Any Love For The 1999 Yellow Submarine Songtrack? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lemon Curry, Nov 8, 2017.

1. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I'm not qualified to comment because I only played Yellow Submarine Songtrack once, didn't like it.

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I'm huge on remixes, I have an aversion to the distortion I can hear on 1960s (esp. heavily bounced) mixes. So I enjoy YSS. On the downside is the reverb. It's not exactly rich, warm, and analog. It sounds a bit short and digital. Still, all things considered, I'll take anything on it over the original, especially Nowhere Man, Hey Bulldog, and Baby You're A Rich Man.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Mark E. Moon likes this.
  3. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Today's assignment for me is to listen again.
    Interesting that you pointed out Nowhere Man, Hey Bulldog, and Baby You're A Rich Man.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  4. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Agree 100%. I like the mixes that Peter Cobbin did on the YSS much more than Giles' Pepper 50. Wish he did the rest of the album tracks.

boggs, applebonkerz and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Unfortunately, it's not about your abilities, but who you are related to.

6. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Care to expound on why?

7. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Listened to YSS last night after not hearing it for years and some equipment upgrades.

I don't have that much problem with the mixes so much as I do with the mastering. It needs a serious remastering without noise reduction (the tapes weren't that noisy to begin with) and played back on vintage equipment. Sounds too damn sterile to these ears.

FWIW, I still like the original stereo mix of Hey Bulldog better.

8. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

well side 2 isn't the beatles and side 1 starts with the song yellow submarine which is the only song by the beatles I truly detest.

Hey Bulldog however is brilliant but I have that on a comp somewhere

Norbert Becker likes this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This is the only track I regularly listen to from this. Agreed, essential.

Fred68 likes this.
  10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I think you are confusing the "soundtrack" with the "Songtrack".

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

must be...

I know very little about either :)

12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Well...if you want the four songs that are only available on either incarnation, the "Songtrack" might be the way to go. It contains the fifteen songs featured in the movie, remixed, and without the George Martin orchestration.

13. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

nothing against Giles. his unique history and relationship to the Beatles music makes him an ideal Executive Producer for their projects. The role of remixer or mastering engineer, which he is certainly competent to attempt, should be in more experienced hands. Certainly the remastering teams from the 2009 reissues should be the key brain trust. Also Ken Scott, Geoff Emerick, Alan Parsons should be consulted. Sounds like too many cooks but the role of the engineers is critical to this work.

14. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

You say this as if the "backlash" and "outrage" is a real thing that exists in the outside world beyond the confines of the Steve Hoffman Forums.

15. Skokiaan

Skokiaan Forum Resident

I saw the 1999 re-release of Yellow Submarine in a NYC movie theater, where it ran for just a single day, shortly before the DVD and CD came out. The movie was in 5.1 Surround. The audience let out an audible gasp at the opening harmonies of "Nowhere Man." It sounded incredible. People actually applauded after many of the songs.

I love both the Songtrack and Pepper 50. No complaints (other than the odd choice to use worn out vinyl as the source for the mono promo mix of "Penny Lane" on Pepper 50 when a very clean stereo mix circulates among collectors).

16. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

They could have easily added "A Day In The Life" (also in the film) and the Martin score, all of which would have fit on a single CD, with around ten minutes to spare. Tack on Across The Universe, Lady Madonna, and The Inner Light. Bam! Sold.

theMess, ohnothimagen and AppleCorp3 like this.
  17. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd Thread Starter

I read somewhere that they didn't want too many Sgt. Pepper songs on it.

Fred68 likes this.
  18. slane

slane Forum Resident

That 'stereo mix' is not the promo mix though, is it? (It's just the regular stereo mix with the promo ending tacked onto the end).

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yes.

Jack likes this.
  20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Some karaoke versions of "Let It Be" emulate the mistake :laugh:

3 minutes in:

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Vinyl or CD?

22. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I read that too. Since they used arguably the three best tracks from Side 1 of Pepper, if they would have added THE best track from Side 2, it would have hurt Pepper's future sales, to an extent.

pablo fanques likes this.
  23. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

CD.

The same digital master was used for LP cutting too.

24. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

*circulates among an exclusive group of collectors, a.k.a. people who own the US Rarities LP.

ohnothimagen, Paul P. and slane like this.
  25. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I do, too. Yes, the original Bulldog mix has all the elements panned too widely, but that's part of its '60s charm for me. But mainly, it's the bass - centering it somehow blunts the impact of those amazing glissandos during the "You can talk to me" part. In the original mix they jump out of the (right?) speaker. On the remix they just kind of lay there, like 'no big deal'.