Any good used shops in the Baltimore area?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by sgb, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgb

sgb Senior Member Thread Starter

My wife and I will be visiting her family in Baltimore in two weeks, and I expect I will have a little free time. If there are any members here who know of some good places to look for used CDs, I would appreciate hearing about them.

We will be staying with her sister, who lives a few blocks away from one of the on-ramps to the Jones expressway. I am not totally unfamiliar with the city, but would prefer not to venture down into the harbor area.

Thanks for any help.

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

It's been so long since I've been there that I don't know if any of the shops I used to frequent are still around... I know that two of my favorites from the area from the 1990s are now gone: Music Machine, which was on Reisterstown Road just off I-795 in the Owings Mills area, and Records Unlimited, which was on U.S. 1 just north of I-695 in the shopping center on the left hand side (I think it was called Putty Hill). He didn't have used stuff, but he had literally thousands of backstock 45s dating back many years, though a somewhat limited CD selection.

Places that still exist? Try the Record & Tape Traders chain; it's mostly CDs now despite the name, and they do have used ones. I think at least one of their stores still does vinyl (the one in Towson perhaps).

And if you are at all interested in vinyl, you have to check out Ferndale Oldies on Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard in the Glen Burnie area. It's a hole-in-the-wall, at a busy intersection, run by a chain-smoking woman who's probably in her 60s by now, but she's got thousands of 45s and LPs, somewhat sorted by era, genre and even label. Some are overpriced, most are not. When I went I always spent an entire afternoon there and usually left with a nice stack o' wax.

What I usually do when I go to a different city is to check the Yellow Pages and see what places look interesting. A secondary source is an alternative newsweekly, if there is such a thing in whatever city I'm in. The more interesting stores (as opposed to Sam FYE Best Circuit Mart) often advertise in one or both of these two places.

I found my favorite places in Minneapolis-St. Paul, for example, in the Yellow Pages. And once I checked them in person, I've kept going back. Or if I didn't like them, I didn't go back.

3. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

IMO, the best place to find used CDs are the Record & Tape Traders stores, especially the main and largest store, which is located in Towson on Dulaney Valley Road. Their second best store for used CDs would probably be their Westminister store, which is located on Route 140 in Westminister, MD. There is also a CDepot on Loch Raven Blvd near Towson, which is about 10 minutes from the Record & Tape Traders Towson store; they have a nice selection of used CDs also. Feel free to send me a PM for more detailed information.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

4. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Sound Garden, in the Fells Point area, is a great store. Lots of used CDs and DVDs.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.