Any GREAT tracking moving coil cartridges for a Technics SL-1200G?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Of course they do! Ones own system and personal experience always leads to different choice.......

You have some great carts in mind, and being recommended. I have never tried the ART9 or the Benz SL mentioned, but both of those are on my list as next purchases!!! (my problem is I already own WAY too many carts :))

The ART9 is one that no matter who is giving feedback it seems to be well loved across the board. I was talking to two Cartridge retailers (who are both also audiophiles) the other day about the new OC9 X series and the first words out of BOTH their mouths was "under a grand, then ART9, period"

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  2. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I would wager that almost ANY decent MC will work reasonably well with that table and arm. I have not heard too many MC cartridges that can't handle almost all records, aside from the crazy, extremely challenging records put out to impress gullible audiophiles. The only time I heard a top MC cartridge mis-track while being impeccably mounted and adjusted, involved a really cheap arm that the owner quickly replaced. The arm did not have pivot bearings that were capable of handling the amount of energy a MC cartridge transmits to the arm and it rattled severely. The particular cartridge was an Ortofon PW that was temporarily mounted on a $299 table; the owner quickly graduated to an EMT 950 rig which did not suffer from this problem.

The only really high end cartridge that I heard slightly mis-track in a nice setup was a Koetsu Rosewood, but, this happened only on an extremely demanding record, and the mis-tracking was quite mild. The same record plays flawlessly on my own rig (Transfiguration Orpheus L and Lyra Titan). I certainly would not hesitate to recommend the Koetsu; it sounds terrific.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

To add on to my last post -- one of the reasons I don't own a ART9 to date --- because I was able to get BOTH the OC9ml/ii AND the AT33PTGii for the same price. Actually LESS than one ART9!

I have the PTG mounted on a vintage Pioneers PL70Lii for about two - three months now and it is fantastic. I also tried it on a Yamaha GT-2000L and Kenwood KP-9010, but liked it best on the PL70Lii. Of course you have heard other testimonials on the board here on this cartridge and its perceived value, so I won't go on. I have tried the Denon DL-301, OC9ml/ii and AT33Ev on the same TT and so far my favorite is the PTG. It is playing through a Parasound JC3+ phono pre. The OC9 was a close second, but I was surprised at the difference in sound profiles between the two.

I notice you mention the MLii and not the MLiii.... don't know if that was intentional, but for me I could never get a good answer if the spec on the MLiii dynamic compliance was accurate. The MLii has a 10 cu @ 100Hz and the MLiii is documented at 18cu @100Hz? That makes the MLiii a pretty high compliance cartridge!

One cartridge that continues to surprise me by the day - and it is an MM - the AT-150MLX. I picked up one of those a few months back, along with a 150Sa stylus (interchangeable) and an extra 150MLX stylus... I have reading about the MLX for years but after finally trying it I now see what all the fuss is about. In my system and after extensive comparison it is on a whole 'nother lever than the AT-440mlb plateau. (which is similar to the 540 of course). Don't underestimate the 150MLX, I am a big believer in boron now after spending time with it. This cartridge on a Kenwood KP-9010 (which has a touted 90 S/N) is a match made in heaven and is spectacular.

Just sharing some experience and offering some options. If $500 was your max I would strongly recommend either the PTG or OC9. Or the 150MLX if you are limited to MM.

4. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I can track all four torture tests on the HiFi News test record with an upgraded Denon DL 103r.
    For around $650 and re tipping available when needed for about $350---this is one heck of a bargain "end game" cartridge setup to my ears.
    And the tracking is beyond reproach.
    The first three bands show zero distortion---the last "impossible" track has a tiny bit of buzz but it is minor and evenly distributed to both channels.
    THAT'S what I call good tracking. Plus forget the test records and just listen---here the Denon shines too.
    Now mine is running an upgraded line contact stylus and ruby cantilever---added by Soundsmith.
    And my Technics (an SL1210M5G) has been modified with anti resonant silicone shrink wrap on the arm tube.
    Double headshell weights have added enough mass for the Technics to work with the Denon's low compliance suspension.
    Rear balance weights added.
    A KAB silicon trough like yours is on there too.
    I also run the identical setup on a Pioneer PLX 1000 with equally great results.
    Both setups include the K&K Lundahl LL1931 transformer box.
    This allows for perfect impedance matching and two gain setting to best match your phono preamp sensitivity.
    I have a Jolido JD9 which sounds best at low tranny gain and 50dB of phono gain.
    My control room Pioneer uses a 40dB phono section in a Rogue Cronus Magnum II plus the higher tranny setting.
    Both like between 100-170 ohm loading into 47K ohms at the phono pre.
    I am done.
    So I bought eight of the darn things for spares in case they stop making them.
    My two cents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

Thanks. How would you describe different sound profile between the OC9 and 33PTG/II? Is one brighter, etc?

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

How good of deals? And when was the X series introduced?

7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Where did you purchase those headshell weights?

8. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

I’ve been using an AT 33 PTG on my current turntable and I’ve ordered another to go on the 1200G I’ve just ordered. It’s a superb tracker with a detailed open sound.

snorker likes this.
  9. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

agree x 2

Chris Schoen likes this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

Start of May or thereabouts --- I think May 9th when the first announcement? But it could have been earlier when some had eval units, not sure.

Well, you can now get an AT-OC9ml/ii (2 not the 3) for $358 from an authorized dealer where a week or two ago they were $419 which at the time was also a good deal! Considering the "full blown retail" dealers are charging $499 for this, that's not too shabby!

In fact since my current OC9 is probably pushing 7oo hours, so I just bought another! I like the OC9ml/ii -- along side the 150MLX and PTG33 they are my three sub-$500 cartridges!

11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The more I do this, the more I realize how little I know. I've been using fancy cartridges for a while and continue to do so, but started to delve into less expensive cartridges just to see if I could get the mojo. One cartridge that had unbelievable tracking ability was the old Monster 1000- this thing definitely tracked better than my admittedly worn Airtight Supreme and was under 500 U.S., all in, rebuilt by Steve Leung. The issue I had with it, at least on my linear arm was that it sounded lean. On a pivoted arm, less so. The later, 2000 series is supposed to have a more fully fleshed out midrange, and I'd be interested in trying one of those, rebuilt.
    Steve did make me a Denon 103 in a wood body, with elastomers and a micro ridge. I only had it set up briefly (I've been going through hell getting two arms to balance on the Minus K, which is another story) but that Denon seemed to have great tonality. FWIW, the protractor that came with the arm, a Kuzma 4 Point 9" gives a different reading than the Mint I ordered. I'll have to mess with it more. I'm thinking of installing the 4 Point on my vintage Technics SP-10, which has remained armless since I got it back from restoration.
    I haven't listened to anywhere near the range of cartridges available today- i know there is synergy- with arm, with system, voicing, etc.
    Right now, the Koetsus, at a price, are giving me a fully fleshed out sound with phenomenal bass. Some claim they are colored. They certainly are expensive.
    The challenge is to find something that gives you what you want without taking out a loan.
    Once I get the 4 Point installed, my plan is to try a bunch of different cartridges-- easy b/c of the removable headshell.

Shiver likes this.
  12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Still, for instance the Denon DL110 has proven a very popular cartridge with most people who had it. Of course you always need to keep in mind it is an entry level MC cartridge but few people are disappointed. I've had a few and while they may not sound absolutely identical the general sound signature was the same.

13. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

The AT-OC9/III is under $500 and the II much cheaper, as already mentioned. The OC9X series doesn't ship until July, but as I mentioned earlier in thread, they are available for pre-order, mostly at retail price, but I did get a good quote from one UK dealer for the SLC version.

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i've never had a bad tracking cartridge in my life whether MC or MM. there are certain records that have a rough spot and they have all failed to sail through unblemished

15. TheVinylAddict

So what is it you are seeing in the OC9x that you are willing to be an early adopter, buy it sight unseen and before letting others try it out? :) You've mentioned it in a few threads, and just wondering why it has piqued your curiosity so much???

16. avanti1960

I would say the under TWO grand get the ART9. it takes literally double the money to beat it. possibly the best value in high end audio. it doesn't have any weaknesses!

17. TheVinylAddict

That is an excellent point and I concur 100%. It is interesting as many of the threads / discussion about tracking and IGD across the net, and you are always left wondering how much of that is set up and alignment issues or skills. Or moreover the quality of the TT and tonearm. Many times have I looked at a profile where someone who has persistent IGD issues had a $150 turntable...... or they admittedly were not well versed in set up.

IGD and tracking have never really been issues for me with ellipticals or any other profile. I think many challenges can be traced to the level of tonearm and TT....... that might sound a little snobbish but it's true.

Kyhl and avanti1960 like this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

That's a bold statement. Then again it's AT and I would not doubt it...... many of their cartridges compete against higher price points from other manufacturers.

All you are really doing is making my wallet restless! :) I've been wanting to try an ART9 for quite some time.

Out of curiosity what carts under $2k have you compared it to, and on what TT??

19. avanti1960

not necessarily quality level either... i had no tracking or IGD issues on my first "real" turntable back in '78- and I set the tracking force and anti skate by the marks on the counterweight and aligned it by eye with no protractor!

20. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Denon DL-110 is a very good match.

21. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Well, not sure I'm willing to buy one yet, though I do like the specs and looks, my concern is that the price has gone up without any obvious difference between the OC9XSL and the OC9/III other than the threaded body. Initially viewing the specs, I thought the new one had the lighter rectangular shank stylus, while the ART9 and OC9/III used the heavier square shank stylus since that's what they say on the AT site, but @The Dragon says that is wrong and they both share the same rectangular SLC stylus with the ART9.

Anyway, I do prefer threaded bodies and have come to appreciate the AT sound and tracking ability, so if it is a worthwhile improvement on the OC9/III, it could almost be thought of as a low cost ART9. And I would like to try a higher compliance cartridge on my Clearaudio since it does have a fairly lightweight arm, and so it could make use of one better than my other tables. The Benz Wood SL is just about perfect for me, and works well on the Clearaudio arm, and I don't really have any compulsion to change it or think it would be bettered by either the OC9XSL or the ART9, but it will need a retip soon. And as you well know, it's fun to buy new stuff :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  22. snorker

There are cartridges that will track what you think is not-trackable. There also seems to be some confusion about tracing distortion, like from inner grooves, and tracking. Tracing distortion is pretty much eliminated with advanced stylus profiles. Midrange tracking ability is mostly related to stylus suspension design, but there are other factors like cantilever design and material, moving mass of the cantilever, mass of the stylus, etc.

The Technics SL-1200G and its tonearm are not of inferior quality, and my ability to set up a cartridge is not in question, believe me. You just don’t understand what I mean, or don’t believe any cartridge can track certain tough passages, but they can, trust me. Try a Stanton 981. It will track absolutely anything.

patient_ot and zombiemodernist like this.
  23. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Same here, the records being played could also be part of the problem because they could be second hand and in bad shape.
    I must say that since I started using MC cartridges even on cheap turntables like Technics SL D2 and equivalent I never have tracking problems, I didn't have that many problems with MM but since MC everything glides fine and I get a lot less noise. Sometimes IGD appears but that is related to some specific records which in my case are counted exceptions.

24. TheVinylAddict

Good points - but unsure why you quoted me -- I agree with most of your points but it sounds like you were trying to convince me of something I did not agree with you on??

Why did you think anyone assumed you were not well versed at setup or your TT was inferior? I think you misread and misunderstood the discussion it was not aimed at you. Not sure why you took any of it personally.

The 1200G is a wonderful table!

snorker likes this.
  25. snorker

No offense intended! Just trying to make sure others understood my point. Thanks for your input. :thumbsup:

zombiemodernist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.