Any good music shops in Montreal?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Mike Dow, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

I'll be spending a few days in Montreal and hope to take advantage of the exchange rate by snapping up some music. Can any of my Canadian friends recommend some good Montreal music shops? I am interested in vinyl and CD. Thanks in advance, eh?

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

If I knew that, I'd be on Hwy. 401 already! :D

Sorry I can't help but you could try going through the Yellow Pages when you are there.

Just a thought...

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Make sure and bring back copies of Who's Next, Who's Missing, and the Master Tapes series for everyone...:laugh:

5. Mike Dow

Thanks guys!
    I went searching the underground city....Whoa that thing is impressive. We spent the day underground looking through different shops. I didn't really find much worth reporting on. The usual suspects. I did find a neat little store near the hotel called Zulu records. They are small but had a few interesting things. No purchases to report although it was a great visit. I need to return to Montreal in the Summer to avoid the face peeling wind! It is an amazing City with so much history...(Gary, you could probably fill us in on some of the details!) and the locals are very kind to "from away" folks like me. I can't wait to go back!

6. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

No Mike, you need to come to Montreal in April for the audio show (4/2-4). A great time will be had by all, and you can still find time to haunt the record shops - if you don't go crazy buying muisc at the show, that is.

7. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Montreal puts on a great audio show every spring. Much better than the Toronto show (which seems to alternate between Vancouver and Toronto).

8. JMCIII

Hey Joseph, are you going to be in Montreal this year?

9. Mike Dow

Thanks for the tip John. I will look into it. Do they have a website with more info?

10. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I was last there in 1990 or 1991(to see Phil Collins at the old Forum). We stayed at the Bonaventure, and roamed the underground city.

I was amazed at the complex of malls underground at each subway station. It seemed to me that most of the places wee chains, but I could be mistaken.

I didn't respond earlier- because after 14 years I have no idea whats where, but I would have guessed that there would be some music shops off of St Catherines! After all- you could get ANYTHING on St Catherines.

I remember walking back to my hotel room from some discos up near the Forum. It was 3 or 4 in the morning, and I felt completely safe.

Chris

11. JMCIII

Yep. It's www.hifiexpo.com. Hope you can make it. :edthumbs:

12. Mike Dow

Yes...you can get about anything on that street...including some things for which we don't yet have a cure! There is still "action" on St. Catherines though it seems to have slowed down considerably since my last visit. I overheard someone on the elevator mention that the police were really cracking down...a good thing, I believe.

I will try to make it to the expo...it sounds great. Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.