Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

not since high school.
    but i did see some 'great' wrestlers of the time - Chief Jay Strongbow, Andre the Giant, Playboy Buddy Rose, Roddy Piper etc..
    i was working at the Whole Donut on Main St in Glastonbury around this time when Bob Backlund came in kinda late one night - he ordered a plain donut and a carton of milk

905, Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

piper/Hogan
    andre/Hogan
    flair/sting
    flair/steamboat
    race/Rhodes
    race/flair
    steamboat/savage
    midnight express/rock n roll express
    RVD/jerry lynn
    undertaker/mankind
    HBK/bret hart
    Bruno/Superstar Billy Graham

don't make me keep naming them or we will cry for the old days

MikeInFla likes this.
  3. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Austin/McMahon

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

that was listed as the greatest feud ever but its silly since vince cant wrestle. btw did you watch the Austin A&E bio?

5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Looks like Samoa Joe didn't have much time off. He is headed back to NXT.

PWInsider has confirmed that Samoa Joe is back in WWE and will be part of the NXT brand exclusively.

According to the report, Triple H ‘snatched him back’ as soon as he was able to. Once the decision was made by others to let Joe go, Triple H wasn’t happy and wanted to get him back in NXT, instead of letting him go elsewhere. Triple H was also the person who brought Joe to WWE in 2015 and at one point, had him on a deal that let him work independent dates, although that later changed.

Joe has been at the WWE Performance Center in recent weeks, although he was not backstage at last night’s Takeover. It should be noted that he was not taking bumps while at the PC. He has been out of action since February 2020 due to concussion problems. While he could end up wrestling eventually, that is not the company’s goal and Joe will be a non-wrestler, as noted below. If he’s not given the role of General Manager, he could also become an ‘enforcer’ for Regal.

Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Regal may be leaving.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Not yet... great show last night. Even though the surprise was spoiled, I still marked out... love how wrestling can still do that to me after all these years.

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

DiBiase/Jake - that feud lasted nearly a year. Jake had to take time off for his legit neck injury around the spring/summer of '89, so they did a work where DiBiase attacked him and put him out of action and then the feud kicked in when Jake came back, ultimately climaxing at WM6 in April 1990. I always thought that was a great way to end the feud. DiBiase won the match by countout (let's face it, the feud could not end with someone else in possession of the Million Dollar Belt), but Jake got his revenge after the match by DDT'ing DiBiase and cramming some money into his mouth, just like DiBiase used to always do to his opponents. It was the perfect ending to the feud.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'd like to mention the Funk/Flair feud from '89.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. MikeInFla

The Treasure's show (A&E) on Andre was pretty awesome as they try to track down a Giant Machine mask.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Yup another good one. You could literally have a top 10 flair feuds discussion

12. Matthew Tate

Andre gets a ton of respect still from the WWE and the McMahon family clearly

MikeInFla likes this.
  13. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

AEW doesn't seem to want to do the long multi-match feuds. They seem to want to space those big matches out and not have the immediate rematches. They also don't have the "return match" clause for title changes. They are much like New Japan in that way.

In a way that's good as I used to hate when WWE would run a PPV and the next night on Raw there would be a rematch from the PPV. What a rip off to those who just paid for the match to have it given away the next day. However not having a multi match series, it does limit some storytelling as you aren't creating rivals.

Also, without house shows and touring it's hard to have a long series of matches.

noname74, Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

don't mention AEW or cornnette might have a heart attack

905 and MikeInFla like this.
  15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I have to admit I have been really enjoying those Treasures shows on A&E.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Matthew Tate

hope it comes back for another season ns more new bios. wheres bios on

the rock
    million dollar man
    HHH

StillFlying likes this.
  17. WarEagleRK

I like seeing the cool old gear and memorabilia, but it's so horribly staged. Jimmy Hart apparently has his wrestlers gear stored all over Tampa.

The episode where they go to Dan Lambert's house and you see his belt collection was my favorite segment. I would love to see an episode just showing all of the belts he has.

noname74 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. StillFlying

StillFlying Forum Resident

I'd really like to see them do one for the "Greatest Intercontinental Champ of All Time." I've never seen a proper documentary on The Honky Tonk Man.

905, MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The Ric Flair treasures show is this Sunday. Two hour episode. That should be good.

Doggiedogma, WarEagleRK and noname74 like this.
  20. WarEagleRK

It should be. The Flair thing I'd love to own is the Vegas Big Gold World title belt.

Maybe they can track down the NWA title belt he put up for collateral multiple times after his WWE retirement match when he was burning through money and people willing to pay him for appearances.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I hope they find the belt that proclaimed him "the real world's champion" that the esteemed Jack Tunney had video distorted and had to be substituted for other WWF belts after the judge in the NWA lawsuit said could no longer be used!

Matthew Tate and WarEagleRK like this.
  22. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I would say the last well done, epic feud within WWE would have been The Undertaker/Shawn Michaels/HHH feud. Although they had the whole story and build from Wrestlemania 25 going to the "End Of An Era" match at Wrestlemania 28 as the main focal points, both feuds went even farther back than that. Taker & Shawn really started at Summerslam 1997 and HHH came into the picture before Wrestlemania 17. I think this will quite possibly be the last time a feud runs into the decades let alone 1 year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. WarEagleRK

If I'm not mistaken, that belt they had made in 1991 to replace the NWA title that they couldn't show and they kept distorting was a belt that Flair kept and got the name Vegas Big Gold by fans. It's the one that I mentioned earlier. Flair wore it during a segment on Fall Brawl 1994 and I don't think it was ever seen again. I'm pretty sure HHH has that belt now.

[​IMG]

Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Maybe they will go looking for Space Mountain. WHOOOOOOO!!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. MikeInFla

"Real World's Heavyweight Championship"
    In July 1991, Flair and WCW parted ways while Flair was still champion. The Big Gold Belt left with Flair due to a dispute with WCW Vice President Jim Herd in which Herd refused to return Flair's $25,000 deposit, a deposit per regulations that was required of reigning NWA World Heavyweight Champions and was to be returned after the conclusion of their reigns. WCW was forced to strip Flair of their recognition of world champion and introduced a new title belt design to continue to represent the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. The NWA followed suit and also stripped Flair of their recognition of world champion.

Flair soon signed with the World Wrestling Federation (WWF, now WWE) and exhibited the Big Gold Belt there, proclaiming himself "The Real World's Heavyweight Champion"[1] until WCW sued, upon which Flair instead used a WWF World Tag Team title belt, digitized out on television, on the (kayfabe) orders of WWF President Jack Tunney[2] until Flair won the WWF World Heavyweight Championship at the 1992 Royal Rumble,[3] thereby unifying it with his own claim.[4][5] Flair stated on the 2008 DVD release of Nature Boy Ric Flair: The Definitive Collection that the $25,000 he initially deposited with additional interest totalling $38,000 was never paid back to him, and as a result, Flair kept the Big Gold Belt until a settlement was finally reached with WCW.

With its return to WCW, the Big Gold Belt represented the NWA World Heavyweight Championship once again, being awarded to Masa Chono after his August 1992 tournament final victory over Rick Rude for the vacant title in New Japan Pro-Wrestling. Meanwhile the new WCW World Heavyweight Championship belt design that had been commissioned after Flair's departure also continued to be used.

tonyc and Matthew Tate like this.