Any Info on Supertramp "Breakfast" Reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by avanti1960, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

On another thread, the SHM-SACD seems to be giving it a run for the money in the mid-range.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ummm, no.

The 1990 was redbook 16/44. The new one has a DSD layer. DSD didn’t even exist in 1990 and there’s 0% chance they just converted the 16/44 to DSD. Plus there’s a nearly 0% chance the new MFSL (different company from the old MFSL) would have the legal right to re-use the old mastering even if it wanted to.

klockwerk likes this.
  3. Just_a_Dude

Just_a_Dude Well-Known Member

I finally got the time to really sit down and listen to both the A&M+ and the new Mofi side
    by side.
    The Mofi overall is a more 'pleasant' presentation and does address both the muddiness of some songs
    and the sometimes shrill characteristics of the higher frequencies during louder passages.
    Not perfect, but most assuredly the best digital representation to my ears. The main takeaways
    for me were the improvements to the following songs

Gone Hollywood - The #1 song (yes I realize the duality of that statement) on this album that I thought needed
    some help as it has always sounded very saturated. The Mofi seemed to clean it up enough to not require
    me to turn the volume down as the song progresses as I would with the A&M+, though again not perfect.

Goodbye Stranger - The same assessment as GS but with a smaller window for improvement. The piano is
    really clean and clear with a wide image across the sound stage on the Mofi.

Just Another Nervous Wreck - Like GH, it builds to an almost bombastic level at which point the volume would
    always have to be reigned in 3/4 the way through the song on the A&M+. Seems to be smoothed out just enough to not get
    to that abrasive level on the Mofi.

Overall, worth the dough and has put BiA back into the rotation at my house.

Instant Karma and George P like this.
  4. mouldman99

mouldman99 Well-Known Member

I have emailed Mofi twice in the last four months asking about the availability of the new vinyl issue of Breakfast In America. Still no date for release, although they say be patient because "it will be well worth waiting for".

5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Just got email vinyl is shipping!

Just_a_Dude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.