Any good record stores in Dallas??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Caldwell, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

That could very well be. I'm strictly a used CD buyer so I have no reference point for the pre-expansion vinyl inventory. Having said that, I'm confident that they didn't build all those new bins just to leave them empty...:edthumbs:

2. River Flow

River Flow Forum Resident

So I recently called up Forever Young to see if they had a used CD in stock (Eric Clapton's Money & Cigarettes). It's a 1/2 hour drive and I'm trying to keep somewhat of a threshold about going to non-essential places during a pandemic. The employee on the phone was polite, put me on hold to go check, came back and told me they had it. I asked the price. He said he'd have to put me on hold to find out (??? - I don't remember seeing used CDs without a price on them when I went before). He came back and told me $24.99 - I expressed some surprise, and he added that it's "out of print" and apparently an "original" release. Which reminded me of the little handwriting on their price stickers, used to justify a higher price.

Obviously I passed. Seemed a bit iffy... as if the person he asked (manager? owner?) thought "What, somebody actually wants that old thing? Let's milk this!" I'm in support of small businesses and everything, and I know people have to pay the bills, but I'm not paying that much for a freakin' used major label domestic Eric Clapton CD.

BluesOvertookMe, zphage and Daddy-O4 like this.
  3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Have you ever seen their online prices. Yikes!!!

4. River Flow

River Flow Forum Resident

I just looked online - wow, my mind is blown!

clhboa likes this.
  5. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

That’s exactly why I rarely ever take the long drive to visit that place. Their prices are absurd. I usually leave empty handed and annoyed.

6. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

Sadly, that’s pretty typical pricing for this store. They have a lot of cool music memorabilia on display so maybe they’re going more the museum route with the pricing policy.

melstapler, River Flow and clhboa like this.
  7. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

I saw Josey posted they finished their Bills section of the store, no organization but they did put prices per the posting.

8. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Stopped at Doc's yesterday and made my first used LP purchase there in at least a year and a half, maybe more (it was from the Country section, which probably doesn't get much traffic), and the place was packed. I remember back at the old store where there was at most 2 other customers, the stacks didn't change much (two German Horzu MMTs for $25 sat there for at least a year), etc. Good for them that business looks to be good, but slim pickings for a bottom feeder like me.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Claxton, Cassius and jamesc like this.
  9. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

You can find new copies Eric Clapton's Money & Cigarettes on Ebay for around $10.

10. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Yeah, I've done OK at Doc's the last few times I've gone, but nowhere near as good as I used to do. They're definitely stocking a lot of NEW vinyl, and have gobs of people in the store (even during the pandemic). I'll keep visiting, but I think I'm going to be visiting Panther City Vinyl a bit more now in addition to more buys on Discogs.

Panther City, while significantly smaller, seems to curate its stock very well.

11. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Forever Young has the highest prices I've ever seen in the U.S.. Anybody for a used copy of Madonna's Like A Virgin CD for $20? I couldn't stop laughing at their prices. Dallas never really had great stores and their record shows even in the 80's were awful. I'd find much more in OKC,

LordThanos1969 and clhboa like this.
  12. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

I wholeheartedly agree with you on Forever Young, and posted similar feedback above. That said....

I live here and Forever Young pricing is far and away the exception. I find quality, fairly priced stuff here almost every week.... in stores that aren't Forever Young.

LordThanos1969 and clhboa like this.
  13. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

panther city is much too far away from me but i've bought numerous times from them online and gotten some choice stuff for great prices. At the start of the pandemic i bought a few high dollar items from them and they were very thankfully said shipping was on them.

14. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i've had some good luck with the used stacks there and decent prices...at least for what i bought.
    their online pricing though is basically listed at a i dont want to sell it price thats such a joke and then is skews other sellers thinking thats the going rate

15. Marceleichelberger4764

Marceleichelberger4764 Active Member

I recommend you to this one :) Josey Records

Grootna and Daddy-O4 like this.
  16. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Forever Young definitely seems more like a museum than a retail store. New items sit there so long that they sometimes become bargains when something goes out of print. Their used CDs are often very scratched, so buyer beware.

zphage likes this.
  17. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Forever Young is a museum. I'm hearing the upcoming Austin Record Show, attendance limited to 1,500, out of country buyers Covid sitting, etc. will be a bust.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  18. Carl Chauvin

Carl Chauvin Active Member

Hearing from whom? Attendance is not limited to 1,500. They are limiting the attendance of attendees at one time to 1,500. Once someone leaves the hall, someone else may enter. Out of country buyers are not the only buyers who attend the Austin show and, frankly, are not my market. So, their absence will not impact my bottom line. I sell to the general market LPs buyers. If the March 27 show in Dallas is any indication, the Austin show will likely be the most lucrative I've attended. I'm not sure what you mean by "Covid sitting, etc." I believe there is a lot of pent up demand to buy records live and stimulus checks with which to buy them. That is based on my experience in Dallas and the interested expressed on Facebook in the upcoming April 24 Houston show at he Pasadena Convention Center.

jamesc likes this.
  19. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

1,500 is all you get. There will be no lines to get in. Out of country buyers spend the most. They are not coming to Austin. Dallas show....once was enough for me. The Dallas Tulsa OKC Wichita swings were okay in '89....you had to do all 4. Covid sitting is staying in Tokyo or Frankfort.

20. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

You sit home Chee. I'm going to the Austin show.:cheers:

21. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

I’m going too

22. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I went yesterday - decent show for a bottom feeder like me.

jamesc likes this.
  23. TheeMidnightRider

TheeMidnightRider Well-Known Member

I'm originally from Texas & have lived just south of Dallas, for most of my life. Bill's Records & Tapes used to be the ****, back in the day! A lil on the pricey-side for allot of his stock tho! But Bill, the original owner, passed away, a couple years back & the store was bought by someone else. As far as I know, it's still there but they changed the name of the store & without looking it up, I can't rightly remember what it changed to, plus I haven't been there since it changed hands. Forever Young's a darn good store too! But there's also a HUGE Half Priced Books in the Dallas area, that's got a gigantic record selection, but theirs may not always be in the best of shape tho (scratches, tattered album cover & what-not). So as far as affordability, if you're not too concerned with condition, I'd suggest the Half Priced Books MEGA store, which if I not mistaken, is the ORIGINAL Half Priced store! (where it ALL got started) If you're "into" that sorta stuff, history/nostalgia & such

Daddy-O4 likes this.
  24. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

Josey Records bought out Bill's inventory after his passing. They have a small "Bill's" section in their store in his honor.

TheeMidnightRider likes this.
  25. MHLumber

MHLumber Forum Resident

Back in the early to mid 80's my wife and I stopped into Bill's Records on Spring Valley one evening after a movie. Bill looked like he had been ran over. Black eye, bruised face. He was talking to 2 gentlemen and was telling a story about going home after closing the store on evening in the recent past. He said as he was about to put hius key in his front door, he was attacked by two masked men in ski masks. They started hitting him with baseball bats! He then raises his shirt to show them his badly bruised abdomen and rib area. It looked really bad. Bill was a bit of a no humor guy with short fuse at times. It sounded like he must have seriously made a couple of folks really mad! RIP Bill. Never went back to his store after our initial venture.