Any one with experience of MQA CD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Whay, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

If I understand the technology correctly, playing back an MQA CD undecoded is basically 13-bit audio, so he wasn't even really comparing MQA to CD quality anyway.

vwestlife and cdgenarian like this.
  2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

People who are interested in valid comparisons rather than industry hype.

3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

So in the absence of any available information about mastering sources, if an MQA-CD sounds worse in some important respects than its non-MQA predecessor should we just ignore the differences and say nothing? If the same MQA-CD sounds better in some important respects, should we also still say nothing?

Your comment about industry hype is interesting. The problem is, your comment isn’t applicable because I’m not part of the audio industry. In situations in which the industry has itself hyped certain technologies or formats or engineering architectures and so on, and which things don’t seem to be working as hyped to me, I tend to speak in ways that can upset some parts of the industry rather than support it. I do not buy into hype.

Your premise is laudable, but inappropriately applied here. I test and/or compare using the best information that is reasonably possible to obtain. After that, other audiophiles can use the resulting information as they see fit. Or not. It’s up to them.

4. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

That was my thought as well watching that video.

cdgenarian likes this.
  5. Carl Swanson

In the absence of information about mastering sources, we should say, "That's not a valid comparison."

As I originally commented.

6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

When one format refuses to reveal its sources, it makes your comment a complete cop-out. So stop standing on formality in a situation in which formality is unenforceable. Instead suggest a viable alternative, unless you’re an MQA supporter who is intolerant of challenge and comparison of any kind.

7. Carl Swanson

When they refuse to reveal their source, THEY are the ones copping out.

I don't favor MQA in any way. Quite the opposite, I'm becoming more convinced with every article I read that it's snake-oil.

If the two formats cannot be confirmed as coming from the same mastering, there is no way to do a valid comparison.

It's like, SCIENCE.

OldSoul, Hogues and Newton John like this.
  8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Oh my goodness, we all know that and nobody is debating it.

I am interested in making only the best possible comparisons available to me. The MQA group insists its format or process or mastering method is muscally superior for end users. “End Users” that’s us, at home not in the lab or at the test bench. Makes sense to just sit and listen now, because others have already done the bench tests.

It has taken a couple of weeks longer than expected to get the listening sessions done. People - friends in my music listening gang - sometimes aren’t available when I need them. But it’s done now. Little science; lots of listening. When I post the results, don't read them.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Pastafarian and TarnishedEars like this.
  9. Carl Swanson

The only way MQA can prove that claim is by comparing the same mastering on MQA and Redbook standard. Anything less is "smoke and mirrors."

I think we are on the same side of this argument.

wgriel likes this.
  10. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

:waiting: The eloquence of your past posts makes me think this is going to be very interesting. Looking forward to your results.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Purchased the Raven album without difficulty to Scotland. So you can, though I'm not so sure it was worth the wait. All very emperor's new clothes I feel...

12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I for one really value reading your insights. So please do not let people like this stop you from posting your observations. The insistence on absolutely perfect science when it is not even possible to determine what the original masters were is both unreasonable and ridiculous.

13. Carl Swanson

So is comparing apples and oranges.

OldSoul likes this.
  14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I think, as you'd said earlier, that you and @Agitater are on the same side of the fence.

I've bought three MQA titles; two downloads and one MQA CD. So, that's my experience with the format, oh and a Meridian Explorer 2 DAC just so I could get the full flavour of that MQA special sauce. And blue lights. :)

MQA makes huge claims about the sound. Even without an MQA capable DAC you'll supposedly get sound that surpasses bog standard Redbook (and that's a load of old cobblers).

However, MQA has no control, not one scintilla of sway over the provinence of its titles. So they get what the labels give them. Personally, I'm looking forward to the MQA of the remixed 2007 Trick of the Tail. Won't hold my breath, but there you have it.

MQA is a con, except for those of us on a 500MB data plan in which case, it has some wriggle room. Otherwise, it's another format screwing the consumer. Best avoided, nothing to see here. IMO.

PS The audiophile press, or some if it anyway, needs lambasting for the wholesale belly-up it gave this. Shocking how some journalists gave this thing a pass without any critical input.

goodiesguy, OldSoul, tin ears and 5 others like this.
  15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

But you would have us compare nothing with nothing, since the Masterings are unknown. And that is even less informative. So please just leave Agitator alone to provide us with his observations, no matter how invalid you may think that his comparisons are. OK?

wgriel and JimW like this.
  16. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I'm curious about the "A" part of the MQA acronym. I know it's supposed to stand for Authenticated but our resident MQA employee never explained how it's actually working. In the beginning I naively thought that there is some expert listening to the source and the MQA end result and he is authorized to give his stamp of approval. It turns out that it's probably an automated process.

So if this automated process is supposedly able to confirm that the MQA is identical to the master, why not (a) simply rip it losslessly and save the authentication time and effort and (b) how can an automated process support the claim that MQA will sound "better"? Have we already reached the technological singularity and AI are now able to make qualitative decisions better than humans?

Blank Frank likes this.
  17. missan

missan Forum Resident

Maybe so, but nearly all comments from anything music related on this site comes from not controlled listening. The same goes with hardware. So if we should only be allowed to have an opinion if we compare apples with apples; not much will be written here.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  18. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

The thing is, if he compares five albums of versions that are currently available, with the MQA versions, and likes the MQA versions better, people may be inclined to buy them. If they are as much better as claimed, people won't care what the mastering is.

19. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

According to the patent application, the only purpose of the MQA encoding is to provide lossy compression of "audio" frequencies above 24 kHz. Therefore if there are any audible differences between undecoded audio and MQA-decoded audio in a 44.1 kHz recording (such as a YouTube video), what you're hearing is definitely not because of the MQA encoding/decoding process.

Also, even with MQA decoding, you'll still only be hearing 13-bit audio in the entire audible range (0-24 kHz). A downgrade from regular 16-bit Red Book CD audio!

Much more info here: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

[​IMG]

20. Carl Swanson

Correct. I'd rather have no information than false or faulty information, or disinformation, if you prefer to call it that.

billnunan likes this.
  21. Carl Swanson

They usually don't.

22. Carl Swanson

. . . but what little is written will actually be valid and useful.

23. missan

missan Forum Resident

But the site will cease to exist.

24. Carl Swanson

Well, maybe 1 or 2% of it . . .

25. missan

missan Forum Resident

No, 1-2% will remain, possibly.

Thread Status: