Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

True, but the big faux pas for someone like Gage is the lack of professionalism and the overall concern and well being of his fellow wrestlers. I honestly don't even call what he does wrestling and he should have no business being on national television. Jericho can pre approve whatever he wants, but I'm still going to call him out for making a stupid decision for allowing something like this to go through.

JamieC and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Tony Khan ultimately allowed it so if you want to blame someone I would blame him for this odd choice for them.

JCRW and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Even if there have been much worse people in wrestling, it doesn't mean I want a bank robber, light tubes and pizza cutters on my wrestling program.

JCRW, MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

no I mean outside of the ring. the guy was involved in a robbery. there are people involved in way worse than that who still had jobs

blutiga and noname74 like this.
  5. noname74

Oh ok…on that point I agree.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'd rather watch Alexa Bliss control people with her mind and see zombies attack the Miz than watch anybody actually get cut with a pizza slicer. And that's saying something. Heck, I'd rather watch Goldberg come out of retirement again and huff and puff through a two minute match with Bobby Lashley. And that's saying a LOT.

MikeInFla likes this.
  7. noname74

That sort of thing has its place…however that place was in Japan with Terry Funk about 25 years ago.

RayS and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

yeah I mean no matter what feel about the montreal screwjob bret hart assaulted vince and remained a huge star for 3 years after that and then was invited back to the wwe and is in the hall of fame. nice of vince though to realize just let it ago would look better than filing charges. also from the stories sounds like undertaker and 2 cold scorpio plus rick rude and the rest of the hart foundation would have knocked vince and the stooges out and theres a few guys I just named that I wouldn't want to try my hand to see who is tougher

9. WarEagleRK

That doesn't mean you have to use him because others have done worse and had jobs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

11. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

geez, Bret Hart's actions are saintly compared to what others in the company have done. He spat on Vince when many could have very well taken it as playing out as a work on TV. Then you have the punching incident in the back and some recall that Bret made the threat to Vince to leave the locker room or else be punched out, while Vince's side has the "take your best shot" account where he asked for it. I would say a much bigger case would have been Stone Cold Steve Austin and the violent relationships he had outside of the ring. But there are more than a few big differences between Austin and Gage, number one obviously being Austin was the top guy at the time and one of the biggest draws in wrestling. Many in his boots always managed to have some dirt thrown under the rug. Gage can barely muster a crowd of 250 people in a broken down dive bar. The other big one? Austin (with exception to his take my ball and go home moment) was a professional inside the ring and had the trust of his fellow wrestlers with their health and to ultimately do the right thing. Gage is reckless, period. Jericho must have some big cajones to step in the ring with a bum like that, a lot of other people would have refused and said "call Moxley".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

according to 2 cold Scorpio it was more like Vince and his goons came on and told Bret to leave the premises and Bret did I’m going to shower and then leave and if you are still standing in the locker room when I’m done showering I’m going to knock you out. Vince said we’ll see about that. Bret went to the shower and came back and saw Vince and his goons still in the locker room and out his jeans on walked over and just knocked him out with one blow.
    That’s according to 2 cold Scorpio

If Gage is your acquaintance why would Jericho be afraid to work with him?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  13. WarEagleRK

There is the problem with that story. He is prone to exaggerate and even write fiction about the past.

He was an amazing performer though, one of the top in the US from 93-96.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

If you go look at YouTube his story is pretty much verbatim of the undertaker telling the story last year even though Scorpio told it years ago and it’s on YouTube as well.

15. WarEagleRK

I guess I'm confused. Are we comparing Bret punching Vince in the face and still having a job elsewhere with a bank robber who almost killed a man in the ring with his recklessness getting used?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

We are saying it looks like if Gage was a great wrestler who Drew money and didn’t do death matches people wouldn’t care that he is a criminal

blutiga, WarEagleRK and JCRW like this.
  17. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

There's too many different stories out there with slight alterations of what went down after the Screwjob. The middle ground that is all agreed upon is Vince went into the locker room, some words were exchanged and then Bret punched Vince. Even the strength of the punch and how high Vince flew off the ground is highly exaggerated today. Personally, I don't blame Bret for doing what he did. And I think it benefitted Vince for not filing any legal actions as a result as we are still discussing the lore of that day right now.

Never said Jericho was scared of Gage, he is more crazy than anything else to do what he just did. Like stated before, I wouldn't blame any of the other AEW talent for refusing to work with a guy like Gage. It would be similar to refusing to work with a guy like Bruiser Brody, New Jack or Abdullah the Butcher.

18. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Woah, let's not go that far. ALL of it is unwatchable. :D

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. WarEagleRK

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I was in the middle of "hardcore wrestling" for around 10 years over a couple of promotions. I liked the guys I worked with like Sabu, Ian Rotten, Necro Butcher, Corporal Robinson, Madman Pondo. A few were actual wrestlers. It was garbage, but it was what was hot. What killed me was the backyarders. I knew one that ended up a paraplegic. He was a good kid too. Actually had an amateur background. Attempted a "frankensteiner" and snapped his neck.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. Vince deserved that punch for doing what he did. He is probably lucky that all Bret did was hit him once after giving him a warning, rather than going after him the second he got backstage.

Stormrider77, JCRW and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"MY GAWD, HE'S GOT VINCE IN A SHARP SHOOTER!"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

The whole thing still could be an elaborate work lol.

JCRW and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. noname74

WarEagleRK and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I don't think it was, the only person that has called the Screwjob a work is Scott Hall. And Earl Hebner has waffled back and forth calling it legit and a work but if the stories are true that he hightailed it out the building along with Jim Cornette then it definitely sides more to legit. And it must take a lot for someone like Undertaker to get livid (he's the only reason why Vince went to confront Bret after the match).

The other big benefit is it solidified the Mr. McMahon persona as the biggest heel in wrestling, even though he didn't want it do go that way. Everyone benefitted from the event, Bret more short term though.

blutiga and George Co-Stanza like this.