretentious slog.

8. Rorsontherun

Rorsontherun Forum Resident

I am between All Things Must Pass and George Harrison when picking my favourite. "George Harrison" is too good!
    Also really love Cloud 9 and Dark Horse is not that bad as I've read!

9. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

ATMP is a great album but I enjoy the George Harrison album just as much.

Philo, Carlox, joy stinson and 2 others like this.
  10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

S/T, Cloud 9 and Brainwashed are my favorites after ATMP. I like them all, but these are the ones where I never skip a track.

11. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I like the released version of Somewhere In England. It was my first Harrison album. ATMP actually bores me.

I also like Brainwashed.

12. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

Material World is one if my favorite albums of all time and I like it better than ATMP.

13. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

The best he ever sang in his life.

14. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I'm shocked at the love for ET. I love Gone Troppo however.

15. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

The 1979 self-titled record is my favorite Harrison LP by a wide margin.

16. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

And it's bigger on the inside.

17. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

That's pretty much how I feel. As a 12-year old, I loved hearing "Give Me Love" on the AM, and Living in the Material World was the first George record I bought. I'm also much fonder of Dark Horse than most, but after that he kind of lost me. 33 1/3 was a nice return to form after Extra Texture, but then came George Harrison ....

18. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I'm only just beginning to explore Hari. I never thought I'd like him as much as I do so far.
    I've given this album a listen or two and I like it a lot. I can't see why so many people speak badly about it, it's gruuvi man!
    Hell yeah! I decided to add it to the Beatles catalogue (Sacriledge, I know) because I need somewhere to put the early 1968 songs so as to keep them off Magical Mystery Tour, where I had them before. It was out of necessity, I swear!

Boy, is it a good album. Nothing else like it!

19. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I dunno. I find his releases after ATMP to be somewhat anemic.
    He sorta found his footing with Cloud 9 though.

20. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I'm with you. Cloud Nine is the least "George-y" of his albums to me so I'll never get the hype over it...though maybe that's what people like about it.

Wonderwall, George Harrison, and Brainwashed are the ones for me. Nice to see Dark Horse and Extra Texture getting love.

21. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

When he is too happy hanging out in Hawaii and he’s singing about how much he loves his wife, the music slows down and he doesn’t use enough chords.

When he gets back to his mansion and his big cars and gets Krishna up his butt and starts scolding his listeners about how they are condemned to eternal suffering if they don’t get on the path, the tempi pick up, minor keys come in, and the slide guitar parts multi-track themselves in the night and get more incisive.

THAT’S the real George Harrison.

simpledaydream and joy stinson like this.
  22. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

George is pretty much a one shot deal for me, though there is the occasional gem.

23. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

24. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

* Dhani sold separately

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm a weirdo, as some of you already know, and I like Somewhere In England...
    If you took the Hoagy Carmichael tracks off, and subbed in a couple of other George tracks, it would probably be my perfect George album.