Any Love For The 1999 Yellow Submarine Songtrack? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lemon Curry, Nov 8, 2017.

1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Or, from my point of view, why the heck would you fade it out during them having fun? So dumb. Makes no sense. They clearly chose the right person to remix it, as we finally get to hear their end banter at a uniform volume.

Funny, indeed!

theMess and Rudi like this.
  2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Even better watching it...

3. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I love YSS. It put the tunes into a new context and a new perspective. It was great hearing OANS in stereo, and somewhat more balanced presentations of many other tracks. Some of the mixes are my go-to versions now.

I also loved the 2017 Pepper, which I know not everyone does. I just like to hear new things being done with the music.

I know people are clamoring for remixes of more classic albums, but given the anti-Giles backlash, I think the way to go might be to follow up on the Songtrack idea - a new compilation instead of rebuilding the old albums. I think this would reduce the outrage at "messing with history" because a new, unique track configuration would not be seen as competing with or replacing the original albums.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That's my favorite Beatles clip. :righton:

5. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Totally love this reissue and all the different mixes and true stereo Only A Northern Song. My only regret is that it didn't include the full length It's All Too Much mixed in stereo. That long version along with the full length Revolution 1 IMO remain the two greatest as-yet-unreleased Fabs songs.

hazard likes this.
  6. jojo_f

jojo_f Forum Resident

What mixes did she do that you think sounded bad?

7. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

You misunderstand. The the original mix doesn't "fade out" there. The instrumental track fades down slightly, allowing the vocals to stand out more, then it rises back to full volume until the actual fade-out. Haven't you heard it?

O Don Piano likes this.
  8. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

All of them, it's as if her ears were filled with dirt or something. :shh:

Bring back Ron Furmanek, someone who actually knows what they are doing with the material, and makes it sound great.

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Me too

10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I misunderstood what I was replying to. It's been a long day.

I happen to prefer the YSS mix where the music stays the same and doesn't fade, as great as the vocal fun is. I dislike the dip in the music in the original mixes.

theMess and D.B. like this.
  11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd Thread Starter

At the time of the release, It's All Too Much and Baby You're A Rich Man were the songs I obsessed on the most. The latter because it is a creative, reimagined mix that saved, in my mind, a mediocre song, and the former because of how great it sounded. In my mind, this version elevated the track truly as George's legitimate response to Tomorrow Never Knows. The version I previously had on the US soundtrack vinyl was thinner and a bit more abrasive. I always liked the song, but fell in love with it on YSS.

theMess and D.B. like this.
  12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

You missed my point.

The MUSIC track was faded down to EMPHASISE the banter on the original mix. It wasn’t faded out. That was a creative, inspired mix decision on George Martin’s part.

The music track on the YSS remix wasn’t brought down, so the effect is that the banter sounds random. Which it was. Martin felt it should be focused, and brought to the fore.

13. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

Yes, senior moment there. Of course, it's Let It Be, at 2:59. There are other gaffes in Beatles records, but I think those are the only two that grate on my ears.

Drifter likes this.
  14. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

It makes for a good compilation. The only one really to focus on just the middle of their career. (Except maybe Anthology 2, but that's mostly live and outtakes)
    I like the mixes too.

15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Oh no! You shouldn't have mentioned that!
    Now people will suddenly not like it! :p;):laughup:

16. paolo

paolo Senior Member

I like all of the mixes apart from All You Need Is Love. What is that harpsichord supposed to be? Sounds like a toy.

17. That chord is ingrained in me since 1970 as something good! Perfect example of a wrong chord that sounds "right". If I were to cover the song, I'd make sure to keep that chord in... :D

theMess and urasam2 like this.
  18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes it is a good release in my opinion. I shall keep mine and still play it. Plays through well I think. I have it on cd. Was there ever a vinyl edition of this?

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

see here:
    The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack

Flaming Torch and Lemon Curry like this.
  20. Lemon Curry

Yes, another poster mentioned earlier:
    The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack

These are going for reasonable prices for mint condition, $25 or so. I bought one yesterday (I've only ever had the CD). Sellers also have the yellow vinyl edition, which is a bit more expensive.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  21. Lemon Curry

Strat-Mangler and ohnothimagen like this.
  22. For me, YSS is essential for Nowhere Man, one of my favorite Lennon songs. It sounds terrible on Rubber Soul, and spectacular on YSS. Hey Bulldog is a treat too.

D.B. likes this.
  23. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

:agree: I was pounced upon for proclaiming my fondness for the remixes. I still love it!

bhazen likes this.
  24. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

After the travesty of Pepper 50, maybe some people have realised that YSS ain't so bad afterall....... :hide:

:D

25. Lemon Curry

Have you compared the 1+ version of Hey Bulldog (2015) to YSS? I haven't done that yet, as they are on blu ray and I don't have a computer blu ray drive. There are several overlapping songs.