Any good record stores in Dallas??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Caldwell, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Ft. Worth definitely has better shops. I recently stopped by Panther City with a buddy that lives close to the shop. Very clean and organized store and the guys running it are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Dallas shops just seem to be very frustrating to me. Spinster might be my favorite but I don’t get over there that often. I’m closest to Good Records and 14 Records (which is always a very odd experience). I’ve been going to Good the longest and always have a good chat with their staff. Inventory can be really hit or miss though.

Like others, I only check the “collectibles” section at Josey but prices are usually ridiculous. Last time I was in they had recent MoFi releases $10-20 over retail. Titles still in stock on MoFi’s site. I guess they think some people are too lazy to check?

Claxton likes this.
  2. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

As someone who travels a fair bit, and has been record shopping for 25 years, the stores in Dallas are pretty weak in general.

Morpheus likes this.
  3. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

The drive to Docs is now about 10 minutes shorter for me, but I haven't found anything to purchase in the last five or so visits - I'm guessing the move increased their customer traffic and the good stuff doesn't last.

4. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I’d agree. Got a hefty sized gift card to there for my birthday last year and it took multiple trips to run through it. The used selection doesn’t seem as great as it once was, and the prices have crept up. I still love ‘em, but it’s just not as easy to find an awesome deal these days.

5. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Interesting. My friends that live on the Ft. Worth side have the same feedback. Used inventory hasn’t been as good since the move. I’d say Docs is still better than Dallas offerings.

6. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I have bought some good stuff from Josey and I like the staff there. Last time I went to Docs I didn’t find anything at the new location. Been back in Dallas three months and it’s pretty slim on used vinyl. Used to be Half Price Books was decent but been in two this week and full of beat up crap at near mint prices- wow not sure what their strategy is. Need to check out the other vinyl stores in Fort Worth.

Admerr likes this.
  7. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I agree about the staff at Josey. There’s one guy I always stop and chat with that was originally at the old CD Source on Greenville. I’ve been buying from him the better part of 20 years. I just don’t agree with their pricing. Dallas shops seem to take the current discogs prices and add an additional 10-15%.

Half Priced Books was great 10-15 years ago but you hit the nail on the head. Beat up used vinyl for M/NM prices. I spoke to an ex-employee that confirmed management caught on to the vinyl resurgence and sent out a mass email about raising prices.

I did stop by Good Records yesterday and they seemed to have loaded up new inventory again. Pretty solid selection but used stuff is still so-so.

8. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Stopped by HPB mothership yesterday since they said were expanding their vinyl section. I didn't really see a change in size, but they had an LP 'New Arrivals' area in the shelves and the clearance section on the lower shelf was totally refreshed.

9. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Article in the paper today that Good Records is moving quite a way east on Garland Road, so they are having a moving sale this week - probably more details on their social media/website.

10. Claxton

They've been having a MASSIVE sale, and from what I've heard, have been picked over pretty good. Understandably so when you're dishing out deals like:

50% off all new and used LPs
    All new CDs $4
    All used CDs $2
    All new 7" singles and new cassettes $2
    All used cassettes $1
    40% off boxed sets

11. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

It’s only 5 miles east - about a 10 minute drive on a weekend day. Lower Greenville is a shell of its former self and local businesses are closing due to ridiculous rent.

I’m just happy that they’re moving and not closing down for good.

New location makes sense. It’s in a spot they’re currently renting, it’s next to their restaurant/bar and down the street from two other establishments under the Good umbrella.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out being two doors down from 14 Records.

I’m happy with the new location. They’re now less than two miles from my front door.

jamesc likes this.
  12. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

This is 3 blocks from my house, as the crow flies. I can’t see the point in 14 Records...just a hobby? But I like the idea of having Good Records over here.

13. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

Going to be in Dallas this weekend. What are the recommended stores for rare and collectible jazz, funk, soul, international records?
    Thanks!

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  14. Bob_in_OKC

What part of Dallas? We’re not all that loaded with record stores.

15. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

I guess I can get to anywhere around Dallas but probably not as far as Ft. Worth.

16. Bob_in_OKC

14 Records on the east side is interesting but tiny. It’s about 11 feet wide. Josey Records along the northwest edge of the city is worth seeking out. I usually find some interesting jazz and soul. Forever Young out to the southwest in Grand Prairie is amazing. Arranged by decade.

Phishman likes this.
  17. Claxton

I know you’re saying no to Fort Worth (come on, you just may like it better over here!), but I saw where our Record Town just started putting out a chunk of a big jazz collection they recently acquired.

Plus you’ve got Doc’s, Panther City, and Dreamy Life nearby for more records. Maybe hit up Kincaid’s or Dutch’s for a burger, or go sip a margarita on the patio at Joe T’s (supposed to be 80 degrees Saturday).

Phishman likes this.
  18. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Collectors Records / Garland Road

RPM / Centerville Road

Bills Records & Tapes / Spring Valley Road

Half-Price Books / Northwest Highway

Phishman likes this.
  19. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

Thank you all! Looks like I have plenty to go after. Thank you again!

20. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Good luck. Enjoy the trip.

Phishman likes this.
  21. Bob_in_OKC

I hope Good Records is successful. They moved recently to Garland Rd and their selection seems thin by comparison to the old Greenville Ave location.

Phishman likes this.
  22. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Bill's is still open but not really open. It's on Lamar now, near the convention center and Gilley's. The inventory was completely picked over (think Goodwill), Not really alphabetized so finding anything is next to impossible. The location has a leaky roof and a good amount of the inventory is water damaged. Bill is living on a couch in the back of hte store and seems to be suffering from a failing mind. The door was locked when I stopped by an hour before it was supposed to close but he let me in to look around. I left without purchasing anything. I left sad and wishing I hadn't gone as it was a shell of its former self.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  23. River Flow

River Flow Forum Resident

CD-only shopper, just moved to DFW from Seattle area (maybe I got spoiled with Silver Platters, Sonic Boom, Easy Street...). Also like Waterloo in Austin of course when I'm there.

I might've missed this, but which Dallas area stores would be best for CDs specifically (inventory, selection, etc)? Josey's, Forever Young, Docs - are these good for CDs?

Thanks!

24. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I do t buy CD’s these days but I think I’ve seen the best selection at Josey and Movie Trading company. Forever Young also has a big selection but a bit more of a drive.

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  25. River Flow

River Flow Forum Resident

Thanks a bunch!