Any love for Antonio Carlos Jobim?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by misterclean, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Whenever I'm in the vicinity of a Rhodes piano (rare these days), I still often comp Jobim's arrangement of Brazil. The alt. take on the early 2000 remaster is worth seeking out if you haven't heard it.

Jobim & Rhodes piano. The best!

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I only have Stone Flower but very much appreciated

3. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Thanks for that, what a wonderful video. I know that song well but have not seen that video. Two consummate artistes at their peak. They looked like they were having a ball singing. They started off a bit tentative but really got into it as the song progressed. The joy was infectious and I had the biggest smile on my face and my eyes were almost in tears with joy...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I never tire of his music. He is cross generational and cross cultural.

Recently I bought a book of Jobim music. My present Sax mentor is in his 80's and a seasoned pro. He came in saw the Jobim book, and remarked, "That's a rarity, a music book in which all the songs are great."

I couldn't agree more.

Tord and Mal like this.
  5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

One of the best..I love the album collaboration with Frank Sinatra & Jobim

oldsurferdude and Humbuster like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

So essential, that if you like Bossa Nova, Samba, or exotica, you'd better have at least one LP. Otherwise if I visit, I will be suspect.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Aside from everything on the Getz/Gilberto album, I love songs "Wave" and "How Insensitive", among others.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  8. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

There's a compilation of his work called 'The Man From Ipanema'. Not exhaustive, but a great sample of his work, and beautifully packaged.

I would love to see the segment of ACJ and Sergio Mendes on the Ed Sullivan show in '65.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

For something more contemporary the 2 albums by morelenbaum2/sakamoto are really great... the first, 'Casa' recorded partly in Jobim's home using his piano, and the second, 'A Day in New York' being a live in the studio affair... jacques morelenbaum and his wife paula were part of jobim's performing circle towards the end of his life and ryuichi sakamoto shows himself to have quite a deft touch!

10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Elis And Tom is a brilliant album, so is the Sinatra/Jobim. I also have Wave, Tide, Stone Flower, and the box set. One of the greatest composers of the 20th century for sure.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  11. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Big fan (see Avatar). Love most of the work that he ever did but especially fond of the Sinatra duet LP, Composer of, Stone Flower & Wave

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

A long time fan. I still regret not seeing him in 1987. The 5.1 mix of Elis and Tom is superb.

Dbstay and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

"Wave" is fantastic... Speakers Corner cut a great-sounding pressing (don't know if it's still in print or not).

McLover likes this.
  14. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Seriously.... Are there any flat-out BAD albums by him, or ones to avoid? That might be an easier list to make.

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Beautiful album recorded by Jobim with one of my favorite singers ever: Elis Regina.

misterclean and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Currently out of print, maybe it will be back in a couple of years... and yes, it is an amazing reissue by Speakers Corner :)

Also, for hardcore fans, Stone Flower ORG Music 2LP 45rpm cut by Bernie Grundman is a treasure not to be missed ;)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Same here — digging deeper with Jobim has long been on my musical to-do list.

The original FAS & ACJ is my go-to Sinatra album.
    I enjoy the 2010 comp, too — but there have definitely been some criticisms of that set:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sinatra-jobim-complete-reprise-recordings.212341/

Tim Wilson likes this.
  18. Urubu from '76 is also amazing

19. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Love his music. Stone Flower is awesome (both the album and the song) and I love the stuff he did with Sinatra.

20. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]

I'm going to bump this thread open long ago because Jobim is one of the most important figures in universal music. Especially I do it to recommend an excellent album: Inédito (The Unknown). This album collects recordings made at Jobim´s home in 1987. There, a recording studio had been improvised. Recordings were made at night mainly to avoid traffic noise. They are songs that sound very naturally.

panasoffkee and audiomixer like this.
  21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Yes. I have "The Composer of Desafinado, Plays". I'm gonna place it in my playlist right away. :thumbsup:

DHamilton likes this.
  22. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Sinatra singing "Wave" it doesn't get much better than that.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  23. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

One of the favorites in my small 5.1 collection...you were lucky to see him. I saw Stan Getz that same year in Europe - I wish I could combine both experiences to hear them together then.

24. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

I like the Sandpipers version (it was the first one I heard) - but Frank's is something else! Was that one of the lowest notes he sang on record?

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, I believe it was his lowest ever. Low E-flat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.