Any Love for Jack Jones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Raylinds, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I saw Jack Jones perform last night at the Oak Room at the Algonquin Hotel, and it was a great show. At 72, Jack's voice still sounded great. I'm sure most people think of the "Love Boat" theme when they think of Jack, but he's done some great songs, and can get pretty jazzy at times.

The trio that backed him up was also furst-rate.

Anybody else like Jack or have seen him lately?

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I grew up in a home where his music was played, and his performances were watched on TV. He could double for my favorite Uncle on my father's side.
    Glad to hear he's still with us, and healthy enough to be performing too !

Interesting facts on the man here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Jones_(singer)

3. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

4. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

His Christmas album is a staple w/ nog and/or Martinis.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Jack Jones is one of the great pop vocalists ever in history. An American icon.

bluemooze and drew phillips like this.
  6. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

"Love..... exciting and new...."

Great song - for schmaltz that is! ;)

7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Great voice - I love the "Wives & Lovers" track on the Burt Bacharach boxed set. I need a good comp cd by him with that track - any suggestions?

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Raylinds

I had him autograph my copy last night.

9. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member In Memoriam

Great voice and a very competent singer. He seems to have perfect pitch. My choir teacher used to play his records as examples of good phrasing and annunciation even though the lyrics were insipid.

His choice of material was more suited to the Rat Pack generation than to my tastes. My Mother loved his stuff.

10. Raylinds

I know others that would agree withyou (myslef included):

“One of the major singers of our time.” Frank Sinatra

“The greatest ‘pure’ singer in the world.” Mel Torme

“One of the great interpreters of the American Songbook, and he’s singing better and better and better.” Tony Bennett

“He doesn’t perform a song, he lives it,” Paul Williams

Tony Bennett was there the night before (sorry I missed that show).

11. Raylinds

Sorry, I have no JJ on CDs other than the Bacharach set. I collect his old vinyl. I hope someone can chime in with a recommendation, as I am interested myself.

12. Raylinds

He seemed ageless. He's 72 but looked and sounded at least 20 years younger.

13. Raylinds

He did a really cool latin version of this last night.

14. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

He recorded a notable version of Little Feat's "Dixie Chicken", which I heard on a locally produced Kansas City public radio show years ago. The show was called The Bad Music Hour.

15. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Its not that bad. Tasty M-O-R arrangement of the song .

Jack Jones has a great set of pipes,
    used with very good taste and judgement.

Its great he's still going strong.

16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I don't know his work very well, but I love "Wives and Lovers" despite the somewhat dated, arguably sexist lyrics. I always get mental visions of Rob and Laura Petrie whenever I hear that song.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

My parents listened to him.

Very good voice...

18. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I don't know of a CD of his vinyl years that equals what is on the vinyl. The vinyl was better in my opinion. Despite being associated in pop culture with the tunes "Wives and Lovers" and "Love Boat", he recorded some standards that will maintain his music reputation. For example, listen to his 1998 "Skylark" from the album Paints a Tribute to Tony Bennett, compare it to any version you want to, and it still comes out near the top.

drew phillips likes this.
  19. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

"Lollipops and Roses" has always been a big favorite of mine, although that's another one that reflects the questionable gender assumptions of its era.

Jack actually recorded "Strangers in the Night" before Sinatra did. His version is pretty damn great in its own right.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have this one:

Greatest Hits - MCA MCAD-11301

It was released in 1995 and has 18 tracks, including "Lollipops and Roses", "Wives and Lovers", "The Race Is On", "The Impossible Dream", etc.

[​IMG]

21. TopForty

TopForty Active Member

rockerreds likes this.
  22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

"Dear Heart" is also on the compilation I mentioned earlier.

23. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I'm a big fan of Jack's, but I admit that I am a bigger fan of his Dad, tenor Allan Jones who is best known for "The Donkey Serenade" and his appearances with the Marx Brothers in "A Night At The Opera" and "A Day At The Races" and the original 1936 film version of "Showboat".
    Allan and Jack have appeared together several times on stage and TV. Allan's last appearance was on an episode of "The Love Boat" in 1980 where he appeared with Jack and they both sang "The Donkey Serenade".

24. il pleut

il pleut New Member

yeah, good singer. i'm glad he's still out there singing. there's some judy galand christmas special they used to show on tvland or nick that he appears on. he was swingin"!

25. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Favorite album is probably "Jack Jones sings Michel Legrand". Originally issued on LP by RCA it was reissued on CD in the USA by Laserlight and may be OOP.There was a Japanese RCA import available a few years back. I really like Jack's version of " The Windmills of your Mind".

drew phillips likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.