Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Any Los Angeles-based Record Collectors?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StevenC, Jan 13, 2021 at 11:02 PM.

1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

Hoping for a recommendation...

I'll be in LA and I know you have to be careful out there right now but I mask up and I distance. I know Amoeba Hollywood is closed but I had this grand plan to escape the in-laws and go to Rockaway in Silver Lake. But, it too is closed.

I'll be around the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena area.

What I'm hoping for is a place that sells nice condition used records.
    So, while Mono Records is cheap, they're not always in the best shape..

I'm looking for a place where I may find a copy of original Cure record or Pixies record for $50 vs. a place where I'd find a tattered version of "Tango In the Night" for $9.00 if that makes sense? Hoping for somewhere I may find some great stuff vs. records for the sake of buying records...

Any recommendations?

THANKS!

2. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I believe Record Parlour down the street from Amoeba is open.

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Welcome to L.A.!! (soon).

I highly recommend the following:

Freakbeat Records in Sherman Oaks

Atomic Records in Burbank

CD Trader in Tarzana

The Record Parlour in Hollywood

Canterbury Records
    in Pasadena
    *This one's not on par with the others, but if you're there anyway it's worth checking out. The last time I stopped in I got a whole bunch of Record Store Day releases from the previous year that I had been looking for.

I hope you have a fruitful trip, enjoy & BE SAFE!

4. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

As MotorCityDave (RIP) used to say: STAY AWAY FROM MY STORES! :p
    Record Surplus - Santa Monica
    Soundsations - Near LAX
    As mentioned already:
    CD Trader - Tarzana
    Freakbeat - Sherman Oaks
    Record Parlour - Hollywood

latheofheaven likes this.
  5. StevenC

Thank you so far!

Great lists for me to check out! Leaning toward Atomic and Record Parlour... just based on proximity

latheofheaven likes this.
  6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of Record Parlour, the few times I've stopped by their prices were not in line with condition. And there's an old Fremer interview with the owners where someone actually made this comment, politely, and the owners replies were incredibly childish. Atomic in Burbank has long been regarded as one of the best in town and I've gotten a lot of my best stuff there. Rockaway Records is also in that neighborhood you're in and is another favorite. They typically have a lot of great Beatles pressings as well, if you were looking for any.

Matt Starr likes this.
  7. StevenC

thanks for the response. I love Rockaway but one of the reasons I’m asking for recommendations is that Rockaway is closed completely for COVID and won’t re-open until it’s safe again... I’ll try Atomic. Thank you. My fear is going somewhere and it’s largely new re-issues.. so Atomic sounds like a good choice that would have used and new... thanks again

mikeyt likes this.
  8. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Unfortunately, Atomic is closed for the time being due to COVID:

Atomic Records on Instagram: “We are still temporarily closed for in store shopping, but we are buying your stuff six days a week! #vinyl #burbank #jazz #records…”

They are a great store indeed, sorry you'll miss out. However, Freakbeat in Sherman Oaks has always been great and they ARE still open.

mikeyt likes this.
  9. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

If you can make it over to Sherman Oaks to visit Freakbeat (my local neighborhood shop and fave spot overall), Mendocino Farms is a fantastic place to get lunch. I recommend the Peruvian steak sandwich or Avocado Quinoa salad (I like to add steak sometimes but it's great by itself).

mackat and Matt Starr like this.
  10. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Freakbeat is my favorite too and Bob is the nicest record store owner I've ever met. I wonder if we've met over there but never knew who each other was, haha. Also +1 on Mendocino Farms!

mikeyt likes this.
  11. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Bob's the best. He once gave me one of their big sale discounts when I was shopping there the night before the sale started, after I told him I didn't want to wait b/c it'd likely be gone by the time I could pop in. It was only a few bucks, but I really appreciated it.

Matt Starr likes this.
  12. StevenC

Looks like Freakbeat will be the place and I'll try your recommended sandwich!

mikeyt likes this.