Any Lizzo fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wired4Fun, Jul 21, 2019.

1. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

The breakout artist of this year. "Juice" should be song of the summer!

2. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

4. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think the Super Active Lizzo album is ok but not great.

6. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ordered my copy on vinyl! Woot!!

7. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

The melody of Juice reminds me of the song "Black Beatles"

8. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

Like many in the UK seeing her Glastonbury set on TV was my first experience of Lizzo. Blew me away. Love the track Jerome...

Elliottmarx likes this.
  9. pghmusiclover

According to the tracklisting on Fat Beats website, that track is indeed included!

Lizzo - Cuz I Love You: Deluxe Edition (LP)

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Okay, late to this. Just watched that and good lord she is a monster. Have to hear the album now.

11. pghmusiclover

Better late than never @ralphb !

aphexj, Wired4Fun and ralphb like this.
  12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

That Tiny Desk Concert is awesome.

13. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Another fine performance of Juice

14. Wired4Fun

She’s just fire.

aphexj likes this.
  15. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Lizzo was magnificent on last night's VMAs. It is just a joy to watch such a deserving artist have their moment.
    I am so psyched that I will be seeing her at the tiny LA Palladium. Since I bought those tickets months ago, Lizzo has so risen in stature that I expect the next time she comes through town she'll be playing the Forum - she probably could do so right now.
    Cuz I Love You is, far and away, the album of the year and perhaps the best album of the decade - or close to it - Hamilton is wickedly extraordinary too.
    Go Lizzo.

aphexj likes this.
  16. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

I remember seeing Lizzo open for Sleater-Kinney a few years back and thought she was an excellent performer, but that the songs themselves weren't quite at the same level yet. That's definitely not the case with the new album, which is phenomenal and easily one of the best I've heard this year. She's undeniably talented and it's great to see her reaching a much bigger audience now.

Elliottmarx and DesertHermit like this.
  17. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

I was completely unaware of her existence until last night, when I happened to switch to the VMAs in time to watch an enormous CGI ass gently oscillating on stage. I watched for a few moments, said "What the ****...?", and moved on to another channel.

Amazing artist or not, that was an extremely bizarre introduction.

18. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I dig Lizzo. And, if she loses weight, will she become Thin Lizzy?

19. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

My wife turned me on to her. I have to say, pretty damn good and catchy.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  20. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

21. Elliottmarx

aseriesofsneaks and Aurora like this.
  22. Elliottmarx

I've been obsessing about Lizzo's Cuz I Love You album since last spring. I've been ranting and raving to all my friends irl. Everyone's been forced to listen - and not one person has come away unimpressed. She is a great performer, but she is also a tremendous personality - I don't see how it is possible to dislike her. Most importantly, nearly single-handedly she has damaged the vastly overused songwriting trope that I most hate - the one that goes essentially like this, "Girl/boy you complete me, and now that I have you we can accomplish anything." BARF! Lizzo on the other hand in song after song, extols the virtues of self love, self determination, self recovery, and independence; and that when loneliness does set in, having some friends step up to help return you to your greatness is better than culturally-mandated coupling.
    I've not felt this passionately about a young artists in a very long time. Today it was announced that her single Truth Hurts will be sitting at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart this week! Sure, every year there are a handful of number 1 hits that I really like, but this one feels different. This one reminds me, in a small way, of how I felt when Smells Like Teen Spirit was in this position.
    Please, if you've been putting off listening to Cuz I Love You, stop right now. It is funny, empowering, soulful, silly, important, and it rocks! Go Lizzo.

23. Elliottmarx

I saw Lizzo last night at the Hollywood Palladium. The show was ecstatic: a come-to-church for self-rehabilitation, self-care, and some necessary self-love. Amen. She was phenomenal. Captivating from first minute to last. While she's clearly put in a lifetime of work, it seems she was born for this - she is the zeitgeist (or at least, one of the few true pleasures of 2019.) And in spite of Lizzo's luminous shine, the audience was the real presence in the room. It was a treat, and heartening to be with such a beautiful and young group of devoted fans. All loving their particular moment with their particular hero. Plenty of diversity to be sure, but it was commonality which had us all dancing and singing along at the top of our lungs. It was very exciting to be included in that youthful, and oh so crowded pit, as we moved and hollered as one. Just a great night.

24. Wired4Fun

Got my copy of her RSD release and was pleasantly surprised it was 45rpm and sounded pretty fantastic! :)

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I went to the DC S-K show where Lizzo opened but I have zero memory of her performance.

Probably because it's likely I skipped it!

The 9:30 Club posts times when the opener and the headliner hit the stage, and if I've never heard of the opener, I usually skip 'em.

Yes, I'm a horrible person! I'm old and don't want to stand for the extra hour or so! :hide:

JDeanB likes this.