Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Well not so fast:

Here’s the official word from Corgan:

“A quick note about the National Wrestling Alliance, which I fought for, and won ownership of a few years back. We are NOT shutting down. So please disregard any and all rumor to effect. The NWA is not and will not be for sale, and those talent who are under contract remain under contract for a reason: which is that are the NWA and are trying to figure out a way to provide our great fans with wrestling content in a very, very tough environment. And, most importantly, keep our talent safe and the standard of production you’ve come to expect from us at a high level. Anything less, in my opinion, is unacceptable. So yes, appreciate the interest, appreciate the chatter, but don’t appreciate the unsourced rumors and speculation.”

2. 905

905 Senior Member

I have barely watched current wrestling since around the year 2000. But there's so much great stuff from before that I still don't have enough time watch everything I'd like. But I've enjoyed skimming around certain promotions on WWE Network.

Overall I'm happy with the Network, though I'm looking forward to some more classic content.
    Bill Watt's UWF 1986-87, I was around 8-9 years old and a new wrestling fan, and never forget how exciting it was seeing those shows.
    I wish there was more AWA.
    I'm happy they added some more Prime Times from 1989 though.
    I like seeing Mid-Atlantic before the Crockett expansion as well, this is the first time I'm seeing it and it's interesting seeing so many big names before the mid 80s boom period.

3. MikeInFla

Check out NWA Powerrr on YouTube. While they don't have anything new due to Covid they have some pretty good shows with a classic feel.

905 likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Great memories.

MikeInFla, 905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

As soon as I saw the punch I yelled "There's DIMES ALL OVER THE RING!!!":D

6. Daniel Plainview

They need to bring this back:

gogators1, MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Oh, just hell no.
    Gimmicks and GaGa. Makes it hard for some to see the action. You do stuff like that when you have nothing else. The gimmick is the selling point. How do you follow it?

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  8. MikeInFla

Turkey on a pole perhaps?

9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

:doh:

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. MikeInFla

AWA was in inventor of social distancing. They did it with fake fans and a pink room years before the pandemic with the Team Challenge Series which featured the turkey on a pole above and intros like this with fake fans:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

So they opted to not go “cinematic” or CGI for the “Eye For An Eye” match. Just a yell of “His eye is hanging out of the socket” or something like that. Idiotic stipulation, ridiculous payoff.

Thwacko, Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  12. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

Yes, and Rollins "threw up" something that resembled my morning oatmeal ... LOL ... shoulda known!

Not sure I really dug the Bray-Braun "Swamp Match" either ...
    and the continued oversaturation of Bailey & Sasha?

What a rip!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

The whole idea was stupid. I saw the end of the match and it was ridiculous and not even remotely believable, which is what they were going for, or at least hoping for. For a stipulation as far out as “eye for an eye” you better have a good payoff prepared. They failed miserably.

Matthew Tate and j4yheindeo like this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The Swamp “Fight” left me flat. Asuka-Sasha had a senseless ending. The McIntyre-Ziggler stip only worked to make the champ “Super Drew” like Cena and Reigns before him. Dark days in WWE creative.

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

18. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

This company is in free fall

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. MikeInFla

It was also reported that not only did AEW beat NXT in the 18-34 demo, it also beat Raw and Smackdown. With dreck like last night's Raw I am not surprised. Apparently the whole show was written on the fly. Why write anything? Just have some matches. If you don't have enough to fill 3 hours just pull an old WM match and air that in a segment.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

21. Daniel Plainview

I loved Kamala. May he rest in peace.

This is probably my favorite promo of all time:

MikeInFla and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. MikeInFla

A bit of history on the character.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. MikeInFla

And his debut, which was filmed in Jerry Jarrett's backyard.

And finally, this update:

UPDATE: The cause for James “Kamala” Harris’ passing earlier today has been confirmed by his wife. Bleacher Report’s Jason King noted on Twitter that he spoke with the late WWE alumnus’ wife, who revealed that Harris tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday, likely from one of his weekly visits to get dialysis done. He was hospitalized that night and had been in good spirits this morning, but went into cardiac arrest and passed away this afternoon.

24. MikaelaArsenault

He had other health issues as well, and both of his legs had to be amputated due to diabetes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. MikaelaArsenault