Any LP storage solutions slightly nicer than a Kallax 4 x 3?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Jul 8, 2020.

1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Currently using a Expedit 4 x 2 in the darker color, it’s almost at full capacity.

Space constraints mean I can fit a 4 x 3 but no bigger.. guess that means I’d better slow down buying LPs :laugh:

Does anyone make something with the same dimensions/layout as a Kallax 4 x 3 but maybe slightly nicer? I wouldn’t mind spending $300-$400 if the quality was justified.

boyhitscar and DryWhiteToast like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Have you considered making a 3-row version of this? This unfinished 2-row version cost me $90 to make and was my first ever woodworking project. A 3-row version would take 2 wooden sheets and bring the price to roughly $130. Get Home Depot to make all the cuts except for the diagonal ones, get the necessary wooden glue and screws, and you're set.

Took me 2h of work. Of course, you can add finishing touches like stain or paint.

[​IMG]

I've linked to the exact post in the thread with the plans for the trilevel design ; Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

The plans for the 2-level design are in the 1st post in the same thread.

It can look killer once finished but I'm far too busy to put the time for this. Here's an example of what someone else ended up with.

[​IMG]

cws, Clonesteak, Westerwick and 15 others like this.
  3. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

4. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

4 x 2 x 2?

Or call somebody who can built something for you?

ggergm likes this.
  5. SamS

Interesting! But I’m just not that handy with woodworking.

4 x 2 x 2 is not the same as 4 x 3 :p

Also, I should have been more explicit in my original post: IKEA already makes a Kallax 4 x 3. I’d just like something a tad nicer, maybe with some real wood veneer and/or better build quality.

Aftermath and trd like this.
  6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I think if you're not able to DIY this, you're going to have a hard time staying under $400. You might get closer to that number if you hire someone to custom build something for AND you provide them with the build plans. If you have any friends that enjoy some woodworking that's likely your best bet.

As you saw in Strat's post, raw materials cost is $130ish for plywood with a finish. You have to pay for someone to plan the project with you, buy materials, do the work, and deliver it. I'd assume round trip that's at least 4 hours of work all in. So pay them $20/ hour (on the low end) and that brings you to a minimum of $210. I'd consider that an outstanding "buddy" rate if you had a friend do it.

But those costs will rise quickly as you change materials and increase quality. Real wood veneer, add some cash. Solid woods, add some more. Unable to provide specific design plans, add some more.

Now if you want to get this from a company, they also have to cover overhead and standard business expenses. Accounting, marketing, facilities, tools upkeep, employee costs, etc. This is why you simply don't see a solution like this being mass produced. It would likely need to be priced closer to $800-1000 on the low end for what you want. It's likely the same price or slightly cheaper to commison a custom piece from a professional.

7. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

True. You see a lot of customized Kallax. Maybe find some inspiration there?

Or take a look for inspiration at the post your room thread.

jesterthejedi, SamS and displayname like this.
  8. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Neither am I and yet... As I said, first woodworking project ever! I'm as handy as you are. If I can do it, you can too.

Skills needed :

- ability to cut in a straight line for 4-5 cuts (for the 3-row model)

- ability to apply glue.
    - ability to operate a screwdriver or drill.

That's honestly it. I'm sure you have family or friends who are handier than you are anyway and as a 2-man project, this would take one afternoon only.

10. crn3371

crn3371 Forum Resident

How about something from lpbin.com

11. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Prathermade makes beautiful stuff. Britt Prather worked with me to fabricate a custom rack for my system, which subsequently became a regular product, the "Asher."

12. SamS

Nice stuff there! I didn't immediately see something that would handle the 500-600 LPs that currently fit in the footprint of a 4 x 3 Kallax?

k[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
    oobaa likes this.
  13. oobaa

oobaa Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    @SamS

They're 24mm ply edged with hard maple, flat packable and stackable
    maybe someone could make some up for you?

14. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Beattles likes this.
  15. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I use Ikea Besta with hinged glass doors on the front.

dorer, bever70 and SamS like this.
  16. SamS

Looks good! Almost identical to my current Expedit 4 x 2, but likely better quality.

My current setup:
    [​IMG]

And this is why I'd like something with a bit better build quality/finish.
    [​IMG]

Iving, Zardozm, Geordiepete and 3 others like this.
  17. Josquin des Prez

This collapsed because it was assembled incorrectly (the long shelf parts should be on the horizontal, the shorts ones on the vertical). I have used the larger 5x5 shown here, and now use several 4x4. They hold up just fine, if you RTFM!

18. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Mapleshade sells a modular system with each module holding 150-records. The modules are all solid wood and all made USA. Not cheap, but not overly expensive. I use the maple modules and they are well made - easily will last >100-yrs. Mapleshade Modular Furniture .

19. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

20. Josquin des Prez

bever70 likes this.
  21. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I logically know this true, but I have decided to only use 4x2 or smaller because of this photo. I figured I can add plenty of 4x2s or 4x1s anytime I need more. Just treat it like a modular solution. It just seems less scary to me.

But I do like the kallax option, and I think I'd be hard pressed to justify the cost increase of a solid wood version.

22. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

This is a painful/NSFW picture. :cry:

Stencil, quicksrt and displayname like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

LPBin is the best I have seen in OP's price range. I may try one eventually.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  24. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

From a practical standpoint I like to have easy access to regularly played and new items and separate storage for the rest. LPBin works great for the first requirement as the bin makes leafing through the current favorites pleasant and then the rest get put into the IKEA shelves. Simple and cost effective. Check out the thread LPBin Revisited.

25. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

You ain't kidding. :eek: