ANy good NYC record shops

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ZAck Scott, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm going to be in New York for the week and I wanted to go record shopping. Does anyone know of any good record shops in the city?

Thanks in advance

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Yup. Rockit Scientist and House of Oldies on Carmine St. (the latter is vinyl only and expensive, but extensive - and you have to kiss the guy's butt, the former specializes in 60's garage/proto-punk and rock/soul in general). Bleecker Street Records (NOT Bleecker Bob's) is right around the corner from them. A little further south (on Prince St. between Thompson and W. Broadway) is Rocks In Your Head.
    I love all four of these places. :thumbsup:

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

just ask jimbo.

4. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Check out this thread.

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

For CD's - Academy - 12 West 18th between 5th and 6th.
    For Vinyl - Academy - 77 East 10th Street

6. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Go to The Village and hit Bleeker Street
    Bring money :righton:
    Cheers-
    Norm

7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

And I'm going back to NYC in a month too. This time I'll have time I think to browse the shops of the Village. Thanks for the chart in the last thread and I'll say Jimbo sent me! :D

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Also cool for non-mainstream CD purchases: Other Music, on 3rd St. at Lafayette (across 3rd from the Tower Superstore)

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

don't forget the famous Discorama!

10. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

House Of Oldies is a great store because they always have what you're looking for. At least every time I've gone there. I found my MFSL Beatles Box there UNPLAYED for 500 dollars! And this was only, geez, well...6 years ago...but Shawn Britton at MFSL says I "stole" it, haha...

Anyway, as far as dealing with the owner...he's actually a nice guy, but you have to earn his respect. Walk in there talking about stamper numbers and the like, and you will have earned his respect.

11. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Exactly. Doesn't suffer fools gladly. And he does have _everything_ (except last week when I went in there prepared to drop a fiddy on Ike & Tina's RDMH album...and he hadn't written his filing number on the LP. Boy, was he peeved he couldn't sell it to me...:laugh: )

12. mal content

mal content Guest

I used to dig Finyl Vinyl, 204 E. 6th. But haven't been in NYC for 10 years. It's vinyl only though.

13. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

You did steal it because that guy probably doesn't have a record in his store under $10! You can't really buy vinyl in NYC because it is just too expensive. CDs are reasonable of course. Tower Village, Other Music, Rockit Scientist, etc. are all great at what they do. If you are searching for vinyl and have the time, take a train out to Princeton Record Exchange. It's a good hour away, but it's a kick ass store.

14. John

John Senior Member

I have heard about Princeton. Can anyone tell me more, how are the prices, selection for 70's rock stuff, UK pressings that sort of thing. It would be a haul from Rhode Island but Im thinking this spring, especially if its cheaper than NYC.

15. japes

japes Senior Member

Kim's Video Underground - small vinyl section but worthwhile and cheap
    Joe's CDs & Norman's Sound and Vision - good places for rare CDs
    (All of the above are on St. Mark's Place)

If you end up on Long Island I must recommend:

Infinity Records - Rare stuff at reasonable prices (Park Ave & Sunrise Highway in Massepequa) Best on the Island

Mr. Cheapo's Records, Tapes and CDs - Great selection again at reasonable prices (Jericho Turnpike in Mineola & Mayfair Shopping Center in Commack)

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I loved going to Kim's Video Underground when they were on Bleeker. I love Rocks in Your Head... bought many a record there in the 80s (my sister has lived around the corner for 30 years or so). Also love Other Music. There's a some cool places around Bleeker west of 6th Avenue, back in the side streets (at least, there WERE a few years ago). Bleeker Street Jazz used to have great vinyl but I don't know what they stock these days.

17. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Funny, That's Not What Happened To Me!

I passed a comment (in another thread) about how 'awkward' our friend in the House of Oldies was, and the response was unbelievable. Everybody's experience was the same as mine.
    He certainly does NOT want to hear about matrix numbers or different masterings, he knows it all and that's that.

I agree the vinyl is great.

Another good vinyl haunt is Generation Records on Thompson Street. Stay away from Bleecker Bobs, the quality of the vinyl is crap!
    JG

18. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I love Princeton Record Exchange for vinyl. CDs are in those strange browsers that they take the CDs out of the cases and leave them behind the counter. Thereby, rendering every new CD officially USED at that point.

The vinyl selection is usually great. So many $1 records, that when I was there a few weeks ago, I spent the better part of 3 HOURS browsing through them. Many titles that would be $3+ anywhere else. The volume ebbs and flows. One time I went in there and most of it was gone because someone from Japan came in and bought thousands of records to ship back home.

A lot of other vinyl shops actually dig through their dollar section and resell them in their own store for more money. All the vinyl is in respectable condition and for $1, it can't be beat. I've found most of my Police catalog in there for $1 and lots of other cool stuff. There is also plenty of good titles for respectable prices. Four bins worth of Recent Arrivals, tons of Jazz and R&B, a section of Audiophile stuff, etc. I've walked out of there with 20+ records for about $25.

In New York, you'd be lucky to walk out of a store with one or two in some places. I think they just wait for tourists to buy stuff at their outrageous prices. I went to a place I got a flier for at the WFUV record show once and I swear, they had stuff priced at $40 that you could find for $1-$3 in the cheap bins in New Jersey stores. Ridiculous....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.