Any love for Gordon Lightfoot?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TMegginson, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

He played it during one of the Rolling Thunder Revue shows.

It’s probably my favorite of his songs, which is a damn near impossible thing to pick. Conjures up the carefree feeling of being a single 20-something year old during a summer weekend, a beer in your hand, your best friend by your side, ready to set the night on fire and potentially end up in a beautiful stranger’s bed the next morning.

“Whatever it was, you know it was all because I’ve been on the town washing the ******** down.” Indeed.

Keith todaro and lucan_g like this.
  2. FriendlyRanger

FriendlyRanger Forum Resident

Gord's early bassist, John Stockfish, was the bassist on the Croce album. Even appeared with Jim and Ingrid on television.

Croce's very first album, the one his parents gave him the money to record attempting to discourage him from pursuing music as a career, started with a Lightfoot cover, too.

grapenut, WMTC and carlwm like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks for the link, I think Brad recommended this as well a few years ago.
    I've been slowly grabbing his LP's and Cd's over the decades and this will fit in nicely :)

WMTC and carlwm like this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm sure you'll find plenty to enjoy. He's excellent!

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree his voice is not what it once was but I agree he'd still be able to write great songs and it is his writing that is a major part that draws me to his music.

Keith todaro, carlwm and Jarleboy like this.
  6. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

One of the very best songwriters with the warmest voice imaginable. What´s not to like? :righton:

My favourite of his is "MINSTREL OF THE DAWN". One of about 50. At least.

7. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Now that is special!!!!!! Thank you for sharing; I have never heard it before. Literally just made my day!

FriendlyRanger, Jarleboy and carlwm like this.
  8. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Sure thing! I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit - great two disc set.

c-eling, Jarleboy and carlwm like this.
  9. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I'm a long time, serious fan. I've seen Gord in concert more times than I've seen any other artist.

I actually got to meet him (and entire band) briefly after a show in March, 2000. They were all beyond friendly, warm and accommodating. The entire band signed my Shadows vinyl LP cover.

I recommend the 4-disc, reasonably-priced Songbook box set to anyone interested in a thorough overview of Lightfoot's illustrious musical career.

Keith todaro and carlwm like this.
  10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

A long time ago I borrowed Gord's Gold from the library, because as a Cub Scout while camping someone had a little AM radio and some classic rock station would play "Sundown." I liked his stuff a lot. Then I borrowed an earlier greatest hits compilation, quite different, not as polished, but I liked it as well. I've never managed to see him.

carlwm likes this.
  11. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hi all
    Just spotted this thread. Great stuff everyone. There's been a lot of Lightfoot in my life!
    Grew up listening to a lot of folk music & learning to play guitar in a duo with my dad. One of the earliest songs we played together was Early Morning Rain but the Peter Paul & Mary version. Later he brought home the Sit Down Young Stranger album & we had a go at If You Could Read My Mind & Bobby McGee. This would be circa 1972. Anyhow long story short, we both loved the guitar interplay between Gord & Red Shea & I was hooked.
    Over the years I've bought every album & in particular love everything up to & including Dream Street Rose. However, I really wish he'd released a double live album around the mid-late 70s period like Denver, Dylan, Stewart etc as it would have really cemented his appeal here in England/Europe. Surely there's something in the archives?
    I still break out a few Lightfoot tunes on my guitar from time to time there are so many great songs & always with interesting guitar parts.
    He is so underrated & a fantastic artist.
    Sorry for the long post!

Headfone, joelee, lucan_g and 2 others like this.
  12. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

It's always puzzled me that the song "Spin, Spin" was never included on "The United Artist Years" 3 CD set that was released here in Canada in '92 and then it was overlooked for inclusion on Rhino's 4 disc set "Songbook" in the late 90's. A missed opportunity.
    I wonder why as it's a great song (and the B side cover of the Dylan tune is good too)

I once saw an original "45" of this at a record show years ago and didn't pick it up. That was a mistake as even then it was quite rare to find one in mint condition.

carlwm and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a great listen Jim is...: )

carlwm and grapenut like this.
  14. Michael

me too! will always be...

carlwm likes this.
  15. Michael

Indeed...great album.

WMTC likes this.
  16. Michael

they've got the same curls! LOL...

willwin likes this.
  17. Michael

not a bean in the bunch!

carlwm and Mr. LP Collector like this.
  18. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

It’s my top summer album. From the opening words of “Somewhere USA,” to the end of the “The List” (I often skip “Too Late For Praying”, because it seems out of place on the album.). The best antidepressant known to man, and I say that as a practicing psychiatrist.

carlwm and Keith todaro like this.
  19. Keith todaro

Keith todaro Forum Resident

Seven Island Suite is just superb - can never tire of it.

20. Keith todaro

Keith todaro Forum Resident

I must agree that Sundown is a “perfect” album.....in my small world maybe the only perfect one.

carlwm, grapenut and qwerty like this.
  21. Polyscias

Polyscias Forum Resident

I've been a fan since the 60s. Discovered him first through other artists' covers of his songs, mainly Peter, Paul and Mary. Decided to check this lovely songwriter out. Quite hard work in Sweden in those days. :) But it was well worth the effort. Unfortunately I've never been able to see him live, don't think he's ever been here. Not exactly a household name in these parts even though I've done my best to introduce him to all my friends. Every one of them likes him :agree:

Slim Zooms, carlwm and Jarleboy like this.
  22. Vic333

Vic333 Forum Resident

Just saw him in concert a couple of months ago. Still doing great shows at 80!

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  23. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

He did that song the first time I saw him, that was at Red Rocks in mid July of 1975. His "Sundown" release had been out for several months and several songs from that lp were played along with new material from his "Cold On The Shoulder" release. A great night with great weather! He was all over the board with his great catalog of songs.

Slim Zooms, carlwm and Keith todaro like this.
  24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Such a great songwriter. I have a cd a friend made of early stuff with sea shanties on it. Pretty cool.

Slim Zooms and carlwm like this.
  25. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

I love Gord as well. But if you read a bit about how he was during the 70s....he was a bit of a piece of work. Glad he cleaned up.

Slim Zooms and carlwm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.