Any Love For The 1999 Yellow Submarine Songtrack? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lemon Curry, Nov 8, 2017.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...huh?? Really??? I won't get into everything on the album but Nowhere Man *never* sounded great as it does here. Gotta seriously disagree with you here, Michael.:confused:

telliott and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

why the confusion? I liked the original mix best.

DK Pete likes this.
  3. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

I find the remixes way too bright and otherwise inferior to all other remixes available (of which almost every track has been remixed again since). I also think the track listing isn't anything special and so as a compilation it's lacklustre.

Contact Lost and Shaddam IV like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

No, I get that you do. I just can't believe it.

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

why? LOL...

6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm being fatheaded, I guess...your opinion is your opinion and that's that. I just think the remix sounds so much better than the original...most especially the harmony vocals which always sounded very harsh to me. All good.

7. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

YSS sounds like 5.1 downmixed to 2.0, it's loud and bright and has weird reverb. Belongs in the same rubbish bin as Let It Be Naked.

8. Michael

...it sounded good to me too, but...

DK Pete likes this.
  9. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I picked up the vinyl today. My wife and I loved it. What a fun comp/soundtrack. A keeper!

chris8519, JeffMo and 2141 like this.
  10. Trixmay 988

It has its moments, and prior to some of the latest remixes it would've been essential for stereo only listeners. But nowadays it's barely worth the listen. Too bright and makes everything sound the same.

11. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I have the same critique with Let it Be...Naked. There’s a sort of boring sameness to these, despite the clarity. With that, you lose some of the warmth of the originals (and excitement).

That, and as I’ve mentioned before, it’s a mixed bag. The Sgt Pepper/With a Little Help sounds much better on the YSS but they botched Eleanor Rigby so bad it’s almost unlistenable.

ARK, Trixmay 988 and Keith V like this.
  12. Trixmay 988

Yup.
    I think the first two Pepper’s tracks are the best remixes on the album, but even the title track is beaten by the 2017 remix imo

13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Well, I like the lineup of songs quite a lot. It’s a pretty rocking album in a psychedelic sort of way.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's for sure far better than the craptastic Yellow Submarine soundtrack album that was released at the time the movie came out.

moops and Keith V like this.
  15. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

I like the songtrack even if I don't play it often. I like the concept of it. Have I even played it since 1999? Hmmm... Maybe I should haul it out again. :)

I like the soundtrack too. I'm easy to please.

ARK and Mister Charlie like this.
  16. Michael

If not for Nowhere Man I would not play this at all...

17. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the YS Songtrack in 1999 and the remastered version in 2012. I like the fact that all of the songs that were played in the film appear in one collection. Have I listened to it lately? No, it has been a while since I have. However, I do recall the great impression it had on me particularly in respect of "Hey Bulldog". It sounded fantastic at that time. It was given a new lease of life and depth of sound.

Keith V, JeffMo and Blimpboy like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm listening to the Yellow Submarine Songtrack CD for the first time (the 1999 master) as I never picked it up and didn't know it was remixed until quite recently. I got it for a measly 20p in a charity shop in excellent condition.

The remixes are very fine, but they're leaving me cold, in a not dissimilar way to how Let It Be Naked does. Great clarity but it's too clean and sterile for me. I prefer The Beatles to sound like they're from the 60s, flaws and all. The only remixes I've liked far are some on 1+. I'm not saying this is as bad as Let It Be Naked, I struggle to get through that and usually can't. This is very listenable and enjoyable, but I haven't preferred one track to the original so far. A really cool tracklist though. I'd love to have George's orchestral score on it too. I always enjoy that.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    Drifter and Mister Charlie like this.
  19. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Yellow Submarine Songtrack is a favorite of mine and it’s very evident Peter Cobbin exhibited far superior remixing skill than Giles Martin is capable of. My only complaint with the audio quality on this release is that it’s bass-heavy, which is to the liking of the kiddies these days. I simply ripped the CD and toned down the bass in Audacity.

applebonkerz, boggs, Fred68 and 2 others like this.
  20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Was it remastered in 2012 or just repackaged in cardboard?

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  21. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

This is the first time I’ve seen YSS criticized. Kinda shocked actually. Just shows to go ya - there’s no album that is universally liked, not even this one which I thought was a forum favorite.

For me, it’s really great.

Marty T likes this.
  22. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

That vinyl is amazing! I know it’s digitally sourced but cut so well. One of the best sounding I have. Recommended

23. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

This may have been posted earlier - but it can't hurt to re-reference.

Here's a very detailed breakdown on how Yellow Submarine Songtrack was put together:

IT WAS 31 YEARS: REMIXED IN 5.1 FOR YELLOW SUBMARINE

Of note here is this quote:

The engineers at Abbey Road, and Peter Cobbin in particular, were very aware that we were treading on sacred ground and that we had to be very true to the integrity of the original songs. Beatles fans would be completely upset if these songs wound up sounding different.
    To be fair to Giles, this is not the mandate he was given. He was tasked with updating the mixes for modern sensibilities.

Cheers,
    Paul

AFOS, davenav, Marty T and 2 others like this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It was never remastered. The 1999 version was repackaged in digipac.

Man at C&A and Keith V like this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Ive read this before and it leaves me a bit confused. If Cobbin had no access to multi tracks, Giles didn't either for LOVE...let alone his proper album remixes...?

mBen989 likes this.